PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CSC Stockport out
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: CSC Stockport out  (Read 8604 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: CSC Stockport out
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 09:57:42 AM »

I believe Phil Wilson, he of the pancho villa moustache, was the first footballer to get tango'd wasn't he?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 11:50:12 AM »

He certainly was , i was going to mention as much myself, touche Sanghall 🤣👊

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 12:08:50 PM »

Phil Wilson is a member of the Moss Lane Memories Facebook group and regularly contributes

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 01:49:30 PM »

Fair play and well done Phil , absolutely nothing untoward intended in my previous message , on the contrary he looked a better version of the great Charles Bronson ! Pretty envious tbh.  On reflection i slipped up so apologies to all especially Phil of course.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 02:58:27 PM »

Your'e on the right track . We hastily arranged  a CSC tie v Macc to clear Jeff Johnson for the Orient replay as he was on a one match ban from his sending off in the first game and our 'reserves' won i believe ( we still got fined ) 🙂

We played at Macclesfield on the Monday after the Orient replay, which I believe was the originally scheduled date of the game i.e. we decided not to rearrange the game to enable Jeff Johnson to serve his 1 match suspension. I have a recollection of Graham Heathcote returning from injury & playing about 30 minutes before being withdrawn, having proved his fitness, to enable him to play at Brisbane Road in the replay 48 hours later.
From memory, Phil Wilson was the only other first team player that was involved & he scored a magnificent goal with a curling right foot shot from about 25 yards to make it 1-1, which was the final score.I can't remember the replay but have a feeling that we won.

Those were the days, when our reserves could get a result against Macc Town!

Speaking of which, is there any word of who we might get in the next round/when the draw is?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 03:59:37 PM »

Your'e on the right track . We hastily arranged  a CSC tie v Macc to clear Jeff Johnson for the Orient replay as he was on a one match ban from his sending off in the first game and our 'reserves' won i believe ( we still got fined ) 🙂

We played at Macclesfield on the Monday after the Orient replay, which I believe was the originally scheduled date of the game i.e. we decided not to rearrange the game to enable Jeff Johnson to serve his 1 match suspension. I have a recollection of Graham Heathcote returning from injury & playing about 30 minutes before being withdrawn, having proved his fitness, to enable him to play at Brisbane Road in the replay 48 hours later.
From memory, Phil Wilson was the only other first team player that was involved & he scored a magnificent goal with a curling right foot shot from about 25 yards to make it 1-1, which was the final score.I can't remember the replay but have a feeling that we won.

If you want to read the full story behind that Cheshire Senior Cup tie against Macc back in January 1980, may I refer you to Part 28 in my When We Were Kings series of articles for the Robins Review which covered that momentous 1979/80 season:

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/pikesley27&28.htm

For the record, the Robins’ ‘experimental’ line-up was as follows: (1) Billy Phillips (2) Ivan Crossley (3) Mickey Brooke (4) Steve Birtles (5) Graham Tobin (6) Dave Kelly (7) Graham Heathcote (8) Phil Wilson (9) Brian LeBoutillier (10) Stan Pearson (11) Craig Johnson and (12) Steve Thompson.

Graham Heathcote had been recovering from a hamstring strain and, so, this encounter with Macc proved to be an ideal opportunity to give him a run out and test his match fitness ahead of the Orient replay. It also marked Graham Tobin’s welcome return to first team action since incurring a broken hand injury in the 3-1 APL victory at Barrow back on 10th November 1979.

Incidentally, we won the replay at Moss Lane 1-0 by means of a Barry Whitbread goal.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 04:04:01 PM »

Speaking of which, is there any word of who we might get in the next round/when the draw is?

https://fulltime.thefa.com/competition.html?selectedSeason=59322608&selectedFixtureGroupAgeGroup=0&selectedDivision=0&selectedCompetition=72275471&ftsCompetitionPageContent.selectedFeatureCode=1_831164793

N.B. I wouldn't trust that Cheshire FA website, as I believe that they have problems updating or amending it!

I have been advised that we will actually play Alsager Town or Vauxhall Motors (not sure of the venue).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:39:18 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2022, 06:08:45 PM »

https://fulltime.thefa.com/competition.html?selectedSeason=59322608&selectedFixtureGroupAgeGroup=0&selectedDivision=0&selectedCompetition=72275471&ftsCompetitionPageContent.selectedFeatureCode=1_831164793

N.B. I wouldn't trust that Cheshire FA website, as I believe that they have problems updating or amending it!

I have been advised that we will actually play Alsager Town or Vauxhall Motors (not sure of the venue).

If we DO trust the site 🤣 it looks to me like Stalybridge Celtic or Cammell Laird.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »

Maybe we are going to be told that we are going to play Alsager Town in every round and find out we play someone completely different.
Also, I notice all the other ties are being played much later so there would have been plenty of time to rearrange it if Stockport really wanted to find a convenient date.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2022, 09:23:52 PM »

I think they have problems organising a senior football tournament, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they have problems organising a drinking session in a brewery ("now did anyone bring a bottle opener?"). "She wore a scarlet ribbon in the merry merry month, and when I asked her why she wore that ribbon, she said it's for the Alty and we're going somewhere or other". Can we please sing this if we ever make the final?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:26:36 PM by Hugh »

andrewflynn

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 11:41:43 AM »

It’s a fresh draw each round, so we’ll be waiting a while to find out who we play next.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »

In the past I've seen posts on here to the effect that Alty have to play in the CSC otherwise they aren't allowed to play in the FA Cup.

What's different about Stockport?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 07:31:00 PM »

I think exceptions are made for FL clubs aren't they?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 11:24:35 PM »

If the Cheshire FA website is to be believed, and there is always a certain element of doubt about this, we are at home to Vauxhall Motors  in the quarter finals on Jan 31st. I expect the date is just the default date for the round rather than anything  confirmed.

https://fulltime.thefa.com/competition.html?selectedSeason=59322608&selectedFixtureGroupAgeGroup=0&selectedDivision=0&selectedCompetition=72275471&ftsCompetitionPageContent.selectedFeatureCode=1_831164793#tab-2

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2023, 08:30:23 AM »

Plenty of time to have another draw (again) before then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 CSC Stockport out