PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Parkinsons Media Control
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Parkinsons Media Control  (Read 6375 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Parkinsons Media Control
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 10:35:09 PM »

It’s a different Scottish cup, it’s the tunnocks shield or whatever it’s called. Their equivalent of the freight rover trophy. I’d still love to be in it though

To clarify, this is the Scottish PFL Challenge Cup, currently known as the Tunnock's Challenge Cup. As I understand, it currently involves Scottish Football League (but not SPL) teams, the Highland and Lowland League champions, and a small number of teams from Wales and Northern Ireland. Hopefully from next season there will be NL involvement again too, with the participant likely to be the highest team not promoted and prepared to enter the competition, suggesting we would have to finish third, or fourth if one team turned down entry. There is also the Scottish FA Challenge Cup, equivalent to its English namesake, and a competition for all SPL and SFL teams.

In England, there was the Full Members Cup for first and second division teams (who had enhanced voting rights in the reelection days, hence the 1980 debacle), and the Associate Members Cup for teams in the new-fangled third and fourth divisions. I don't know if the name is still used at all or when it was abandoned if not, thoughthe competition has been known by the sponsor's name for quite a long time.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2023, 10:38:12 PM »

Grimsby Town......classic quiz question from my yoof

Confusingly there is now a Grimsby Borough, plus Cleethorpes Town, who have been quite successful in recent years (including a certain Vase final). I don't know where they play though.

Did anyone mention Port Vale?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2023, 10:55:38 PM »

Cleethorpes Town are managed by our ex-player Nathan Arnold. I think they play in Cleethorpes now,but used to play in Grimsby, and Grimsby Borough play on the same site. However, I might, understandably, be getting confused.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2023, 11:42:09 PM »

Grimsby Town......classic quiz question from my yoof

Confusingly there is now a Grimsby Borough, plus Cleethorpes Town, who have been quite successful in recent years (including a certain Vase final). I don't know where they play though.

Did anyone mention Port Vale?
Think they were called Burslem Port Vale.....and then dropped the Burslem bit

They still play in Burslem....so I argue they are not a team that does not play in their own town
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2023, 11:44:26 PM »

Back in the 70s and 80s the answer to the "said" quiz question for 92 FL teams was Grimsby 
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Parkinsons Media Control