PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robbie Lawton
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Robbie Lawton  (Read 6869 times)

bighairedmike

Re: Robbie Lawton
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:25:45 PM »

was it only me that though ballers was joking. It seems everyone else is naming positions left right and centre (literally) so why not on the elft wing. ;)

AltySi

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »

I can not fault Robbie Lawton's effort for the cause, but he's simply not up to it I'm afraid, what frustrates me so much is that he never even gets substituted - EVER!. Surely, even though he's captian, he can come off if he's not doing the business.

markecky

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »

was it only me that though ballers was joking. It seems everyone else is naming positions left right and centre (literally) so why not on the elft wing. ;)

i hope not..i hate falling for things like that, especially as I am rarely sarcastic myself.

Jenga

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 12:40:59 PM »

Robbie is one the better players in the team but last years position has been taken by Denham and I dont think Robbie would even argue this point.

It is funny how last year we all said Robbies best position is centre mid and now he becomes a passenger by all accounts ^^

I think Batts has been great at right back since getting in to the team and I feel sorry for Laney as well.

So we have Lane and Lawton on the bench, jeez it is a strange world.

Personally beyond commenting on everyone elses comments above I dont really have an opinion myself on the issue but perhaps he might make a great Goalkeeper, that way we can drop Coburn as well and kill two birds with one stone - RESULT !!!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »

I have gone mad, as you well know. As if all of us weren't weird enough to start off with.  ;)

However, And it may only be me who thinks this but Robbie Lawton is far better at running down the left wing than he is on the right. Some right footed players find it easier to do that (Danny Murphy or higher up Dumitrescu/Ginola). The technical reason I think is that with his right foot on the right wing his touch has to be more precise. On the left it's easier because you can drag the ball away from the defender and then use your body to block him.

Try running with a ball using your right foot, it's easier when the ball goes across your body than out to the side so to speak, and easier to then knock it straight forward with the outside of your foot thatn vice versa.

This doesn't make sense on a forum but I know what I mean.

I've always thought Robbie was good at driving down the left after a couple of charges in the Woking game we lost 2-3 and he's done it ona number of occasions since. The only time I can remember him charging effectively down the right was the 3-0 at home to Northwich

What I think we lack is someone to drive us on, make yardage. Sometimes we seem to be harried into giving the ball away beacues awe don't move anywhere and get closed down. I'd love to see Robbie steaming off and buying us some ground before we start playing the ball (I remember him doing this away at Oxford as the 5th midfielder in the 1-1). I'm not saying hug the touchline line like Jesper Olsen or something or float perfect Sholwer like crosses in, we've got 2 proper right wingers to do that now. Just to drive us on a bit more. He has seemed a bit lost in centre mid (which is his best position) recently going sideways across the pitch and not quite dominating the play.

But as said earlier, we don't have enough centre mid for this option. Also, and this could be evidence I really have gone cuckoo I wonder what he'd be like as an emergency centre forward, strong powerful and I bet he'd hold it up better faced with physical challenges than some other forwards we've had...

Anyone?...

Alex

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »

i think robbie would do best playing just off little, in the same way liverpool use gerrard just off torres (not saying they are the same standard or anything - i doubt torres is better than little  ;)) that way he can drive forward and hold the ball up more for us. and i doubt some of the defenders in this league would enjoy playing against the physical pressance that robbie has.

plus it always works on football manager  ;)

HeyAlty

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

I think every team needs a tireless runner in the centre of midfield otherwise we'd get over ran. I agree his passing isn't the best but I still think he should start and alongside Danylyk

Garveys Brother

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

Maybe we should make up a new position for him, like how wing back was invented. Can anyone think of a newly invented position for Lawton.

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

Robbie Lawton covers more of the pitch every game than the rest of both midfields put together do - but for no reason. Most of his efforts are spent running after the referee (Gary Neville style) complaining about every decision made. The rest of the time he's berating his fellow team mates for making 'errors'. If he spent 10% of the time he spent arguing with either the referee or his team mates concentrating on passing the ball to feet he would be a semi decent midfielder. As it stands unfortunately he is not a patch on Denham, Danlyk or Lawton and as for being the captain and a role model ...... ??? ???

bighairedmike

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »

Robbie Lawton covers more of the pitch every game than the rest of both midfields put together do - but for no reason. Most of his efforts are spent running after the referee (Gary Neville style) complaining about every decision made. The rest of the time he's berating his fellow team mates for making 'errors'. If he spent 10% of the time he spent arguing with either the referee or his team mates concentrating on passing the ball to feet he would be a semi decent midfielder. As it stands unfortunately he is not a patch on Denham, Danlyk or Lawton and as for being the captain and a role model ...... ??? ???

Errrm, what?!

HeyAlty

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:53 PM »

Your entitled to your view but thats a load of rubbish!

VofD

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »

Maybe we should make up a new position for him, like how wing back was invented. Can anyone think of a newly invented position for Lawton.
MANAGER ;) ;) ;)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:08:33 AM »

Surely his ability to not be a path on hisself sets him apart from others.

I do wonder however whether Stan sees the same games as I do. It is doubtless a game of opinions and individual perceptions and all the better for that. However I think that he is a very good appointment as captain. The respect initiative allows Captains to talk to Referees but, irrespective of whether someone is captain or not, "running after" the Referee in the manner you suggest is an absolutely nailed on Yellow Card. The lack of (at least) one Yellow card per match suggests that you may be misinterpreting the situation.

Berating Teammates? Would you prefer that he didn't comment on the (sometimes) very obvious shortcomings of his team mates? I wouldn't.

May I be so bold as to suggest that you may be accused of holding Robbie Lawton in the same "esteem" as that in which Mr Needham holds Warren Peyton, probably both of you sharing  the ability to demonstrate the same depth of vision as demonstrated by Nelsons eyepatch. 

RocketDan

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 01:37:01 AM »

the Lawton Role, see the Makelele role but errr. for robbie.

its a sort of an 'deep attacking inside wide holding sweeper', which is certainly robbies best position.

seasonticket

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:30 AM »

I have gone mad, as you well know. As if all of us weren't weird enough to start off with.  ;)

Quote from Ballers "What I think we lack is someone to drive us on, make yardage."

I like this idea it could solve all our problems . After this all we will need is a decent Quarter Back. Robbie could play Wide Reciever and so get us easily into the End Zone.....Touchdown!! No problems.
 Get the pitch re-marked and bring it on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robbie Lawton