PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 slowest and fastest.....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: slowest and fastest.....  (Read 6562 times)

Dougals Dad

Re: slowest and fastest.....
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »

I think it ws Flynny I heard once describing Dickie Landon as having the turning circle of the QE2

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:01 AM »

The three that come to my mind are Eric Shreeve, Dave Furnival & Gary Simpson.........but I think I agree with  two or three others on here.......Furnival takes it.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 01:00:26 AM »

I think it ws Flynny I heard once describing Dickie Landon as having the turning circle of the QE2

That would be ironic, as I remember Ballers shouting at me in a 7-a-side tournament in Chester between Alty, Hyde, Chester & one or two other supporter teams "Flynny.....what exactly is your turning circle"......as I failed to react to a pass he obviously thought I should have reached!

I think that was the day of Nasher's famous miss.......one of the funniest things I have ever seen on a football field!

Jacko

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 01:04:35 AM »

The three that come to my mind are Eric Shreeve, Dave Furnival & Gary Simpson.........but I think I agree with  two or three others on here.......Furnival takes it.
so this Dave furnival, how slow are we talking? Did defenders play tricks and let him beat the offside trap just for a laugh ;D

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 01:21:27 AM »

Fastest by a mile was Phil Darbyshire, who I believe also played for Stafford.

I do remember voting him at one time as player of the season, I also remember Ian Morris being another of our fastest players.

Here is an early memory for you of Ian. I was stood at the Golf Road end, I think in the 74/75 first season for me, or the 75/76 season. I was standing with my feet on the advertising board, leaning on the barrier just to the left of goal. Ian Morris made one his very pacy runs down the right side of goal, he was still hitting full pelt when he crossed the ball from the byline, for soneone to knock the ball in for a goal vurtually on the goal line. Unfortunately, he was going too fast to stop, fell from twisting his body to cross, and collided with the said advertising hoarding. The force of his collision knocked me off the bottom hoarding frame that I was balanced on - I was only 17-18 at the time. Ian knocked himself out cold and our trainer had to give him smelling salts to bring him round. I distinctly remember his involuntary bicycle kicks as he was coming round and being shaken from the collision and me falling off the barrier.

Some years later Ian played in some sort of charity match, or old boys game, just a few years ago when he was around 50, we all said he still had some of his old pace.

He was a great player, I have always enjoyed watching fast pacy players more than any other type, but those two plus Paul Showler (my all time favourite Alty player) were the fastest for me. Paul also combined much skill with his pace, and was a fine crosser, as was Ian Morris!.

Anbody remember the game I am taking about re Ian Morris, or the score, and who connected with his cross - may have been John Hughes.

Steve from Sale

Jezza

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 07:30:18 AM »

Fastest Paul Showler

Slowest Ian Tunnacliffe

although twas often said every time darren heesom got the ball on his wrong foot it was like watching an oil tanker turn to get it on his right foot.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »

so this Dave furnival, how slow are we talking? Did defenders play tricks and let him beat the offside trap just for a laugh ;D

Well, if you thought that last season's forward line lacked pace, you would have been apoplectic if you had ever seen the lumbering Furnival....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »

Fastest by a mile was Phil Darbyshire, who I believe also played for Stafford.

I do remember voting him at one time as player of the season, I also remember Ian Morris being another of our fastest players.

Here is an early memory for you of Ian. I was stood at the Golf Road end, I think in the 74/75 first season for me, or the 75/76 season. I was standing with my feet on the advertising board, leaning on the barrier just to the left of goal. Ian Morris made one his very pacy runs down the right side of goal, he was still hitting full pelt when he crossed the ball from the byline, for soneone to knock the ball in for a goal vurtually on the goal line. Unfortunately, he was going too fast to stop, fell from twisting his body to cross, and collided with the said advertising hoarding. The force of his collision knocked me off the bottom hoarding frame that I was balanced on - I was only 17-18 at the time. Ian knocked himself out cold and our trainer had to give him smelling salts to bring him round. I distinctly remember his involuntary bicycle kicks as he was coming round and being shaken from the collision and me falling off the barrier.

Some years later Ian played in some sort of charity match, or old boys game, just a few years ago when he was around 50, we all said he still had some of his old pace.

He was a great player, I have always enjoyed watching fast pacy players more than any other type, but those two plus Paul Showler (my all time favourite Alty player) were the fastest for me. Paul also combined much skill with his pace, and was a fine crosser, as was Ian Morris!.

Anbody remember the game I am taking about re Ian Morris, or the score, and who connected with his cross - may have been John Hughes.

Steve from Sale

Steve,

I certainly recollect witnessing that incident when that "fast and tricky winger" Ian Morris collided with an advertising hoarding at the Golf Road End....but I would struggle to pinpoint the match in which it occurred!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

VofD

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »

SLOWEST : Tubby Twiss
FASTEST :  Paul Showler

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »

Fastest Paul Showler

Slowest Ian Tunnacliffe

although twas often said every time darren heesom got the ball on his wrong foot it was like watching an oil tanker turn to get it on his right foot.

Mark,

Frankly, I'm disappointed in you.

Tunna moved with an idiosyncratic balletic grace that was genuinely appreciated by football purists.

joe

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

That would be ironic, as I remember Ballers shouting at me in a 7-a-side tournament in Chester between Alty, Hyde, Chester & one or two other supporter teams "Flynny.....what exactly is your turning circle"......as I failed to react to a pass he obviously thought I should have reached!

I think that was the day of Nasher's famous miss.......one of the funniest things I have ever seen on a football field!

That was absolutely hilarious! He actually claimed he missed it on purpose because it was so bad but he was defo trying to score!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 slowest and fastest.....