PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!  (Read 6614 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:54 PM »

I have been very motivated by the mature & positive response to Saturday's disappointment...it reflects the truly healthy state of Altrincham Football Club & the quality of its supporters.

Graham Heathcote is also upbeat about Saturday & the future on his ClubCall interview now available by calling 09066 555902.

Brian

lukealty12

Re: Best Response to relegation ever!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »

ill check it out tommorow

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:24:02 AM »

I have been very motivated by the mature & positive response to Saturday's disappointment...it reflects the truly healthy state of Altrincham Football Club & the quality of its supporters.

Brian

Sorry, Brian.....but it looks to me as if a host of people have been brainwashed into thinking that relegation is a positive step!

Yours, still in despair.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »

Brian

Sorry, Brian.....but it looks to me as if a host of people have been brainwashed into thinking that relegation is a positive step!

Yours, still in despair.

Of course it's a positive step; there will be far less travelling next season. We can all be home for Ant & Dec/X Factor/somesh*tethatstartsat7ish.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »

No-one has brainwashed me.

Perhaps it's a selfish viewpoint to look forward to be able to afford the time and money to get to some away games in a friendlier atmosphere in a league we can genuinely compete at.

But I can see lots of positives....we'll be able to blood Pat Mcfadden, we can sign players as and when we like etc etc etc.

Having said that I'd have loved to have stayed up as maybe this year we would have been able to kick on in the conference but we may as well do that in the North and go up maybe with a team ready to challenge for the play offs to the football league....and knowing us we'll bloody well do it and be ready to sack the 'cote if we don't stay up in the football league....what a disgrace coming straight back down would be eh?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »

I think in some ways it's a look on the bright side of life attitude. My greatest wish is that the club continues to progress and raises it's profile and strengthens its links with the community. in this way we'll gradually get better more consistent crowds and be in a position to compete in the conference (in time). Now, for me and a few others to be fair, I know that in reality this is in the conference national. Our profile is raised imeasurably, even if it's just from our scorers coming up on Gillette Soccer Saturday, playing York City or Exeter City is like being in the league as far as the floating voter is concerned. Our crowds are the highest they've been for 20 years, realistically they will drop by about 40% next year, I know some casual fans who won't be at as many games next year. On paper, it's dropping down one level, in reality you're dropping off the football map.

Also, and most dissapointingly the chance to progress as a team by attracting good quality players has been lost. Danny Adams had a choice a while back of Alty, Southport and Morecambe. Now his choice would be Morecambe only. Likewise, if it goes tits up at Northwich, where are some of their better players like Kieran Charnock going to go - not to us in the Blue Square North.

However, people are also right to try and put a positive slant on it. We can still progress, if we get a really good start and show good home form then maybe the younger eleement who seem to be more prominent at games nowadays will be enthused, a winning team will draw in the crowds. Of course, we all know how hard the BSN is, in my view we could easily finish 9th. On the other hand maybe it's a chance to rebuild the team slightly and even I must admit that the thought of turning up to some home games expecting to win will be a nice change. The team will need new impetus in the way the Potts, Hussin, Owen and little signings did. I don't think we're that far away from being a conference club.

So you're right Cult, not being in the Conf is a huge blow and will hinder progress. As someone put on confguide north, losing to Exter is better than losing to Alfreton in about a million different ways that would take up to much time to fully explain. However, you can't say that people who try to accept it a bit are being brainwashed. What are we supposed to do? Wail and scream about it all woe is me? I've done that in my head, don't think people aren't hurting but we've just got to look forward. We didn't do that much wrong this year, yes Bowler and thomson were mistakes, we lacked width a lot of the time as well as solid full backs, injury wise we missed Colin Little for quite a bit altho on the whole we were relatively unsctahed and we gave away a sloppy goal away at stafford but it's margins. We just have to pick ourselves up and make the best of it, try and enjoy it as much as we can.  :P

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »

I am gutted we are relegated, in fact devastated, especially as my parents in law live in stafford - imagine the ridicule I have had these last 4 days.

