PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 will we ever challenge in this league?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: will we ever challenge in this league?  (Read 6911 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: will we ever challenge in this league?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »

Let's stay in the real world. To retain our status in this league is achievement enough and will remain so for the foreseeable future - be satisfied with that. Too many people have inflated ideas of where we could or should be. Let's accept what we are - solvent, sensibly managed and at the highest level we can realistically sustain given our low crowd base - and be very grateful for it.

Sensible post.

I cannot understand why we keep asking ourself the same question........It's almost like asking me if I will ever win the lottery ? Well I might do because I enter every week, but seeing as I only stick a few quid on, I probably won't

My hopes are to see the club get to the 4th round of the FA cup (big TV game) and the FAT final at Wembley. We can then see how we do from there. You never know - look at Burton

Mick,

On the evidence of our form in those two competitions in recent times, you have more chance of winning the lottery!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »

Let's stay in the real world. To retain our status in this league is achievement enough and will remain so for the foreseeable future - be satisfied with that. Too many people have inflated ideas of where we could or should be. Let's accept what we are - solvent, sensibly managed and at the highest level we can realistically sustain given our low crowd base - and be very grateful for it.

Sensible post.

I cannot understand why we keep asking ourself the same question........It's almost like asking me if I will ever win the lottery ? Well I might do because I enter every week, but seeing as I only stick a few quid on, I probably won't

My hopes are to see the club get to the 4th round of the FA cup (big TV game) and the FAT final at Wembley. We can then see how we do from there. You never know - look at Burton

Mick,

On the evidence of our form in those two competitions in recent times, you have more chance of winning the lottery!

;D ;D ;D
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Jacko

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »

The question is will we ever challenge without the cash, is it possible? I dont recall anyone ever asking me that

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

if blackpool can get in the premership with their budget and crowds then there is hope as we are a similar small fish in the bsp as to them in the championship let alone premiership- they have got there on team work and spirit

Butty

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 10:58:01 PM »

Yes, we will challenge in this league. But in order to do that, survival of the fittest has to take place and those who spend what they can't afford will have to be taken out of the equation then by the powers that be. Once they are out of the way, hopefully leaving us a bit higher up, with some good media support and publicity, we will rise up the league, and gain an extra 100-200 fans per week, thus giving us an extra £20(ish) grand per season, which, on £500 a week, will pay for two decent players, which, two mor eplayers on top of the current squad, will make us into a decent side.
Not beyond the realms of possibility but it does rely on the FA/Conference doing something, and some sort of solidarity consistently within the squad.

joe

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »

Not sure where you're planning to do your shopping Butty but i can't see u getting two decent players for 500 quid a week. I'd say average at best.

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »

if blackpool can get in the premership with their budget and crowds then there is hope as we are a similar small fish in the bsp as to them in the championship let alone premiership- they have got there on team work and spirit

and training every day of the week :P

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »

at a long shot it could be done, inferior quality teams have prevailed due to teamwork, it would take a great start then the momentum would build, and no injuries.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

tottenham alty

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

Totally agree! Anything is possible.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »

I think the local Top clubs have to help out by arranging for the First teams to play frindlys against the local lower league teams.They took a lot of money away from the lower lvls in Football when the Premier League came into force,it would not hurt for them to support the local teams by playing a First team Friendly instead of going to China give Manchester and Cheshire fans a change to see em.
Harold

fuertes

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:20 AM »

Of course it's possible we'll challenge. Anything is possible, and at any level. Manchester City were in the third tier. Porto and Monaco were CL finallists. Fulham reached a European final. Blackpool, Swindon and Barnsley have all been in the Premier League. Oxford, Luton and Wrexham are in the same division as us. The list goes on and on...

I think we need a decent payday of some sort, either making the Trophy Final or a Burton-esque tie against a big team in the FA Cup. Either of those things could bring in £500,000 in unexpected income. The way we're run so sensibly, that could be put towards player wages, and perhaps more advertising to get a few extra in through the gates rather than wasted on paying debts. At that point, and with a bit of luck on the injury/suspension front, we could sneak into the top 5.

Obviously this isn't going to happen overnight. We need to be patient, but now that we're pretty settled as a stable Conference team, at least our ambitions go a little beyond praying for 20th from day one.

RobinRedhead

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »

We have not got the money that some clubs have and so it is difficult to compete but every now and then the right manager comes along, everything clicks, confidence grows and things can start to happen.

We were one of the big boys of non league football at one time but now we are not but that does not mean we can not compete. Blackpool were one of the big boys in league football at one time and they have found a way back!

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »

Just heard the bad news of Greg Young departing to York City  :'(   :'(

Until we can keep our best players from moving on to pastures new in the same league a la Chris Senior and Greg Young we haven't any earthly of challenging in this league.

I wouldn't begrudge someone moving to a higher league but to lose players to your fellow competitors highlights the massive disadvantage we have of competing on the same level.

If we were ever able to mount any sort of decent and sustained challenge in the BSP the management would deserve a knighthood.

fuertes

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »

Just heard the bad news of Greg Young departing to York City  :'(   :'(

Until we can keep our best players from moving on to pastures new in the same league a la Chris Senior and Greg Young we haven't any earthly of challenging in this league.

I wouldn't begrudge someone moving to a higher league but to lose players to your fellow competitors highlights the massive disadvantage we have of competing on the same level.

If we were ever able to mount any sort of decent and sustained challenge in the BSP the management would deserve a knighthood.

If we'd had a few quid in the bank and given the lads assurances that we were investing in more new players, I think it's likely they would have stayed. Just imagine if/when we have some cash in the bank to keep the whole side together. With our shrewd management team we'll have a chance.

Luton in the Trophy final in front of 60,000 anyone?
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 will we ever challenge in this league?