PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 From the Salisbury Forum...
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: From the Salisbury Forum...  (Read 5796 times)

Mikem

Re: From the Salisbury Forum...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:12:47 AM »

if I could add something here......

I used to watch Alty 'til I was twelve (the King/Johnson/Rogers era, so good times), then moved away, but have kept in touch via the excellent Alty website. I now watch AFC Bournemouth (and am involved in the club), so am busy Saturdays, but took the opportunity to see Alty last night - unfortunately, missed the away end gate, so ended up standing in the home bit, on the side.

Re. the first sending off - Chris Senior was clean through, the City guy took an obvious tug at his shirt - the referee quite clearly waved advantage, then the player made a good tackle on the edge of the area. The ref then called it back, & once he had given a free kick, had no option but to send him off. It was for the first tug on the shirt, not the tackle by the area.

re. the second one - the first was an obvious booking, late on Danylyk - to be honest,  in League 2 (where refs are no better than the Conference) I've seen players sent off for less. It's then really dumb to get a second yellow for something like not being 10 yards - our manager at AFCB would be tearing strips off the player for getting sent off like that.

Thought Alty played good football - Elam, Little & Senior a frontline superior to most in League 2 from what I've seen. Colin in particular - absolute class.

The Salisbury keeper was excellent too - without him could have been 6 or 7.

Big hand to both sets of supporters too - to come down from Alty on a rainy Tuesday night,a truly great great effort; if we at AFCB ever went down to 9 men, cue mass exodus, but the City lot stayed til the bitter end. Have to say too - you don't know how lucky you are to be able to stand at football - all-seater stadia are the devil's work.

Best of luck for the rest of the season

Mike

PS In answer to the thread about spine-tingling moments - Southport FA Cup 1978(?) - 2-0 down, 3-2 up, 3-3 in last minute (the only time I've ever cried at a football match), then injury time winner - never forgotten it!!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »

That Southport game, a scriptwriter couldn't have come up with that. What days they were.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »

george dewsnip?  had come back from playing in the states and scored a cracker for them? or am i  having a senior moment?

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »

Firstly well done to all your fans or making the journey down,i hope we looked after you !! Now can anyone tell me why we had 2 sent off ??? The ref asked the linesman about the first one and the linesman replied " I didn't see anything" so how does the ref show a red for something he asked the linesman about then to be told that ??? The second just makes the whole game into a circus,your guy kicks the ball into the back of Sandel while he was walking away from the ball (which the ref also didn't see),even your keeper seemed to be on our side telling the ref what had happened, then gives a second yellow ?? Maybe the next game will actually be a fair one cos that was one complete joke !!
I'm sure you who are real football fans will agree that it was a farce !! I also lost count the amount of corners you should of had when he gave us a goal kick !!!

The first sending off was for the player pulling Chris Senior back after he'd got away. The ref played on for a bit but once the player got back and made the tackle he went back to teh previous incident. The defender was clearly last man when he pulled Chris back and denied a scoring opportunity. Ref didn't have any choice.
The second red was a second yellow for blocking a quick free kick. Your guy didn't agree with the decision although it looked like a clear if innocuous push from where I was. He had a right (unrespectful) go at the ref and the stopped the kick being taken. He may have been walking away but he'd had plenty of chance to get out of the way. Obvious yellow I'd say and he'd already been booked.Again I can't see the ref had a choice.
The ref did exactly the same thing when Robbie Lawton when he blocked a kick after he'd blocked your full back down in the corner in front of us. Only difference was it was his first yellow.
Two dim acts.You guy was dimmer because he'd already been booked.

I'd rather we'd beaten you fair and square with 11 on the pitch but I'd also rather your guy had let Chris run on, one-on-one with the keeper.

I have to say that your 10, and even more so when you went down to 9, worked really hard and didn't lookout outnumbered.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »

My first match of the season last night - and I have to say I really enjoyed myself. And it's not often I've been able to say that at an away match over the recent past (Dagenham  maybe).  We played really well, moved the ball about quickly, were really positive in our approach, defended like titans...but being Alty still kept the fans chewing our nails until Dale Johnson put us two up. Sendings off were both correct decisions (although the first one was a little harsh).  The second one was in the words of the fan I watched the match with (Pompey Alty I would guess from his earlier comment - good to meet you!) a sending off for "being a T**t".  And indeed Robbie was booked for exactly the same offence.

It would have been nice to have kept a clean sheet, but on balance I prefer both forward subs opening their account for the season.

And as for George Dewsnip - it was indeed his first match for Southport after arriving back from US (and Maurice Whittle??) - scored, got knackered early on, subbed and back came the mighty red and whites.  People don't believe this but Southport's equaliser for 3-3 came as early as the 88th minute and we scored in the 92nd.  Not like last noght where Salisbury scored after 94 and Joe after 96!

By the way Colin's Goal was scored in less than 20 seconds of the start of the second half - after I'd celebrated and fished the stopwatch out of my pocket it was jst showing 20 seconds...

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »

if I could add something here......

