PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 in recognition of off season boredom
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: in recognition of off season boredom  (Read 3662 times)

thegazelle

« on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »

What was our best ever opening day

and worst ever.

i cant remember any bt getting beat 4-1 by exeter has to get a vote or two for crapestness

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: in recognition of off season boredom
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »

The worst opening has to Frank Sidebottom at the start of match of the day >:( >:( >:(

Thanks for the peake
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:55:04 PM by Darren »
@AltyDaz

baldrick

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »

crapestness? That has to be the best invented word since Jasper Carrot gave us the word zit

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »

Since we got back I think the 3-0 defeat at Stevenage in the first year was particularly bad. Totally outclassed from start to finish that day and it was a depressing portent of what was to come.

Good opening days, well we're not renowned for them really, the 2-1 against Stevenage 2 years back is the only on I can recall, even in our recent promotion seasons we didn't win on the opening day. Their was the 1-1 against Frickley in 98-99 (Keith Russell?) and then I think it was a goaless draw at Alfreton in the Conference North season.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

The best could be a 2-1 win over Barnet in 89-90 with John McMahon and Wayne Entwistle scoring, there was a feeling we'd have a good year (we were a year early).

That and Stevenage 2-1. Kiddy away in Quinns first game was good and Rushdens inaugral conference fixture was a 4-3 classic.

Bad ones include Dave Serella's knee ending injury and for me 1991-92, a 1-1 draw at Home to Kettering. Just for the fact it took place at all.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »

Yes Rushden at home in their first season, flashy kit, flashy players, but a crap goalie who booted the ball at Terry's backside for one and another was a Sharratt header !!

last season Exeter worst.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »

Yes Rushden at home in their first season, flashy kit, flashy players, but a crap goalie who booted the ball at Terry's backside for one and another was a Sharratt header !!

Infact it could possibly have been that cokehead Turley  ;D

altyf

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 11:23:17 PM »

For me, the worst ever was when we got beaten 0-4 by Harrogate at home a few years back, can't remember exactly when but think it was our last season in the Unibond. Dreadful.

Narcissist

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »

Great opening day!! Only marred by the irony of the last day of that season.

The worst opening day has to be arriving 20 minutes after kick-off to Yeovil and we were already losing. Got beat 3-0 I think. One of the only times I felt like going to watch alty had been a waste of a day.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »

The worst ever opening day has to be the aforementioned 0-4 at home to Harrogate, particularly as it was followed by subsequent 0-4 and 1-4 against Vauxhall Motors and Hucknall.  And didn't we lose 0-4 at home to Burton one year.

My favourite start to the season was the "Barry Howard debut" 4-1 drubbing of Worksop, followed by a 4-0 at Lancaster and a 2-1 win at Scarborough.

altyf

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

I enjoyed 2-1 v Stevenage simply because of how well we played. The 4-1 win against Gainsborough at the start of the CN campaign was a good one...I think it uncovered Little and Potts as absolute gems and gave us a sign of what was to come!

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »

In the 3rd season of the APl we got beat at home 3-0....I think it was by Nuneaton.

We turned up a la prawn sandwich brigade waiting expectantly to applaud the inevitable comfortable victory wishing there was someone out there who could give us a worthy challenge to our supreriority and were completely shell shocked.

I enjoyed the 4-3 V Rushden in their first ever conference match....cocky gits they were that day.....hail Neill Hardy!

thegazelle

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »

Memories flooding back now 0-4 to harrogate it has to be.

The 4-0 at lancaster in the second game in 78 (i think ) a bizarre night out which should be well remembered by uk vegan and a couple of others. driven through the yorkshire Dales in a minibus by a qualified rally driver who was showing off absolutely terrifying. we had a race with a poser in a BMW and won.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »

Without doubt the Harrogate one is the worst for me.Watching the 30 or so of their fans celebrating it was so demorilising,especially taking into account it got worse!!!

The best. The 4-1 win against Gainsborough in 2004. Also the first game back in the Unibond in 2000,Gateshead.A very good game,a 3-2 win with a last minute penalty.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 02:20:51 AM »

Sort of relevent but as a London based fan I went to see Barnet's first ever league game after promotion in I reckon 92. They won 7-4 or something like that, strange old game but I recall the shock and horror of seeing our then star or one of Paul Showler appearing for them. Gut wrenching it was and the first time I realised that our financial clout was gone.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team