PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 time for change
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: time for change  (Read 7662 times)

Alty365

Re: time for change
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »

I was there today and Alty were by far the better side. We lacked ruthlessness in front of goal and could not find the killer touch. However, we played some great football at times and there were lots of positives to take from the game.

Having said that, I think I speak for all who were present when I say that to lose against a team as poor as Eastbourne was devastating. We will play worse and win but that was three points dropped without any doubt.

For the record, I think GH's team selection and tactics were spot on. Short of getting in the box and putting the chances away himself I don't see what else he could have done today and he is not to blame for this defeat. Denham and Danylyk were outstanding at times and Chris Senior tried his socks off and had two good chances saved.

Heads up for Tuesday and if we play like we did for long periods today we have a chance of getting something. All is not lost.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »

Well said Redhill and Alty 365, honest comments from people who were there. I couldn't go despite being Southern based thanks to work rotas, therefore I have made no comment. Those who are making derogatory remarks and criticising tactics, selection etc may well like to think a little bit about this rather than dive in headfirst.

Dino, do you have opinions on films you haven't seen as well?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Alty365

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »

Completely forgot to mention Warren Peyton's free kick which crashed against the bar in the second half. An outstanding effort and for those who seek to slag him off, he certainly didn't do a lot wrong today.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »

Completely forgot to mention Warren Peyton's free kick which crashed against the bar in the second half. An outstanding effort and for those who seek to slag him off, he certainly didn't do a lot wrong today.

Was Peyton at left back or on the left side of the midfield?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty365

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »

Was Peyton at left back or on the left side of the midfield?

Peyton played at left back today.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »

Another question we should ask is not only who we should bring in to replace Heathcote, but who would want to come to us?

Who would be up for a challenge which is in short (give or take a couple of teams)is  running a part time squad against full time teams week in week out.

Taking into consideration less training; fitness etc etc.

Any takers..............

Maybe not.
ParkINson's red and white army

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »

Another question we should ask is not only who we should bring in to replace Heathcote, but who would want to come to us?

Who would be up for a challenge which is in short (give or take a couple of teams)is  running a part time squad against full time teams week in week out.

Taking into consideration less training; fitness etc etc.

Any takers..............

Maybe not.

Anyone stupid enough to say yes is too stupid to be better than GH.

Nonleaguer

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »

Just arrived back after a 520 mile round trip. Today the best team definitely lost.

In fact when the home keeper is voted man of the match by the match sponsors it says something about the game.

The game was played in sweltering conditions and Coburn was rarely troubled. Their goal game as Coburn seemed in two minds whether or not to come for a ball which was being contested well outside the area, having advanced he then back tracked to no avail as the Eastbourne player chipped the ball easily into the Alty net.

At times we advanced and rather than perhaps unleash a shot we seem to want to waltz the ball into the net. Peyton's late free kick crashed against the bar and no one was able to direct the rebound.

To date I have seen all the games and not one side has looked streets ahead of us, we need to keep faith with the players and give them the support they need and ensure that we bag some important points in our home fixtures.

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »

that is a disastrous result, and demonstates heathcotes inability at this level.   better players and no improvement in results spells serious trouble. having watched 4 of the first 6 we are still nowhere near being organised for this league. burying your heads will get us nowhere but the bottom four. managers who underperform in business are relieved of their duties. enough is enough

Absolute "Class A" moron. If you have ever been in a room / on a pitch / in the general vicinity of GH... you will know he is extremely educated as to who has what players, where they play, how they play, where they have played, when they last walked their dog etc etc etc. Inability?  I'd say the complete opposite. Given the ground he has to make up on the full timers from the off, the time they have on set plays / tactics....and the small matter of budget...arguably the most educated and astute man in the league.

Sometimes sh&t happens and you dont get anything despite deserving to. (Man Utd v Arsenal, F.A. Cup final a few years back for example) Sometimes you send your team out, and they do nothing of what you have asked, and sometimes there are no excuses for an all around cr@p effort.

