PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hope your proud
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hope your proud  (Read 8194 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Hope your proud
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:27:45 AM »

Expectations could force Heathcote exit
By Connor Murphy
Comment
GRAHAM Heathcote has warned that unrealistic expectations could drive him away from the club.

The Robins boss came under fire from certain sections of the Moss Lane crowd during his side's 4-1 opening day defeat to Exeter.

Alty had led 1-0 at half time but visibly lagged after the break, sparking a remarkable collapse against their promotion-chasing opponents.

And Heathcote was angry at some of the criticism both he and his players received, claiming supporters needed to keep their ambitions in check.

He said: "People's expectations at this club now are getting ridiculous, it's as simple as that.

"People are talking about doing this and doing that. I just get frustrated with the ignorance of people who think we can make an impact in this league.

"It's a real difficult situation and today highlighted that.

"Now if people feel that because we have increased our wage budget that we can be more than competitive in this league, they need to look at the other wage bills in this league.

"I know what kind of money is being spent on players and we can't afford it. You can't go into the tuck shop and buy £5 of sweets if you've only got two quid.

"I'm listening to people's expectations that are unrealistic and I don't know if I can cope with that for another nine months."
Graham Heathcote

"I get astonished by the expectations here and if people aren't happy with me saying that expectations are unrealistic then that's tough, that's the way it is.

"Those expectations might drive me away.

"I'm listening to people's expectations that are unrealistic and I don't know if I can cope with that for another nine months. "My preparations for this game were watering the pitch and sweeping the tunnel and, with all due respect, I don't think (Exeter manager) Paul Tisdale was doing that this morning. "You can talk about expectations all day long but that's the reality of it. "Don't get me wrong, other people are doing lots of good things for this football club but that sums up the reality of the situation."

Heathcote is also frustrated by the lack of finance at his disposal after a summer in which he missed out on several playing targets to bigger offers from other Blue Square Premier clubs.

But he highlighted the progress made at Alty over the past five years and is still confident his side can avoid relegation this season.

He added: "This club lives within its means and it makes life very difficult.

"I haven't paid a penny for a player in five years but you've got teams coming into this league and straight away spending money on players.

"I've given as much as I can give for this club in the last five years.

"We've gone from £700,000 in debt with a quagmire of a pitch to having no debt and a good pitch, all at my own expense.

"No other manager at any other club who has no feeling for that club would do that. They'd look after their own end and they'd say I need this and I need that and they'd badger their chairman until they got it.

"I want do as well as the next man but the club have made a decision to move forward on ground development.

"Maybe I need to be a bit more selfish or perhaps I need to be at another club to be more selfish.

"But I honestly think the players did fine today. I'm stood here after a reasonable performance and we've been whacked 4-1.

"They played well but then we got picked off and it could have been five or six at the end.

"4-1 looks like a drubbing but I know it wasn't and you have to see beyond results sometimes."

@AltyDaz

bighairedmike

Re: Hope your'e proud
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »

"I know what kind of money is being spent on players and we can't afford it. You can't go into the tuck shop and buy £5 of sweets if you've only got two quid.

Unless you're Crawley. ;D

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Hope your proud
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:55:59 AM »

I think it was a shame this happened on the first day off the season; and i thought we played a very good first half and were definatley the better team.

We have just been beaten by one of the favourites for promotion.. onwards and upwards..
Come on you red and white........

baldrick

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 10:03:19 AM »

I think Graham is doing a good job but he must understand fans will get frustrated when the clubs only immediate ambition seems to be avoiding relegation. The players gave up when Exeter took the lead and that is worrying. I think Graham should hold a questions and answers session for anyone who wants to attend. Give him a chance to explain the clubs position and his plans for the future.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »

I think Graham is doing a good job but he must understand fans will get frustrated when the clubs only immediate ambition seems to be avoiding relegation.

The question is, league-wise, what other realistic expectation is there?
Mid-table? Amounts to the same thing; and we are certainly not a realistic possibility for promotion.

A couple of good cup runs is about as much as we can hope for - and that depends on the luck of the draw.

Personally, I would be happy with survival, anything else is a bonus.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:39:13 AM »

If you read this graham, then I think you and the team played well today, you have made some quality signings.

Personally speaking, the key moments were when the linesman did not make a couple of offsidr decisions and it definetly affected moral.

The heat of the day also took its toll, but you have prepared the best you could.

I think because it was the first game some fans got dissapointed, never mind lets move on!.

nimega

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »

I'd give GH the keys to Altrincham town, for what he has done for this club.

Let's hope he stays!!

Altysmiffy

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 10:50:53 AM »

Hear hear.

The vast majority of Alty fans agree I am sure.

Bath Alty

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »

Personally my expectations / priorities for the year are

1) Continued financially sound management of the club
2) finish 15th to 20th in league
3) continue to improve attendences

and it would be nice to have a cup run and turn over another league team - this would help the finances and remind the town that Alty are back in the top flight and well worth watching.

I think these first two objectives in particular are much much more achievable with GH in charge than anyone else.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

I completely agree and support Graham he knows our situation better than anyone and I trust that he is doing what he believes is right. Some of the arrogance and ignorance showed by some of our support is sometimes unbelievable and what the f**k were the songs about the AGM and Boston about? Nothing to be proud of and Boston aren’t a club I have got a good word to say about. 

altyf

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »

Well, in a way it is something to be proud of, the AGM thing, because its reward for two things...
1...running the club admirably
2...finishing in the highest of the relegation spots

But agree about what you say about Boston and some of the support  :)

baldrick

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:47:17 AM »

I think a lack of communication is causing unrest among certain fans. There must be a lot going on behind the scenes that the ordinary supporter knows nothing about. Graham should explain the situation.

Bath Alty

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

I think Alty are one of the most open and honest clubs around when we talk to fans about financial info, targets for the season and the restrictions we're working under.  If the "ordinary supporter" hasn't picked this up from the website, programme notes or SAM articles how else is GH supposed to talk to them?  (Other than during a game or immediately afterwards as this approach didn't seem to work very well yesterday)

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »

I think GH's "unrealistic expectations" is what a lot of fans would call ambition. We're not stupid, we know we'll never compete at the top of the league, but if we don't have something to aim for (i.e. an expectation) why the hell are we even bothering?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Hope your proud / communication
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »

When Baldrick talks about a lack of communication from the manager / club, then he is talking nonsense

The club's website is always up to date and puts those websites of our premiership neighbours to shame. The content is always accurate and conveys the 'full' picture in relation to what is happening at the club i.e there are no secrets other than confidential info (eg players wages etc).
People should try reading it. For those without internet access, then the Messenger provides a good level of info.

The club has also held forums in the past, but surprisingly the last one was not well attended.

On another communications theme; yesterday I heard a (long time) supporter ask why Lewis Chalmers was not playing. His friend replied that the player must be injured ! 
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Hope your proud