PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The old old days
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The old old days  (Read 4059 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The old old days
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

That was one nervy walk, head down away from the mob, trying to look local.  Telford away in the cup, Runcorn in the Trophy semi away, Hartlepool at home I recall some bother too.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The old old days
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 02:34:10 PM »

it brings up all sorts of memories this
walking away from white hart lane with a lad from school and seeing people get whacked all around us, he's trying to put on a london accent but its coming out australian. we turned off the main road trying to look like we we lived round there more times than you can count, and at one point even went through someones gardenas if we were home because we were being followed. finally got to the station, just need to get accross the road and we're safe but get spotted by a mates dad who frantically waves at us shouting 'great result jimmy' at the top of his voice. i nearly hit him.
best bit of the night for me was arriving. everyone went on the train (was there petrol shortages?) and i went in with my brother. as we went up the stairs onto this floodlit patch of terracing to see a big crowd, and we were the first in. i cant really describe it but we walked out onto this pristine concrete and it was like the whole crowd stopped talking and stared at us for about 5 seconds then suddenly there was a flood of alty behind us.
anyone remember the chelsea fans in our end who took care of the tottenham who were trying to start.
when jeff scored that was my first experience of blackout. it went in and several seconds later i had travelled from the back to the front over crash barriers etc and no recollection of doing it.
also you couldnt look local, this really was before the blandification of britain and people from alty/manchester didnt dress like people from london/yorkshire/liverpool etc

runcorn in retrospect i'm almost amazed we went. we knew they would be after us after what happened at our place. that was mayhem all afternoon. we saved ourselves by engaging the lads who were about to jump us, in conversation about all the places they had been following liverpool and fights they had been in. (newcastle was worst apparently). in the end the lad i was with said to them are you going to beat us up? and they looked a bit sheepish and said if we see you outside we will.
it was always worth trying to do the opposite of what was expected and seeing if you could confuse the neanderthals
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The old old days