PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 England euro 2012 thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: England euro 2012 thread  (Read 47760 times)

Jezza

Re: England euro 2012 thread
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »

what the greece result does highlight is how england cannot be complacent about just having to get a draw V ukraine.

The only worrying part for me is that what seems to have been initially a tight defence, following cahill's injury is very fragile and John Terry is a very obvious weak link...

Good on roy for making a very sensible substitution.....I'd have rooney in for young for the ukraine match.

And glenn johnson seems to have discovered how to defend.

Has anyone met anyone who actually enjoys having the england band at matches......I can't stand the dreary drones of the great escape or rule britannia and I am convinced it has a tiring effect on the players....and I'd be livid if I'd shelled out to get to the championships and found myself anywhere near the selfish annoying egotistical musicians......they were bought in to drown out unsavoury chants for euro '96 and they are not needed anymore!!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »

what the greece result does highlight is how england cannot be complacent about just having to get a draw V ukraine.

The only worrying part for me is that what seems to have been initially a tight defence, following cahill's injury is very fragile and John Terry is a very obvious weak link...

Good on roy for making a very sensible substitution.....I'd have rooney in for young for the ukraine match.

And glenn johnson seems to have discovered how to defend.

Has anyone met anyone who actually enjoys having the england band at matches......I can't stand the dreary drones of the great escape or rule britannia and I am convinced it has a tiring effect on the players....and I'd be livid if I'd shelled out to get to the championships and found myself anywhere near the selfish annoying egotistical musicians......they were bought in to drown out unsavoury chants for euro '96 and they are not needed anymore!!

I've not seen any evidence of this yet!

He got an easy ride over the goals, for the first one Young shouldn't have left Mellberg but seeing this had happened Johnson should have stepped up and not played him onside.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:34:36 AM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

whopper

« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »

I think music at international level is quite acceptable, christ are we the worlds dullest fans or what?

Vuvuzelas, trumpets, drums etc all widely accepted as atmosphere boosting instruments, apart from with a few moaning alty fans zzzzz

fuertes

« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »

I think music at international level is quite acceptable, christ are we the worlds dullest fans or what?

Vuvuzelas, trumpets, drums etc all widely accepted as atmosphere boosting instruments, apart from with a few moaning alty fans zzzzz

"Widely accepted"? By whom? Bollocks as usual.

Anyway, yeah, Ashley Young has been poor and should be out of the side. It'd be hard to leave Theo out for the next game too.

I'm not a Glen Johnson fan but more often than not when he's been called upon to defend he's done very well. Certainly better than in SA when every time anyone ran at him or he had to defend a high ball you fully expected him to get rinsed.

It's nice for Hodgson to have a few attacking players who seem to be in form and a settled defence/central midfield. Walcott, Welbeck and Carroll all did well, Rooney is the best player and is once again eligible. I still think Terry is a tad dodgy (at one point he looked out of his depth trying to deal with Ibrahimovic) but better to keep him in for the sake of continuity than break things up now.

whopper

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »

"Widely accepted"? By whom? Bollocks as usual.

Anyway, yeah, Ashley Young has been poor and should be out of the side. It'd be hard to leave Theo out for the next game too.

I'm not a Glen Johnson fan but more often than not when he's been called upon to defend he's done very well. Certainly better than in SA when every time anyone ran at him or he had to defend a high ball you fully expected him to get rinsed.

It's nice for Hodgson to have a few attacking players who seem to be in form and a settled defence/central midfield. Walcott, Welbeck and Carroll all did well, Rooney is the best player and is once again eligible. I still think Terry is a tad dodgy (at one point he looked out of his depth trying to deal with Ibrahimovic) but better to keep him in for the sake of continuity than break things up now.
erm widely excepted by most of the football world as its part of most games to have a carnival atmosphere apart from your boring backward lifeless view.

Snore out with the john terry crap he's a top draw champions league centre back deal with it you chat so much sxxx

whopper

« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »

Also have to say a stronger manager would leave rooney on the bench as a matter of principle, i could see the germans having this attitude with a talented but indiscaplined striker for sure
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:59:54 PM by dangerbeak »

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »

Having a band in a big stadium at a tournament adds to the atmosphere. The England band can be bloody awful though, not least thanks to a tedious playlist that should be on the dad's army soundtrack.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »

Really enjoying the tournament and watching England, watching the game in pubs has never been better! no to cool for school anti "Ingerland"types and much less happy clappy once a year face painted folks !!

The band is fine in the big stadiums and competitive matches , come on England!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:05:23 PM by altrincham »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »

Russia all the way..... Red army!!!

Jacko,

Your tips never fail to entertain.

I'd stick to practising on your vuvuzela in preparation for the pre-season friendly at Abbey Hey if I were you...!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »

Also have to say a stronger manager would leave rooney on the bench as a matter of principle, i could see the germans having this attitude with a talented but indiscaplined striker for sure

I'd be very inclined to leave Rooney on the bench, but he won't be. Suppose he'll be fresh, but how match fit he is is another matter.
(can you say "is is "? It sounds ok, but doesn't look it   ??? )

fuertes

« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2012, 04:19:27 PM »

erm widely excepted by most of the football world as its part of most games to have a carnival atmosphere apart from your boring backward lifeless view.

Snore out with the john terry crap he's a top draw champions league centre back deal with it you chat so much sxxx

I don't think it is "widely excepted [sic]". But continue to believe as much on the basis that I have a backward lifeless view. It's certainly easier than finding any real evidence.

Top draw CL defender?  :D :D He got sent off in the crucial semi, missed the final, then changed into a full kit to raise the trophy. What an utterly useless C**t.

whopper

« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

You dont stay first choice centre back at chelsea with romans billions for so long without being 'top drawer' sir

Hamilton

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »

You dont stay first choice centre back at chelsea with romans billions for so long without being 'top drawer' sir

Unless you're one of Roman's bestest mates!

whopper

« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

cant imagine those two chillin tbh

joe

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »

cant imagine those two chillin tbh

He 'chills' on Romans yacht so they must be quite pally.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 England euro 2012 thread