PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Messenger article regarding community sports hall
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Messenger article regarding community sports hall  (Read 9872 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Messenger article regarding community sports hall
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »

However, resident Norman Heringshore told the committee that ‘enough is enough’ and that an ‘entertainment centre’ would deny neighbours ‘the peace between matches that we very much deserve.

You don't deserve any. You bought a house next to a football ground that's been there nearly 100 years you plank!

I bet you didn't whinge about it when you bought your house for a slightly lower price than other ones in the area due to it being next to a football ground did you?

The hypocrisy of some people astounds me at times.

Anyway great news and well done to all concerned. And just on a side note, the power of letters can be persuasive. 58 people wrote in favour and 38 against. I'll be making sure I do make the effort next time it's needed.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »

10 min after the final whistle and the place is back to normal. Agree with Ballers no bugger forced you to move there. NIMBY's really piss me off.  >:(

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »

Wasn't there something on here once about some woman phoning the club during a night game asking for the floodlights to be turned off as they were stopping her kid sleeping?  ::)
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »

Wonder what he made of chequers then, a lot noisier than a sports hall and until 2am. Will be interesting to. See how the bar fits in to the hall , haven't seen the architects design yet.

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »

It's like people who buy a house near an airport and then complain about airplane noise or a house next to a church and then complain about church bells on a Sunday morning. Not very intelligent people. If Mr Heringshore would like to swap houses with me I'd be delighted to live within walking distance of the J Davidson Stadium.

I just wish these people would embrace the club and it's facilities.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »

I drove past a new redwood development the other day....every house displayed a sign demanding "no more development!!!"

I hope the interest in our new community centre leads to promotion to the FL....gates of over 3,000 every other Saturday and midweek, increased media interest and full time training.....and we should rebuild chequers just to piss these miserable hypocrites off.....don't like it?...pay more for your house and move to the countryside...probably in a new development and stick your "no more new houses" sign up and moan about the wildlife making a noise!!

well done to the club!...and well done to those who wrote letters of support...I think these all counted towards the positive decision!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »

Typical of the Messenger's feeble standards that their ace reporter can't even get Norman Herringshaw's name correct - he won't be happy!

As a local resident who also lives within a Clive Freeman piledriver of Moss Lane/the J Davidson Stadium, I have received Mr Herringshaw's regular newsletters regarding his campaign against the Community Hall development and I also got to have a chat with him last week when he unexpectedly called round to our house.

I immediately disclosed my allegiance to the Robins and, therefore, made him aware of the fact that I had a foot in both camps, as it were.

I do believe that he (and some of his fellow Sandileigh Avenue residents) developed significant misconceptions about the Community Hall project and objectives (probably derived from their unfortunate experiences with the wretched Chequers nightclub in its latter days), so I did try to address some of those qualms.

His obsession with using the phrase "entertainment centre" reveals this paranoia that the new Hacienda was about to be constructed on Moss Lane.

However, I believe that the chap has every right to lodge an objection to a new development such as this, whether it be misguided or not.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:48:05 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »

Some people seem to have a very strange bias where they think that their home should be the last thing ever to be built.

WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »

Shrewsbury has a town centre residents assn. Yep they moan just about everything that is proposed to improve the town. I believe they would prefer horse and carts and people emptying p---pots out of upstairs windows. Why can't these people accept progress and improvement to there local areas......

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »

Typical of the Messenger's feeble standards that their ace reporter can't even get Norman Herringshaw's name correct - he won't be happy!

As a local resident who also lives within a Clive Freeman piledriver of Moss Lane/the J Davidson Stadium, I have received Mr Herringshaw's regular newsletters regarding his campaign against the Community Hall development and I also got to have a chat with him last week when he unexpectedly called round to our house.

I immediately disclosed my allegiance to the Robins and, therefore, made him aware of the fact that I had a foot in both camps, as it were.

I do believe that he (and some of his fellow Sandileigh Avenue residents) developed significant misconceptions about the Community Hall project and objectives (probably derived from their unfortunate experiences with the wretched Chequers nightclub in its latter days), so I did try to address some of those qualms.

His obsession with using the phrase "entertainment centre" reveals this paranoia that the new Hacienda was about to be constructed on Moss Lane.

However, I believe that the chap has every right to lodge an objection to a new development such as this, whether it be misguided or not.

He wants to give his head a wobble and get a hobby. A man with far too much time in his hands.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »

Bit selfish really, people wanting to deprive the entire community of something just because they think it might be a bit noisy.  Anyway, how loud do they think a handful of year 6s doing karate on a Wednesday night can be?
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

markecky

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

It's worth pointing out that not all local residents are like that ( in addition to Cult ) but it does seem that some see it as a personal crusade.

To me the argument is black and white as non of them were there before the football club.  Therefore during any house viewing they will have seen a football ground and know that with that comes crowds, parking issues, some noise (wish it was more noise!) and bright lights.

Things have actually got better in recent years as the light pollution is no where near what is was with the old floodlights and we have managed to stay in a league where away fans are not the norm ;-)

The development won't be overlooking anyone and will improve what is currently a run down part of the ground both internally and externally.

I know that the committee have tried to involve the locals as much as possible and allay any fears and some appreciated it.

And aside from all this, there may actually be some things going on there that they will enjoy or could take part in.

As cult said though it is there right to object but it is a bit sad really.

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

Some people just don't like progress. I remember there was a lot of opposition to the Altair development, which has the potential to reinvigorate Altrincham. When I told Jennifer's Mum about this (when she was a local councillor) she said Irvine would jump at the chance to get this sort of investment in the town.

I am sure the new sports hall at the J Davidson Stadium will be of great benefit to the club and the area.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

Speaking to some local residents opposite the ground I know one of their objections was the 'extra traffic and parking' caused by the sports hall on non match days. I would have thought that concern would have been alleviated by the development including upgrades to the car park round the back of the ground, which kind of reflects the professional approach and consideration that has been taken in the proposal.

As an aside related to many planning permission applications, you do get a lot of objections to 'extra traffic', usually from people who own at least 1, often large, car. Do they expect everyone else to get around by horse and cart?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Messenger article regarding community sports hall