Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I hope that his coaches can reverse this quickly....!

Author Topic: I hope that his coaches can reverse this quickly....!  (Read 2544 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 03, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »

From John Laidlar's splendid website:

GEOFF CLARIFIES THINGS
Following the report in SAM earlier this week, (see below) Alty chairman Geoff Goodwin has clarified his view on the club's relegation from Conference National. Geoff has confirmed that he would have liked the club to have retained its Conference National status and to play at the highest level achievable but he is determined to look positively at the consequences of being relegated to the Conference (Blue Square) northern division.

Desperate and furious backpedalling......or has someone at the club had a quiet word in his ear?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

Re: I hope that his coaches can reverse this quickly....!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »

Rather than put a good spin on things and give the fans some optimism, I think the leader of the club should have come out with something along the lines of....it's sh*t, no point doing anything else, F8ck this I'm off home and so is the rest of the board.... I've sacked the 'cote....no point in the fans turning up next year to watch that standard of football, we'll be lucky to pull in 300 against the likes of Vauxhall Motors.

That'd keep you happy cult?

C'mon...look on the bright side....Vics haven't been able to manage a hat trick of relegations so once again we're ahead of them.

teasybeaver

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »

Jezza,

That is a bit of an extreme view. Nobody wanted Geoff to come out an say 'we are sh1t'. But the reaction was a bit too relaxed. Its a lot of effort to support a football club, the fighting spirit we need to get back in the conference should be reflected by the board. We need reality, not spin. We're not Tony Blair for f$cks sake!

Having said that, i see where your coming from, just think Geoff's reversal shows an over-reaction to the benefits of relegation. I think the fan reaction to this jolification might be what the club needed to remind them where we need to be!

Hopefully the ship is starting to find its course again. Who knows with 'scottytee' up front we could be lookin at league 2 in a couple of years.  ;D ;D ;D

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »

Who knows with 'scottytee' up front we could be lookin at league 2 in a couple of years.

Teasy by name teasy by nature eh?

If we are releagted surely the best way to respond is to build positively rather than spend all close season whingeing that you'd rather be playing Exeter? and yes, I'd rather be playing Northwich and droylsden but there you go...I'm looking on the bright side and the prospect of Hucknall's burgers.

teasybeaver

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »

Teasers INC. is a very serious fan group, our 'ultras' section 'The Chin Tickling Squad' will spend the closed season knitting and sewing scottytee jumpers and flags, a cult hero in the making!

Nobody wanted to  spend the summer whinging, looking at the positive aspect is what we need, but trying to make the negative aspect sound positive is different.

Vauxhall do a mean hotdog on a rainy tueday night as well, this is definately a positive spin on a negative event!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »

Rather than put a good spin on things and give the fans some optimism, I think the leader of the club should have come out with something along the lines of....it's sh*t, no point doing anything else, F8ck this I'm off home and so is the rest of the board.... I've sacked the 'cote....no point in the fans turning up next year to watch that standard of football, we'll be lucky to pull in 300 against the likes of Vauxhall Motors.

C'mon...look on the bright side....Vics haven't been able to manage a hat trick of relegations so once again we're ahead of them.

Is that truly the best defence of our Chairman's insulting pronouncements that you can muster?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »

Is that truly the best defence of our Chairman's insulting pronouncements that you can muster?

Yep!

Although I don't think it insulting for the chairman to one minute put a positive spin on relegation and the next to say he wished we'd stayed up..typical of some of bizarre Goodwinisms our leader has come out with maybe but I'm not insulted....he's got to say something, if i were chairman I'd probably have said something similar in a bout of get over it optimism thinking the fans would appreciate this.
....I'd have had to backtrack with my this is sh*t speech and been faced with "I hope his taxis reverse this quickly"

Be of good cheer Cult..a reprieve is just around the corner I'm sure....if not, well we've got a whole season to moan about only drawing with redditch and nervously wondering wether we can muster a draw at Vauxhall Motors to make the play offs in last place....super stuff I'm sure you concur!

louise1925

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 12:22:01 PM »

Jezza, just let him cry into his pint. Like the rest of us, he will get over it and then we can all march on together.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »

Er, there is a marked difference between putting a good spin on things and describing an obviously unwanted situation as a 'godsend'.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team