PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thats a Turnup!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thats a Turnup!  (Read 5775 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Thats a Turnup!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »

Couldn't care less now the FA has finally well and truelly sold out giving 700,000 setanta viewers the chance to watch at the expense of 10,000,000 regular terrestial viewers.

If football supporters had any respect they'd boycott everything to do with the FA and England and leave them with an empty stadium that they have to sell to rugby or kylie to fill.

Point of order. For once in our lifetime it's unreasonable to blame the FA.

The FA only have control of home qualifiers and home and away friendlies (50/50 for away friendlies) as far as tv rights are concerned. The rights of the Croatia game were for the Croatian FA to do as they pleased with, which in this case was sell them to the highest bidder (Setanta). Bear in mind that for many 'smaller' nations the tv rights to an ENgland game and the competitive UK broadcast market are money spinners.

The FA were powerless to stop Setanta gaining the exclusive rights. Once they had them it was down to the tv companies to agree a deal. I suppose you could have said the FA should have told Setanta that if they didn't give away highlights they wouldn't consider selling them any home games in the future. However,

a)the FA will probably keep home games/highlights free to air anyway,

b) I'm not sure putting pressure on Setanta like that is entirely legal.

c) Setanta paid £5 million for the exclusive rights to that match last night. Any highlights package would have had to reflect that surely. In my guesstimate, at least £1m + from a tv company, not necessarily good value.

Don't think the FA can be blamed for this one.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 10:27:40 PM »

Couldn't care less now the FA has finally well and truelly sold out giving 700,000 setanta viewers the chance to watch at the expense of 10,000,000 regular terrestial viewers.

If football supporters had any respect they'd boycott everything to do with the FA and England and leave them with an empty stadium that they have to sell to rugby or kylie to fill.

The FA only have control of home qualifiers and home and away friendlies (50/50 for away friendlies) as far as tv rights are concerned. The rights of the Croatia game were for the Croatian FA to do as they pleased with, which in this case was sell them to the highest bidder (Setanta). Bear in mind that for many 'smaller' nations the tv rights to an ENgland game and the competitive UK broadcast market are money spinners.

The FA were powerless to stop Setanta gaining the exclusive rights. Once they had them it was down to the tv companies to agree a deal. I suppose you could have said the FA should have told Setanta that if they didn't give away highlights they wouldn't consider selling them any home games in the future. However,

c) Setanta paid £5 million for the exclusive rights to that match last night. Any highlights package would have had to reflect that surely. In my guesstimate, at least £1m + from a tv company, not necessarily good value.

ITV are showing extended highlights in 5 minutes, at a change to their planned order of programmes. Seems quite short notice, wonder if Setanta will be heckling for a refund...

Dougals Dad

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »

ITV are showing extended highlights in 5 minutes, at a change to their planned order of programmes. Seems quite short notice, wonder if Setanta will be heckling for a refund...

but not in Scotland!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thats a Turnup!