PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?  (Read 8552 times)

highwayman

« on: April 25, 2008, 06:01:47 AM »

FROM THE MAIN WEBSITE

MESSAGE FROM THE VICE-CHAIRMAN
Altrincham FC vice-chairman, Grahame Rowley (right) writes:
Is Football so different – or should it be?

Looking back on the season that we have just endured I asked myself exactly that question – what’s the difference between a successful company and a successful football club?

Both need good leadership from a Board of Directors, both need good managers to oversee the business and both need loyal workers who produce the goods. So, where did we go wrong this season – if relegation equates to failure?

Firstly, we started the season unsure of our standing in the football pyramid. Teams around us were signing up the players in preparation for the season and by the time we had received our reprieve at the beginning of June, the cream had been cropped and the manager was left with the unenviable task of putting together a team to compete in this league with less than a month to achieve it. The early season form, and lack of points gained, especially at Moss Lane, has been the prime reason for our demise this season – no one is denying that.

Then, we also had our debts to pay back. Not of our doing but saddled with them, this Board has had to work extremely hard to eradicate them. You won’t believe how difficult it is to work week in week out just to service someone else’s debt. It gets demoralising after a while and I can honestly say towards the end of last season, the pressures were such that I thought more than once of stepping down from the Board and becoming “just a supporter” again. It would be great to just watch the team, go home after the game and not have to worry about where the money was going to come from to improve the team. That may sound like I’m feeling sorry for myself but just like everyone else I do have feelings and they can be hurt by unfounded comments – I’m just glad that when I feel down there is always someone around the club who’ll pick you up and put a smile back on your face because that’s what this club is all about – a family of people working together, doing their best.

Part of that “family” is our present Manager, Graham Heathcote. A past player, coach and secretary of this football club. Over the years he has had to deal with the many problems that have befallen this club. No manager is popular with every supporter and Graham is no exception here. There are people who are quite vocal in their dissatisfaction with his leadership over the last few years but very few look at both sides of the story. For the first two years in the Conference National it was a struggle. Debts still played a big part in our thinking and we were unable to finance a team strong enough for this league. I also think that Graham couldn’t believe how much the Conference National had moved on in the time we were out of it. Fortunately we survived both years but only at the AGM and were therefore unable to plan properly for the following season. I believe that supporters understood our struggles in those first two seasons but this year I think the expectations were raised. Firstly because of the experience gained from our previous two seasons and secondly because we cleared our debts during the season and therefore expected more money to be available for team strengthening.

It would be easy to blame the manager for our predicament and I’m sure Graham would be more than happy to take some of the blame but calling for his head and that of the Chairman is not constructive – it’s destructive. Graham Heathcote hasn’t become a bad manager overnight. He has great knowledge of non-league football and over the years has done an excellent job for the club. He does not deserve the abuse which certain people feel free to dish out. He, like I, on numerous occasions has made himself available for anyone to ask questions face to face. Don’t hide behind pseudo names – take these opportunities to pose your questions and get your answers. At the end of each season, the Board meet and review the position that the club is in. I would hope that the supporters have the faith in the Board to make the right decisions for the club and to stand behind those decisions. It’s extremely easy sitting in your chair at home calling for this person or that person to be sacked but as in business decisions made by Boards of Directors are not always popular but are certainly taken with the best interests of the company at heart. What company do you know which allows its workers to dictate policies?

I’m sure that it hasn’t gone unnoticed that the four clubs relegated this season are all part-time. Is this an indication of the level that this league has reached – probably? But it may also show that players in full-time sides have the desire to preserve their employment status whereas players in part-time sides can always rely on their full time employment and then move on to another club and pick up a part-time income. Is the desire still there, is the camaraderie there? Only the players can tell you that. But the days of players being at the same club for years on end have surely come to an end for the majority – unfortunately. This is now the challenge that the club faces – to find a “team” of players.

I believe that the Board of this football club have done a tremendous job over the last six years – people soon forget the mess that the club was in back in 2002. Geoff, Andrew and myself, who all had full time jobs, took on the challenge to get this club back to the highest level that its supporter base could sustain and to eradicate the debts that were crippling it. I think that we were successful in that mission and along with the recent additions of Barry, Derek, Carole and David the club has moved on further with the addition of a junior section and the association with numerous local teams/clubs. The club have also made essential ground improvements and brought the catering “in house”.

