News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Never to early...

Author Topic: Never to early...  (Read 3652 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Never to early...
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »

... for extrapolation!

After 29 games we are:

15 points ahead of last season
10 points ahead of the season before
4 points ahead of the Robinson season (and therefore safety)

BUT ONLY 3 points ahead of 1999-2000 when we were 12th in March and still went down!

We are 15 points behind where we were in 1984-85 when we came 5th (i.e. in the playofs)

However we had jsut come off a run of 12 wins in 13 and were just about to start a run of getting 5 points from 10 games.

So, if we can get 20 points from the next 10, we are in playoff country!

fuertes

Re: Never to early...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:03 PM »

I said to my girlfriend last night, if we beat Vics and Eastbourne next two games we have an outside chance of playoffs, what with lots of home games and nothing too severe on the fixture congestion front (unlike the likes of Kettering).

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »

If we beat Eastbourne we do have an outside chance of the playoffs indeed.

If we can draw against Burton away there is no reason why we cant beat them and get promoted and play teams like Bradford etc etc.

WELL WE CAN ALL DREAM CAN'T WE  ;D

Personally I would happy with 20th this season if you asked me in August. Now I think 15th would be good, top half amazing and if we got to the playoffs I would cream myself and if we got promoted I would happily strip naked and run around Altrincham Town Centre shouting Wibble Wibble Wibble.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »

If we beat Eastbourne we do have an outside chance of the playoffs indeed.

If we can draw against Burton away there is no reason why we cant beat them and get promoted and play teams like Bradford etc etc.

WELL WE CAN ALL DREAM CAN'T WE  ;D

Personally I would happy with 20th this season if you asked me in August. Now I think 15th would be good, top half amazing and if we got to the playoffs I would cream myself and if we got promoted I would happily strip naked and run around Altrincham Town Centre shouting Wibble Wibble Wibble.

I think I'd join you!!

Realisticly we still have to make sure we are clear of promotion. If I may use Hull City as a comparison; they were top of the Premier League not so long ago (having got points against some top teams), but will be fighting relegation soon if they're not careful.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »

Realisticly we still have to make sure we are clear of promotion. If I may use Hull City as a comparison; they were top of the Premier League not so long ago (having got points against some top teams), but will be fighting relegation soon if they're not careful.

You're about as ambitious as Geoff Goodwin!  :D

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

You're about as ambitious as Geoff Goodwin!  :D

To me;
As one door closes another one shuts in you face
Every silver lining has a cloud.....

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »

Very different league though, top five well clear and everyone else bunched up.

In ours there is only one team running away with it and there are two at the bottom already down. I'm not saying I expect a run to the playoffs, but it's not out of the question. Plus, with only two more relegation spots to be decided, and the fact we're nearer the top than the bottom, I think we should look up not down.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »

A few questions actually:

1 - is the Conference similar to the Premier League in that the higher you finish the more money you get from the league?

2 -  IF we did sneak the playoffs (realistically not going to happen - but look at Histon), how do you think this current squad would fair in League 2? And would the football league allow us to remain part time?

I personally think if this squad went up, we'd stay up. There's very little difference in standard if any between 2 and and Conference, and I'd say League 2 is an easier league to be in with only 2 down and 4 up. And at least one team per season is going to start with a massive points deduction!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »

... the fact we're nearer the top than the bottom, I think we should look up not down.

I may have said this before, but what really bugs me more than anyrhing else in the NLP is that little box with the odds in in each match report.
We are always shown in relation to relegation odds (admittedly getting longer and longer). Teams around us, Rushden and Oxford for example, on whom we have games in hand, are shown with their promotion odds.

I think when that happens to us, I really will believe that we've got a chance of the play-offs. Until then, I'm just ecstatic to be in the top half. I never thought I'd see the day to be honest.

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »

... the fact we're nearer the top than the bottom, I think we should look up not down.

I may have said this before, but what really bugs me more than anyrhing else in the NLP is that little box with the odds in in each match report.
We are always shown in relation to relegation odds (admittedly getting longer and longer). Teams around us, Rushden and Oxford for example, on whom we have games in hand, are shown with their promotion odds.

I think when that happens to us, I really will believe that we've got a chance of the play-offs. Until then, I'm just ecstatic to be in the top half. I never thought I'd see the day to be honest.

I was thinking exactly the same thing in the caff the other Sunday.

On another note regarding the demise of Northwich Victoria, would anyone be able to run a league table which reflects the standings minus any points from Northwich??

We talk of losing 6 points if they go under but to be fair most clubs with lose 6 points! However it would be good to see.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »

On another note regarding the demise of Northwich Victoria, would anyone be able to run a league table which reflects the standings minus any points from Northwich??

We talk of losing 6 points if they go under but to be fair most clubs with lose 6 points! However it would be good to see.

There is a statistics site somewhere which does this. I lost the bookmark when my old computer gave up the ghost last year but I'll try and search for it. If I find it, I'll post the link.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Narcissist

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »

I said to my girlfriend last night, if we beat Vics and Eastbourne next two games we have an outside chance of playoffs, what with lots of home games and nothing too severe on the fixture congestion front (unlike the likes of Kettering).

Images of deeply disappointed girlfriend who was expecting entirely different proposal from fuertes!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »

There is a statistics site somewhere which does this. I lost the bookmark when my old computer gave up the ghost last year but I'll try and search for it. If I find it, I'll post the link.

It used to be on Confguide.com but they don't provide that facility now. Sorry.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »

Saughall,

Grahame Rowley made exactly the same observation about the NLP in his programme notes in last night's issue of the Robins Review.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »

We are always shown in relation to relegation odds (admittedly getting longer and longer). Teams around us, Rushden and Oxford for example, on whom we have games in hand, are shown with their promotion odds. I think when that happens to us, I really will believe that we've got a chance of the play-offs. Until then, I'm just ecstatic to be in the top half. I never thought I'd see the day to be honest.
Saughall, Grahame Rowley made exactly the same observation about the NLP in his programme notes in last night's issue of the Robins Review.

Clearly, Great minds DO think alike!  ::)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Never to early...