I used to watch Alty 'til I was twelve (the King/Johnson/Rogers era, so good times), then moved away, but have kept in touch via the excellent Alty website. I now watch AFC Bournemouth (and am involved in the club), so am busy Saturdays, but took the opportunity to see Alty last night - unfortunately, missed the away end gate, so ended up standing in the home bit, on the side.

Re. the first sending off - Chris Senior was clean through, the City guy took an obvious tug at his shirt - the referee quite clearly waved advantage, then the player made a good tackle on the edge of the area. The ref then called it back, & once he had given a free kick, had no option but to send him off. It was for the first tug on the shirt, not the tackle by the area.

re. the second one - the first was an obvious booking, late on Danylyk - to be honest,  in League 2 (where refs are no better than the Conference) I've seen players sent off for less. It's then really dumb to get a second yellow for something like not being 10 yards - our manager at AFCB would be tearing strips off the player for getting sent off like that.

Thought Alty played good football - Elam, Little & Senior a frontline superior to most in League 2 from what I've seen. Colin in particular - absolute class.

The Salisbury keeper was excellent too - without him could have been 6 or 7.

Big hand to both sets of supporters too - to come down from Alty on a rainy Tuesday night,a truly great great effort; if we at AFCB ever went down to 9 men, cue mass exodus, but the City lot stayed til the bitter end. Have to say too - you don't know how lucky you are to be able to stand at football - all-seater stadia are the devil's work.

Best of luck for the rest of the season

Mike

PS In answer to the thread about spine-tingling moments - Southport FA Cup 1978(?) - 2-0 down, 3-2 up, 3-3 in last minute (the only time I've ever cried at a football match), then injury time winner - never forgotten it!!

Good post.

Agree completely about Col. Looked a class above. Great touches whether coming short or trying to get behind them. Great effort, well saved in the first half and great movement to get space to put in the first goal.
Chris Senior was always busy.Did well for the goal (although the cross was deflected a bit to go to Col) and troubled them every time he ran at them.
Elam did ok but couldn't seem to stay on his feet and it looked like they were doubling up on him to start with. Was better after they went down to 10 and he got more room to play in. I thought Meechan looked effective when he cam on but that was against 9 tired men and he came inside every time. That's ok when there is space (so maybe it was tactical) but won't work so much against 11.   
Midfield were busy but never really got control even when they were down to 9. Better going forward towards the end when there was more space but how did they work the space to score their goal? There is no way 9 mean should be able to score a goal like that against 11! Did we win a single header in the midfield area? I know we lack height but we put as many balls into the air in midfield as they did.
Back four did well. They pressed but it was about 30 mins before Stu had to make a real save. Some good 'body on the line' blocks. Greg Young looked dominant, McGregor read the game well. Densmore and Doughty got forward well.
A great result and a decent performance but at 1-0 and down to 9 they were still in it somehow. I don't think there was any complacency, we just seemed to find it hard to find the killer goal.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

The second one was in the words of the fan I watched the match with (Pompey Alty I would guess from his earlier comment - good to meet you!) a sending off for "being a T**t".  And indeed Robbie was booked for exactly the same offence.
Morning MG! It was indeed me!
I think there should be an alternate punishment for offenses like that. No suspension but you have to stand in front of the opposition fans for the rest of the game in a dunces hat with your hands behind your back.

Longman

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »

My first match of the season last night - and I have to say I really enjoyed myself. And it's not often I've been able to say that at an away match over the recent past (Dagenham  maybe).  We played really well, moved the ball about quickly, were really positive in our approach, defended like titans...but being Alty still kept the fans chewing our nails until Dale Johnson put us two up. Sendings off were both correct decisions (although the first one was a little harsh).  The second one was in the words of the fan I watched the match with (Pompey Alty I would guess from his earlier comment - good to meet you!) a sending off for "being a T**t".  And indeed Robbie was booked for exactly the same offence.

It would have been nice to have kept a clean sheet, but on balance I prefer both forward subs opening their account for the season.

And as for George Dewsnip - it was indeed his first match for Southport after arriving back from US (and Maurice Whittle??) - scored, got knackered early on, subbed and back came the mighty red and whites.  People don't believe this but Southport's equaliser for 3-3 came as early as the 88th minute and we scored in the 92nd.  Not like last noght where Salisbury scored after 94 and Joe after 96!

By the way Colin's Goal was scored in less than 20 seconds of the start of the second half - after I'd celebrated and fished the stopwatch out of my pocket it was jst showing 20 seconds...

Are you Alex Ferguson?

chrisrufc

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

Good post Mikem but still hope you get hammered on Saturday  ;D

Agree with Little, Senior and Elam being FL standard

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »

Ah! That would make sense.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Mikem

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 06:28:58 PM »

Chris

You lot are on really good form, so are we (3 wins out of 4 after last night's win at franchise FC in the Mickey Mouse Cup), despite the two teams having a combined points tally of -7! Should be a good game.

Here's to us both surviving - what chance points deductions for Premiersh!te teams like West Ham? Fat chance!!

Mike

Dougals Dad

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »

Personally, I think they should be beating teams like us!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 From the Salisbury Forum...