However, now that the club has achieved its initial aims, it is now time to take stock and plan for the future. What the future holds, no one knows but what we can promise you is that we will do our very best to keep this club debt free and play in the highest league possible. We will not however, put this club back where it was 6 years ago. If people want the club to spend money it does not possess then perhaps it is time that we stepped down and let another Board take control of the club. If supporters know anyone who would like to plough money into the club then get them to get in touch – our door is always open. However, it is quite wrong for people to say that we should be ploughing our personal money into the club. No one, besides our fellow Board members, knows what each individual puts personally into this club and that’s the way it should be. You can be assured that each and every Board member is working his/her hardest to raise finance for this club be it from personal means or fundraising events.

So, in answer to my initial question, I do not think that there is any difference between a successful business and a successful football club. Spending money we do not have is not an option. I believe that we have the right mix on our Board of Directors; I believe we have the right manager to oversee our progress and I believe we have the nucleus of a good side. The challenge, as in business, is to move onwards, increase income and build a team capable of winning games in whichever league we are in. With your support, I believe this club can once again become a successful one. Let’s work together and achieve this aim.

ENDS

Oh dear! - Has Grahame got a time machine? Does he have a crystal ball? Shum Mishtake Shurely!

COME ON ALTY! IT'S NOT OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER!

louise1925

Re: Grahame Rowley - Are we down already?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:03 AM »

Whilst I agree with most of Grahame's sentiments, I believe that it is far from wrong for fans to express a desire for change and a fresher approach, particularly on the pitch.

Narcissist

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:49:49 AM »

I like Mr Rowley and he deserves a medal for his efforts but this paragraph makes heavy reading:

Don’t hide behind pseudo names – take these opportunities to pose your questions and get your answers. At the end of each season, the Board meet and review the position that the club is in. I would hope that the supporters have the faith in the Board to make the right decisions for the club and to stand behind those decisions. It’s extremely easy sitting in your chair at home calling for this person or that person to be sacked but as in business decisions made by Boards of Directors are not always popular but are certainly taken with the best interests of the company at heart. What company do you know which allows its workers to dictate policies?

Who are the workers dictating its policies? Players or fans? Either way there's something not right there. Plus, I'm not sure we're all hiding behind pseudo names. Its not hard to know who most people are on this forum.

I'll bevoicing my opinions on here on Saturday/Sunday after the job in hand and just so you don't think i'm hiding here are my details:

Christopher Edwards
197 Chemin Des Basses Moulieres
06130 Grasse, Frances

Tel: +336 31 38 54 43

Feel free to respond to any of my comments.

I’m sure that it hasn’t gone unnoticed that the four clubs relegated this season are all part-time.

I also read this and it confirmed my suspicions on what this bizarre 'post' on the official is all about. making excuses for our relegation before we've even had chance to avoid it.

I take it GH won't be leaving in the summer, and I take it that the players have been told its not all that important as far as the board are concerned what the outcome is on Saturday because we're already down. Im glad GH will have another ready made excuse if we get another reprieve this year.

Just what the players will want to read today, well done.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:54:36 AM »

I'll bevoicing my opinions on here on Saturday/Sunday after the job in hand and just so you don't think i'm hiding here are my details:

Christopher Edwards
06130 Grasse, Frances

My Name is Wayne Thorley im 5 foot nothing Brown eyes and have used oil of ulay for some years; i will now send you some of my soiled boxer shorts in the post :P
ParkINson's red and white army

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:56:28 AM »

On a serious note though you are spot on with this comment;

I also read this and it confirmed my suspicions on what this bizarre 'post' on the official is all about. making excuses for our relegation before we've even had chance to avoid it.

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:03:23 AM »

Excited about the boxers! It'll make a change from soiled nappies!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:11:35 AM »

Ha ha nice one hope fatherhood is treating you well; speak soon

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »

I thought it was a very good post by Graham and highlighted the problems of part time in this league.Having said that this is the league we should be in(unless we get promoted next season)(ha ha)I am keeping everything crossed for Saturday(might make it hard driving to Weymouth though)I have seen this club rise from a small cheshire league club to winning the conferance twice and the FA Trophy twice.I still cannot believe that Wigan Athletic are a 1st Divison side after some of the thumpings we gave them.I think the G.Force is the team to take us forward,all be it if we do go down.
G force team,
GG
GR
GH
GB
Harold

markecky

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:20:52 AM »

I've typed and deleted this three times.

