News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Time for a 6th national League?

Author Topic: Time for a 6th national League?  (Read 1876 times)

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »

I've been thinking recently about the way the conference has changed from how it was in the 80s when us and Weymouth were the top dogs, to how it is now, being dominated by full time teams.

I reckon it's time for the conference to become "Leauge 3" and for there to be another, majority semi-pro national league below it like the old APL. I think the best semi-pro teams should be given the opportunity to play in a good quality national league. Witht he way the league has developed I think there needs to be another league and it also keeps the true non league spirit alive.

Thoughts?
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a 6th national League?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »

Nope,it doesnt make financial sense,league 2 and the conference should condense and become league 2 north and league 2 south.then the conference north and conference south both have 2 promotion places,and 2 down from both league 2s as per now,

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:31:45 PM »

I see what you're saying, but essentially it'd involve merging the top half of the Conference North and South. Are all those teams really capable of playing at a national level? Especially given they won't be on that much money for playing in the sixth tier...

There should be three up from the Conference to L2 though. It's a joke that a team can finish 2nd in the Conference and stay down, whilst a team can finish 7th in L2 but go up.

bumble

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

It'd be slightly cheaper to have the bottom league become regional yes, but when these clubs go bust it's rare that the thing that pushed them over the edge was the travel expenses. Player's wages and massively oversized stadia are where all the money is really lost.

Second the comments about 3 up, 3 down; the gap between the top of the conference and the bottom of league 2 is miniscule, Luton didn't come down on the pitch and they wouldn't have walked it even when u take out Crawley's money.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »

http://www.mikeavery.co.uk/FootballLeagueRestructure.htm
I like this idea. It would save a lot of travelling expenses and get more supporters at the games. Though it would not be helpful for our Southern supporters to see Alty play. 
They really should be beating teams like us
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team