PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's game
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Today's game  (Read 43830 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today's game
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2008, 05:05:38 PM »

Longman, for me football isn't a my dick's bigger than yours competition. I'd rather be winning at Southport, Hyde, Droylsden, Stalybridge and Telford than losing at Oxford, Exeter and Stevenage. You play at the highest level you can, but Altrincham face being relegated from the Conference for the third year in succession. Doesn't that tell you something?

Seriously, on what evidence do you base your assumption that we would be winning away fixtures at the likes of Southport, Telford and Stalybridge?

By your logic, we would be better off playing in the Wythenshawe Sunday League, where we might win the odd game and you wouldn't have to travel far to watch us.

Clown.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

louise1925

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »

I want us to stay up, but I can understand where UC is coming from on this. Can we really say that it has been fun playing in this league. Even Gh has said that he has not enjoyed it. The idea that we might actually win from time to time and for the game to be played somewhere we can actually get to, is strangely appealing. Nevertheless, like Longman says, as a club we must strive to play at as high a level as possible - even if that means we will never be competitive. Would Derby have swapped playing Man Utd today, for Preston?

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »

I didn't say we'd be guaranteed winning at those places, but i'd rather watch the team winning than losing. If relegation means the club finds it's true competitive level then so be it.

Butty

« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

Yet again, "Were white and were red, were going oxford instead, cos we don't want to go to Barrow."
I think that song sums up our attitude does it not?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »

UC if we won at the clubs you mentioned and you clearly state you would rather be winning than losing then surely we would be too good for the league below and get promoted again ???? :-\

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »

I didn't say we'd be guaranteed winning at those places, but i'd rather watch the team winning than losing. If relegation means the club finds it's true competitive level then so be it.

But what would be the point of winning games in the BS North then?

Would we decline to be promoted if we won the league or the play-offs?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

You might not get a choice.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »

And as for finances the club is in a better financial position being in the conference 'struggling' than being mid table in the BSN

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »

But what would be the point of winning games in the BS North then?

Would we decline to be promoted if we won the league or the play-offs?

You're being pedantic. Let me try and explain this more simply. I would gain more pleasure watching Altrincham win a BSN game at Stalybridge than losing a BSP game at Oxford. Got it now?

crewe alty

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »

For those of you thinking we will be better off going down just take a look at the bsn table the likes of tamworth who we could,nt beat are stuck in the bottom half along with boston [although thats what they deserve].there are no gaurantees of ever getting back up.i would much rather be picking scraps up in this league and hanging by the skin of our teeth than going down.that said i think gh needs to take a good look at his selections and tactics as has already been mentioned anywhere else and he would be out of a job.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »

I don't think anyone has said the club would be better off going down.

joe

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »

Who says we'd win all these games if and probably when we get relegated. Look at Tamworth this season. They got relegated at the end of last season and have struggled in the bottom half of the Conf North this season.

VofD

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »

Early news of next week's team formation at Aldershot :

ONE > TEN

No strikers required as we will be going all out for a draw. >:( >:( >:(

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:46 PM »

But we would still lose games in the BSN so instead of prefering to beat Stalybridge than lose to Oxford I would rather lose to Oxford than Hyde, cos it would happen !!

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »

Wasn't it at Aldershot two seasons ago that Altrincham parked the bus across the goal?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's game