Sometimes maybe its best to say nothing at all, as Ronan Keating said.

Frosty

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »

I like Mr Rowley and he deserves a medal for his efforts but this paragraph makes heavy reading:

Don’t hide behind pseudo names – take these opportunities to pose your questions and get your answers. At the end of each season, the Board meet and review the position that the club is in. I would hope that the supporters have the faith in the Board to make the right decisions for the club and to stand behind those decisions. It’s extremely easy sitting in your chair at home calling for this person or that person to be sacked but as in business decisions made by Boards of Directors are not always popular but are certainly taken with the best interests of the company at heart. What company do you know which allows its workers to dictate policies?

Who are the workers dictating its policies? Players or fans? Either way there's something not right there. Plus, I'm not sure we're all hiding behind pseudo names. Its not hard to know who most people are on this forum.

Christopher Edwards
06130 Grasse, Frances

I’m sure that it hasn’t gone unnoticed that the four clubs relegated this season are all part-time.

I take it GH won't be leaving in the summer, and I take it that the players have been told its not all that important as far as the board are concerned what the outcome is on Saturday because we're already down. Im glad GH will have another ready made excuse if we get another reprieve this year.

Just what the players will want to read today, well done.

naked pics of harwood are in the post!

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »

What company do you know which allows its workers to dictate policies

Firstly, I would like to say that I appreciate the hard work and effort put in by the board and Mr Rowley in particular.

I had vowed not to post until after Saturday, but I’m a bit puzzled about this statement.

I may be wrong, but are the supporters being compared to the clubs workers? If so this is the only employer I know who charges its employees for the privilege to work. Surely a better analogy would be to call the supporters the clubs customers, in which case any company who doesn’t provide it’s customers with the product they want wont be in business for very long.

Of course supporters aren’t customers either – we are, in a sense, the club’s owners and the board are the clubs stewards in who we put our trust to run the club for us. Players, managers, staff and directors come and go, but I, like many will continue to support Alty until I’m resting in Alty Crem.

As for anonymity, I’m Mark Bennett and I stand with the Flaggers.

The Fan

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »

Just in case the players had any doubts that they couldn't do it tomorrow - a strong message of support from the board.

Sometimes its difficult to know whether to laugh or cry.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »

It is quite wrong for people to say that we should be ploughing our personal money into the club.

Who's done that??

I've found that most people on here are quite aware of the financial constraints the club faces and I don't think any other club would have such understanding fans. If GR reads this forum, which he obviously does, he has obviously misunderstood the general feeling here that after 3 years of struggling, dire negative football we need change.

We are not suggesting that we go mad and spend money we don't have. In my opinion what we need is a change of manager.

GR's whole message is just the usual Heathcote defending.

I've thought for a long time that the club lacks ambition and I think this proves it.

Jenga

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:02:19 AM »

A good message from Graham in my opinion.

Has the article been published two early? Was it suppose to be publish now or after Satruday? Is there two articles, this one and a winning one so it can be released immedaiately after the outcome on saturday? Has someone messed up by printing it now or did grahame post it on the website himself?

I often write reports at work, letters to clients and whilst writing them I think they read correctly, only for somoene else to read it and then I kick myself that something isnt worded correctly. Is this paragraph a case of that?

Maybe Grahame didnt mean to write this paragraph how he did. Having said that if he did mean it is defeatest and not acceptable.

We are all aware of what has happened this season, it isnt just a case of clearing debts and only having a month to put a team together. It is the team and management of the team. IF we do get relegated it will be by a few points, those points lost against Stafford Away, Grays at home, Northwich at home would have made the differenc. But so do the two draws against Torquay.

The question has to be have we played well enough all season, the answer if we get relegated is clearly no. But I strongly believe we had / have the players to have stayed up quite easily. So where did we really go wrong???

samba

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:14:23 AM »

Again, I don't think this should be discussed until Saturday night.  I think the fact that this message has gone out pre-Saturday is disgusting.  If I was a player in a team whose board members were already releasing messages about the teams relegation when we could still stay up I would be both sad and very, very angry.

What a f**king clanger.  I just hope if/when the players read this it just makes them angry and more hungry for victory.

Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team