I dont profess to have been there today...but from the reports i have read..it sounds like we lacked a finishing touch. (Which incidently was there against Barrow / Woking!) I'd say fair b*llocks for the effort lads...and unlucky. And unlucky also on the trip back...then no training, and back down to Histon on Tuesday after working your normal jobs...but i'm sure you'll give it a bloody good go...and thats why why follow you.

Heathcote in...

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 12:32:57 AM »

I was there too today and I mostly agree with the other posts.
I'm not sure the starting line up was quite right. I thought Denham struggled a bit as a central stricker and was a lot more effective went he went wider. When he was moved out to the right he was absolutely devastating. He got past their two left players almost every time he got the ball and put in some excellent balls. One in particular was a gift to and I'm sure Col is still wondering how he didn't put it away. I though the other changes which were made also improved things. So I might slightly critcise the initial setup but the tactical changes were spot on.
I can't believe we lost the game but I'd rather watch that than see us hang on in a desperate 0-0 draw which it could easily have been if we'd setup to defend instead of attack.

NB. It was only a 130 mile round trip for me but the roads were busy!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »

I'd have to disagree with some on here and agree with a lot of what Pompey Robin says - team selection was faulty yesterday. I think that if we started with something like the team that finished the game, we'd have had a much better chance of winning. Our first half performance was pretty ordinary and it was only once Little and Elam came on that we really picked up. Some specific points about the line-up.

- Chris Denham is an outstanding right-winger and that's where he should always play, not up front. I think Dale should have started alongside Chris Senior.
- The left-side. I don't like this Peyton and Doughty thing. It seems like it's rewarding Doughty for his lack of defensive discipline at full-back by allowing him to play further upfield. Why can't he just be told to do the job we require of him at full-back? It's not like we were more solid down that side in the first half - every attack from Eastbourne came from there, including the goal. In a game like yesterday's, I think Elam should start with Doughty at left-back.
- Central midfield. Danylyk is looking a terrific acquistion but I do think his excellence raises a question as to what Lawton's role in the team is. I feel we need someone more creative and would like to see Danylyk and Street in there. But with Robbie being captain, maybe that won't happen?

Yesterday's result was ridiculous and every bit as gut-wrenching in its own way as defeat at Kidderminster. But at least we played some football and I think we'll have the chance to win far more games this season than last. But if we don't start taking chances and keep on making these stupid bloody defensive mistakes (Stuart did exactly the same thing for Kiddie's fourth goal), then it won't matter in the slightest.

Hamilton

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »

that is a disastrous result, and demonstates heathcotes inability at this level.   better players and no improvement in results spells serious trouble. having watched 4 of the first 6 we are still nowhere near being organised for this league. burying your heads will get us nowhere but the bottom four. managers who underperform in business are relieved of their duties. enough is enough

Twit

dino

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 11:28:27 AM »

we could not have chosen 6 better matches to start the campaign and most people on the forum would have given us a fighting chance of a possible 3 points in any 5 of then.

it is rather poor to have accumulated just 5 points from those games and conceding 12 goals in the process.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 01:17:18 PM »

There are no easy games at this level and both Torquay and oxford are near us and struggling.

James Black

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 12:58:33 PM »

Erm what about BHM 5 days ago ? Christmas in my eyes will be a good indicator of how we are doing...

Dino 100% agree heathcote out we have mid table players already in the relegation battle area of the league. Blackpool alty i'm sorry but we wait till christmas we gonna be in the brown stuff.

what we got           prediction   

Woking           3pts                         0pts
                 Barrow           0pts                         3pts
                Kettering        1pt                           3pts
               Kidderminster  0pts                         1pt
              Wrexham         1pt                           0pts
              Eastbourne      0pts                         3pts

total                   5pts (19th)              10pts(8th with a GD of +6 or as low as 11 with a Gd lower than+2)           
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 time for change