PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the BIGGEST alty game?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: the BIGGEST alty game?  (Read 17906 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: the BIGGEST alty game?
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

did your mate tony have a younger brother , called jonathan ? sadly deceased now.

I am not sure. He has a sister called Angela, and I think he has a sibling but a lot younger than both Tony and his sister. Tony will be 51 now. Their Dad came from Derry. They lived just off Hayes Lane.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »

did your mate tony have a younger brother , called jonathan ? sadly deceased now.

I am not sure. He has a sister called Angela, and I think he has a sibling but a lot younger than both Tony and his sister. Tony will be 51 now. Their Dad came from Derry. They lived just off Hayes Lane.

I remember Anthony/Tony Dean.

His family lived on Denson Road, which is off Heyes Lane.

Played football against him many a time!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »

we were on the special. about 10 of us from ags. i remember what a letdown it was when we drew orient.
funnily i never really felt in danger that day unlike sheff utd when i thought i might die

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »

pretty sure its the same family , all very tall ,lived off heyes lane and went to st hughs primary

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 06:10:01 PM »

Flagger M

Have to agree Barry's run and shot from the edge of the box was out of this world. Stepney was superb. Mal Bailey get the other?

Was any one else on the special train?

My one enduring memory of that train journey was Kenny wandering through the carriages around 5.40pm telling all & sundry that "Altrincham have been drawn at home to Leyton Orient".......when they were called just Orient of course!

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »

Of course there was the popular saying of the time when Alty drew Rotherham...

ROTHERHAM WONT BOTHER 'EM!

Not qute true for the first meeting in '76 (0-5) but totally apt for the 2nd round game we won at Millmoor.

Paul.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »

I've been a regular since 89-90 and one of my earliest Alty memories was the infamous 2-1 defeat at Stafford, all those Alty fans heading off down the M6, we must have had 1000 plus at Stafford that day, but not to be, we had such an amzing team that year. 28 league games unbeaten (still the Conference record I think?) and we still didn't go up.

In more recent times, I would have to agree with others, that win against Runcorn, I don't think I've ever been more nervous at an Alty game. The Promotion season, the final itself I wasn't bothered, after Nuneaton and Kettering you kind of just knew we'd do it. That own goal at Kettering will stay with everyone who saw it for a very long time. In the last 2 years of course our biggest sucess have been at the AGM, lets hope our season does actually end with the last league game this season.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »

Must say Runcorn for me, and even more symbolic is look at where the two clubs are now ?? I know we both 'scraped' through but that game was MASSIVE. We needed to get in the Conference North or god knows where we'd be now ... Never underestimate how big that game was to Altrincham Football Club

I went to the Play off Final the most confident I have ever been about anything to do with alty so that was never in doubt with me so doesn't count as a game .. Now Kettering and Nunny before it I didn;t think we had a prayer !!

markecky

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »

The 1000 fans at Stafford is often missed.  Yes its nothing to York etc but at that time it was amazng for Alty.  I remember it being quiet on the M6 and so my cars had Alty scarves in.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 09:23:16 PM »

Maybe just as big as the Runcorn game was the previous game,a Tuesday night at home to Worksop.Craney single handedly won that game for us which set up the tensity on that Saturday. I have never been more nervous about a game than that day!!!

Runcorn Boxing Day 1998 was also a big game. I think that was the game when we reliased we could win the league.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

Yes, totally forgot about that Worksop game and if we'd never got a penny for Ian Craney it would have been worth it for that performance alone. He really did win us the game that night.

In fact, in his own little way Craney is worth his due on the influential players thread. I didn't see as much of those dark years as others due to football commitments (now sorted through weight gain) but it seemed at times as if Craney was the only one who won us matches. I certainly think without him we wouldn't have been in a position to even challenge for 13th spot.

Alty365

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

Maybe just as big as the Runcorn game was the previous game,a Tuesday night at home to Worksop.Craney single handedly won that game for us which set up the tensity on that Saturday. I have never been more nervous about a game than that day!!!

Runcorn Boxing Day 1998 was also a big game. I think that was the game when we reliased we could win the league.

Anyone else remember Jamie Baguley's volleyed backpass to Coburn from the halfway line in that game?

I also remember a 2-2 draw away at Blyth in midweek where we came from 2-0 down. Gary Scott played despite not having fully recovered from a broken cheekbone and he was immense.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »

Anyone else remember Jamie Baguley's volleyed backpass to Coburn from the halfway line in that game?

I still have the occasional nightmare about that incident!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altyf

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »

I also remember a 2-2 draw away at Blyth in midweek where we came from 2-0 down. Gary Scott played despite not having fully recovered from a broken cheekbone and he was immense.

I literally couldnt believe my eyes when he did that!

A game that sticks in my memory was Whitby away towards the end of Unibond season and we were both around 14th/15th and trying desperately to get into the top 13. I think we won 3-2 (it was definitely by one goal) and Aspinall scored a pen. Also think an Alty player smacked into the advertising boards early on in the game and was substituted. Anyway, they had a goal cleared off the line in the last minute, only for a photograph to later prove that it may well have been over the line. I can't help but believe that if that goal had been given we may not have made it to the Conf North. Perhaps not as extraordinary as BPA away when we were 1-0 down with 2 mins to go and not really as important as Runcorn but still a crucial game in my opinion.

Foz

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »

I literally couldnt believe my eyes when he did that!

A game that sticks in my memory was Whitby away towards the end of Unibond season and we were both around 14th/15th and trying desperately to get into the top 13. I think we won 3-2 (it was definitely by one goal) and Aspinall scored a pen. Also think an Alty player smacked into the advertising boards early on in the game and was substituted. Anyway, they had a goal cleared off the line in the last minute, only for a photograph to later prove that it may well have been over the line. I can't help but believe that if that goal had been given we may not have made it to the Conf North. Perhaps not as extraordinary as BPA away when we were 1-0 down with 2 mins to go and not really as important as Runcorn but still a crucial game in my opinion.

If I remember it was 3 2 and I believe that the player carried off was Kieren Lugsden.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the BIGGEST alty game?