PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More on Utd Reserves
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: More on Utd Reserves  (Read 10561 times)

Hamilton

Re: More on Utd Reserves
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »

Thankfully with traffird council being one of the worst local authorities in the country, we don't have to worry about them building a fantastic new stadium for Alty and sale sharks to share within the borough...

More than happy to help Lancashire CCC though........a private company

A private company yes but also a huge source of revenue and publicity for the borough

Matches at Old Trafford live on a long time Gillette Cup SF in the dark, Jim Laker taking 19 wickets, Shane Warnes ball to Gatting, the 10,000 locked out on the last day of the 2005 Ashes Test, Shane Warne (again) taking his 600th wicket at OT

Any one of those will have done more for Trafford than virtually anything Sale and ourselves have done put together.

I don't like it and I think we have had the pooey end of the stick BUT from the Council's perspective I can understand it

I was there for that match, and can still remember the shouting when the last wicket fell (your memory improves as you get a lot older!  ;) )
Nothing to do with this thread, but who knows who took the other wicket, without looking it up!

Back to the thread, and I can't see any advantages in moving from ML at present.

Was it Tony  Lock?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »

A good guess Hamilton, I'd imagine there was something in the pitch for the spinners!

I don't know why I have this in my head, but I'm sure I heard somewhere once that the other wicket was taken by Brian Statham?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62814.html

Tony Lock it was, look at some of those household cricket names then, compared to now. We have to some extent lost cricket as a mainstream/alternative to football sport. In my younger days it was football then cricket in summer. we played street cricket with a gatepost as a wicket and midwicket or coverpoint on car coming watch. Kids today have no idea or understanding generally, a real shame.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hamilton

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »

Tony Lock it was, look at some of those household cricket names then, compared to now. We have to some extent lost cricket as a mainstream/alternative to football sport. In my younger days it was football then cricket in summer. we played street cricket with a gatepost as a wicket and midwicket or coverpoint on car coming watch. Kids today have no idea or understanding generally, a real shame.

You used to get pro football/cricketers like Phil Neal and Chris Balderstone -  the seasons overlap too much now and cricket has lost too much of its fascination with the young.

Butty

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »

Because nowadays, kids playing in the street is seen by many as a nuiscance

Robin Reliant

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

Tony Lock it was, with all wickets taken by spinners. Spin seems to be coming back now after a long abscence, but at the time everyone wanted to be Jim Laker.
Echoing some of the above comments, many of the players used to be both cricketers in summer and footballers in winter,but that seemed to end with the scrapping of the maximum wage in football.
The last player to play cricket and football for England was a goalkeeper from Utd., whose name escapes me, but yes he was the wicketkeeper in the summer!

roytonmike

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »

The last player to play cricket and football for England was a goalkeeper from Utd., whose name escapes me, but yes he was the wicketkeeper in the summer!
Don't think so - Arthur Milton played cricket for Gloucestershire (opening bat from just after the war till the mid-70s) and England in the late 50s and football for Arsenal (right wing) and England (both in the early 50s) and I can't think of any double internationals since him. There won't be any more!

Robin Reliant

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »

Don't think so - Arthur Milton played cricket for Gloucestershire (opening bat from just after the war till the mid-70s) and England in the late 50s and football for Arsenal (right wing) and England (both in the early 50s) and I can't think of any double internationals since him. There won't be any more!

Will have to consult the reference books and get back to you on that one!
There certainly won't be any more thats true, but theres now scope for Internationals in both rugby codes now the leaguers play in the sun!!

York Alty

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »

The ultimate sporting great to my mind is from another era totally;  CB Fry.  Some no doubt will know the name, but to many he is a virtual unkown.

He played internationals (for England) at footy and cricket and was a very competent rugby player (Barbarians).  He set a world record for the long jump and could, into hs seventies, jump from a standing start backwards onto a mantelpiece. 

He also foud time to stand as a candidate for parliament, losing two or three elections.

Off the sporting pitch he set up magazines, helped establish the League of Nations, and alledgedly was asked to become king of Albania.  A newspaper columnist, a radio cricket commentator in his later years he was also involved in eduation.  He met Hitler, and rather worringly, invited members of the Hitler Youth to one of his training establishments.

What a life.

Hamilton

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »

The ultimate sporting great to my mind is from another era totally;  CB Fry.  Some no doubt will know the name, but to many he is a virtual unkown.

He played internationals (for England) at footy and cricket and was a very competent rugby player (Barbarians).  He set a world record for the long jump and could, into hs seventies, jump from a standing start backwards onto a mantelpiece. 

He also foud time to stand as a candidate for parliament, losing two or three elections.

Off the sporting pitch he set up magazines, helped establish the League of Nations, and alledgedly was asked to become king of Albania.  A newspaper columnist, a radio cricket commentator in his later years he was also involved in eduation.  He met Hitler, and rather worringly, invited members of the Hitler Youth to one of his training establishments.

What a life.

and related to Stephen!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More on Utd Reserves