PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!  (Read 6614 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 02:18:25 PM »

I am still thinking i will wake up in  a minute and we will have beated Aldershot.The National is the correct league for Alty in my view,but i dont think its going to be the cake walk people are saying to get back up there,i hope i am wrong,but you only have to look at Leigh and Scarboro to see its not that easy to bouce back.Ok Northwich did it.
Harold

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »

Ecky. you make it sound like the club got relegated on purpose. Just as Altrincham FC didn't plan to get promoted, they didn't plan to get relegated. Promotion was achieved by sporting means not money, and relegation happened because the club didn't have the resources to compete at national level. As GH said at the fans forum last season, you compete at the highest level you can. Next season it will be Conference North.

It also needs remembering that after the last two relegations the club each time came close to closure. That hasn't happened this time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:02:27 PM by Unemployed Coalminer »

louise1925

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »

We got relegated. It was as GH says, inevitable given we are part time. That's why most of us remain optimistic. Plus, our chairman has stayed and so, most of us feel, are a majority of the players. As far as I'm aware, we have budgeted for Conf North for the last two seasons anyway. Sure, it's not as good playing Alfreton as Exeter, but IF we win the first five games next season, our profile rises, the gate rises (fans can be fickle) and optimism rises too! Plus, more of us can actually get to see a majority of away games (London was just too much for me) and next time we go up, we will hopefully be in a stronger position to survive. Though gutted and in tears on saturday, I am looking forward immensely to next season. Besides, it's not all Alfretons and Vauxhalls. Southport, Tamworth, Worcester, Harrogate, Barrow, Nuneaton, Kettering (maybe Telford) are not small sides. It feels bad right now, because there is nothing we can do about it - the season has finished. But, life will resume as normal in a few weeks and for once, we will be expecting to win some games. That's my rant over with. Hope everyone connected with the club has a good summer.
AltyBri

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »

We got relegated. It was as GH says, inevitable given we are part time.

It didn't appear to be inevitable in Stafford.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 11:52:49 PM »

As far as I'm aware, we have budgeted for Conf North for the last two seasons anyway.

I severely doubt that has been the case, I'd imagine the wage bill will have to be reduced one way or another.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

louise1925

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »

After the 18 point deduction last season, i distinctly remember reading a quote from Geoff suggesting we had budgeted for Conference North anyway. Also, GH mentioned this week that relegation is inevitable for part time teams operating in a full time league. These comments are all I have to base my opinions on. I am just trying to remain positive. I am looking forward to a possible promotion challenge next season, though I have to say, there will still be a good number of us with one eye on the financial debacle that is Crawley.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »

Have remained quiet until now, because I was basically numb from the whole experience (or was that just the excessive medication taken after the final whistle?).

I can understand those (including Geoff) coming out with comments about this being a positive thing. I think it is only natural for people to try and put a positive spin on what is obviously a far from poitive outcome. After all, would we rather see our manager and chairman involved in a public display of wailing and gnashing of teeth? It would serve no great purpose to the club if they were to publicly declare that they thought our relegation was disastrous and that we are doomed. If you are out there in the public gaze and have the best interests of the club at heart, you have to put on a positive spin (whatever you may be feeling inside). If we are going to search for new players for the coming season and genuinely want to get the best available at this level, then we need to convince them that Alty are going places and are the club to be with.

It hurts like hell. Breaking the bank to fly in for games against Vauxhall and the like hardly fills me with glee, I'd much rather be making sacrifices to go to Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Torquay and the like, but that's not happened. I'm sure most of us on here have replayed many of those chances on Saturday and wished they had crossed the line, but they didn't.

So where does that leave us? I think it is fairly safe to say that most people on here will still be there in support next season. Let's be realistic, yes, it is far from great to have been relegated, but we also HAVE to be optimistic for the forthcoming season. Nobody is saying it's going to be easy, but we do have hope......don't we?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »

After the 18 point deduction last season, i distinctly remember reading a quote from Geoff suggesting we had budgeted for Conference North anyway.

Er, so why have we been told that the wage bill will have to be reduced?

We may have had a budget similar to some clubs in the Conference North, although I have no doubt that our wage bill this season was higher than we could sustain in the Conference North.

louise1925

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »

Won't our wage bill be reduced by the departure of two contracted players?

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »

Yes it will, it I suspect it may have to go a little further as well.

This also doesn't take into account the possibility of bringing some new faces in.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 06:02:55 AM »

From the conferance offical news letter.Meanwhile,Crawley town has successfully defied the odds and have avoide relegation despite being docked 10 points at the beginning of the season for going into administration.The future of the Broadfields club is still in some doubt,although their survival in the conferance is a major boost and could attract new investment.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:16:30 AM by hsmith1 »
Harold
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!