PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 People like Ray Armstrong are real heroes at the club
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: People like Ray Armstrong are real heroes at the club  (Read 4033 times)

markecky

« on: April 10, 2007, 08:34:46 AM »

"Ray Armstrong has been the Altrincham FC Ballboys and Girls Co-ordinator for 35 seasons but he is passing on this role for next season to Mike Antrobus. The ballboys and girls are excellently organised and do a great job to keep the games flowing at Moss Lane as well as saving the club a fortune in retrieving balls kicked out of the ground by the players. So, Ray will be greatly missed in this role - though, as he explains below, he will still be a regular at Moss Lane for future seasons and he is leaving the team in excellent hands."

35 seasons of unpaid work and organisation.  Never taken a penny for it.  What other organsiation could have such people?  It will have cost him thousands over the years as well for the privelige of working for free.   I think Ray even buys the boys and girls their trophies and momento's at the end of the season. 

You don't hear a lot about people like Ray and we just expect there to be ballboys and girls at Moss Lane.

Top man is Ray.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Red N White Dynamite

Re: People like Ray Armstrong are real heroes at the club
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:27:32 AM »

My earliest memory of Ray was his celebration of our late winner against Kettering in 1991. He sprinted down the touchline in front of (what was) the grass bank adjacent to the main stand going absolutely mental and quite rightly so!

I was only ever a ballboy for one game (Marine in the FA cup in 1994) but his organisation and the time he has given to the club have been absolutely amazing. It's things like having ballboys all kitted out smartly like ours that help make the club look so well run and professional.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »

It'll be really wierd having someone else in charge of the ball boys...end of an era definetly, Ray has been co-ordinator for as long as I can remember.

We have a very professional set up and the ball boys/girls are the icing on the cake....love to see the dash for the gate when the ball goes over..such dedication in the face of catching hepatitis C from the brook.

Ray deserves a season ticket for life or something as recogniton....but then so do a lot

Butty

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »

As a ballboy myself right now, I would like to thank Ray for all the work he has done for the club. He is a dedicated follower of the club who does his best for us and that is all you can ask for at the end of the day. I'm sure Mike will look after us with the same dedication as Ray, but it just won't be the same without him.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:27:41 PM »

35 seasons of unpaid work and organisation.  Never taken a penny for it.

Truly amazing thank you Ray
Come on you red and white........

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »

Why don't the current Board make Ray Armstrong a Life Vice President of the club in recognition of his efforts?

After all, he has been involved at Alty a little longer than Jack Crompton.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »

It'll be really wierd having someone else in charge of the ball boys...end of an era definetly, Ray has been co-ordinator for as long as I can remember.

We have a very professional set up and the ball boys/girls are the icing on the cake....love to see the dash for the gate when the ball goes over..such dedication in the face of catching hepatitis C from the brook.

Ray deserves a season ticket for life or something as recogniton....but then so do a lot
Lets put hime forward for an M.B.E  (Make buses easier to get to moss lane)I know some matches when 1 of his brothers have not been available he has Spent 3-4 hours on different  buses  getting to a match.
@AltyDaz

Ashley Alty

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »

Brilliant idea.  I agree with that sensible suggestion.  It's a bit like the New Year and Birthday Honours list isn't it?  The more famous and the more money you've made you're more likely to be given a gong, well Ray isn't a person to self-publicise and he sure hasn't made any money or fame out of what he does.  Who decides on these things?  

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »

Whilst we are on this subject and without wishing in any way to detract from the well deserved accolades Ray is receiving, one of the Stewarding Staff, Steve Jamieson will, I believe complete 25 seasons as a Steward at the Aldershot match.

25 years stewarding in the cold, wet and wind, exposed to the elements and lots of abuse, I think demonstrates the outstanding support and loyalty Alty depends on and I am honoured that Steve is a member of my stewarding team

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »

Whilst we are on this subject and without wishing in any way to detract from the well deserved accolades Ray is receiving, one of the Stewarding Staff, Steve Jamieson will, I believe complete 25 seasons as a Steward at the Aldershot match.

25 years stewarding in the cold, wet and wind, exposed to the elements and lots of abuse, I think demonstrates the outstanding support and loyalty Alty depends on and I am honoured that Steve is a member of my stewarding team
You've kept that quiet i just thought he was getting old. I belive between 5 stewards we could notch up 100 years of service
@AltyDaz

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »

Well done Ray, it is people like yourself that make the club what it is.

markecky

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »

I agree 100% with this..we can't give everyone a life vice presidency and people shouldn't be offended if they don't get one but I think Ray deserves it.

Maybe Grahame Rowley will read this and consider taking it to the board.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 04:26:03 PM »

Phil,

Are you the man responsible for the wind and abuse?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

teasybeaver

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »

That truly is the end of an era, my next visit to Moss lane will be strange without Ray and all this talk of floodlights that have all their bulbs working!

The club moves forward but we need to remember the people that represent it best and surely thats people like Ray!

LEGEND!!!!!!!!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »

Ray will still be attending matches but it will be strange to see him on the terranced side and not pitch side especially under new floodlights.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:08:40 PM by Darren »
@AltyDaz
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team