But there is no point in crying over spilt milk - if just cry and sulk that will not get us anywhere. At the end of the day is relegation actually going to affect YOUR life at all? In reality it isnt.  It just means we still watch Alty against poorer opposition.

What I am looking forward to though is a challenge for promotion. Imagine how we will all feel come April next year if we win promotion. It will be great, we will have had a great season.

If we dont get promoted and struggle in then perhaps I will feel more disapointed than I am right now.

If you think back to being a child and you go to Altrincham and see the hard core fans singing and cheering on the team you say to yourself - "I want to be like them". So lets not forget that us hard core fans can make a difference for the future.

Onwards and Upwards.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:50 AM »

I'm with the Cult on this, while taking in Ballers valid points.

Conference National is where it is at for me. 

You can shove your "all wonderful friends in the non league world, lets welcome both carloads of away fans  into the bar" anyday for away days at Exeter, Cambridge, York or Oxford, 400 Morecambe fans on the 20/20 end, scorers on teletext and sky sports and people knowing which leasgue you are in.

I'll be there every week with the rest of them but don't ask me to like it until we are 10 points clear and easy clapping before the teams have even come out.

The club has made huge strides in the last couple of years but will start sliding backwards if we stop pushing forwards.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 08:44:40 AM »

It hurt like hell at 5 o clock on Saturday and give me Conference National over Conference North any day. 

But we can either feel sorry for ourselves and be all despondent about things, or we can look on the bright side, stay positive and regroup next season.  Its not a case of enjoying the relegation, but rather not crying over spilt milk as somebody else quite rightly said. 

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:45:39 AM »

I'm with you and the cult as well to be fair Ecky, for all the reasons you listed and about a hundred more. Actually, one important point that we should really bear in mind is this. I am fairly sure that during our Unibond years it was our steadfast belief that we were a conference club and refusal to wilfully acknowledge Worksop and vauxhall motors perfectly fair right to be on the same pitch as us that dragged us up. I do not care what Alfreton or Hucknall say, I'll listen to Kettering and I'll enjoy playing Southport as it seems like a 'proper tinpot' game but I'll never accept we don't belong in the top echelons. The day we say 'well ok we're a BSN club' is the day we are one. But I don't think anyone really is, just that we can't do anything but try our best. If I thought that wailing and screaming about it would bring about a 3 day late winner against Aldershot i would. It won't. I agree, the BSN is toss.

We'll just have to steamroller it like we did last summer!  ;D

Altysmiffy

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »

Of course it's a positive step; there will be far less travelling next season. We can all be home for Ant & Dec/X Factor/somesh*tethatstartsat7ish.

Dr Who!

Meanwhile, I think people are simply looking at the positives of the situation. Even Mr Goodwin says he has not enjoyed the struggle of the last 2 years, he would much rather - it seems - build the club back up at a more sensible and manageable rate.

After all the good Mr G has done for the club I, for one, will not be argueing with him. He is staying with the club, and that is the best news I've heard in a long while.

Cadiz Alty

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 01:10:23 PM »

All good sentiments.
We will all be there next year at Vauxall on a wet tuesday night sampling the pie and peas, asking ourselves what the hell are we doing here?
I for one do not agree it is a positive step, positives steps are forward.

Why do we think we will get back straightaway?  it will be a slog to keep in the top half.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »

I think it'll be a couple of years before we get back up unfortunately but I truly hope I'm wrong.

As for Vauxhall, that's one of the few plus points for me - its just over 5 miles from home and makes a nice change from that trudge up the M56!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »

We will all be there next year at Vauxall on a wet tuesday night sampling the pie and peas, asking ourselves what the hell are we doing here?

I'm afraid the chances of me being able to come to Vauxhall from Kent on a cold Tuesday night are remote at best. Most Saturday games are going to be a struggle but fingers crossed I'll be there as much as I can.

markecky

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »

"Why do we think we will get back straightaway?  it will be a slog to keep in the top half"

Can I ask what you've based that on?

We 'd don't know our squad or the squad of any other side?

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team