PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Segregation
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Todays Segregation  (Read 6887 times)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Todays Segregation
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »

I know what kind of reaction I'm going to get about slagging of volunteers or endorsing fan aggro but I cannot fathom the reason for segregating the home fans in only half of the popular side.  There were far too few gainsborough fans to be concerned about and the weather was fine.  The outcome was a spoiling of the atmosphere for me and I dare say a few others who usually stand in a quiet part of the ground.
Its not a massive deal, just a pity.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Todays Segregation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »

Totally agree with you on this one Toff Apple - I have emailed the chairman on this topic and his reply said that the Ground Security Staff decide on whether or not fixtures are segregated or not.  If its not segregation it is due to the fact that the Rich Bastard's from OT cant be arsed to take the Scaffolding down around the camera gantry after there reserve matches

As a popular side fan I too get pissed off that everytime we play a game with anything resembling around a hundred fans then "WE" the loyal home fans have to suffer just so that a few dozen of the opposition fans can stand in the far end of the popular side stand.
We are the folks that chip in each game to the kitty just as much as everyone else that goes to the matches.

No other ground in this league (to my knowledge) have restricted the "Alty" fans this season so why should our club deem it necessary?
I received a letter from the Chairman this week asking for me and my wife to join the "Patrons" scheme again for next Season.
As there seems no suggestion of this ludicrous situation changing anytime soon, my only course of protest is to not renew our Patronage for  next season, hence the club not getting £100 from the Shrewsbury Two.

This may sound like a minor matter to non popular side fans but it really pisses me off that we always get shoved around like bleeding lepers - Rant Over

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »

Maybe we are just being thoughtful and considerate hosts!  ;)

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »

excluding a handful on Gainsborough fans, two thirds of the pop side were practically empty. Allocating them the entire away end and one third of the pop side was a joke - were the club really expecting them to bring over 500?

I don't see why the stewards couldn't have been more flexible and removed the fencing as soon as they saw that the vast majority of the Gainsborough fans we staying in the chequers end.

The only argument i can think of for why they allowed them a section of the pop side was in case it rained, but quite frankly i would have happily sacrificed a few Gainsborough fans getting pissed on for my regular position on the pop side.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »

When we went to Southport in happier days, we stood on an open end in pouring rain and howling gales. And there were more of us than Gainsborough brought today.

If segregation is essential (eg Halifax) then the open end is quite sufficient to handle the numbers concerned.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »

There is a very simple solution to this problem.

Buy two or three new fences and install them  three quarters of the way along.  This will allow a sterile area to be in place and people to stand on the halfway line.

Today was out of order, it killed the atmosphere and probable forced people who wouldnt normally stand next to the singers to do so.  So everyone lost out.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:28:10 AM »

It reminded me of the OTT segregation during the Maunders era. Of course money is tight but, as Ecky says, new fencing which is better placed could work.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:10:13 AM »

Sounds petty, but I was pretty pi$$ed off today having to watch the last game of the season from a 'non-regular' spot whilst 15 Gainsborough fans got to stand on the far side of the pop side.

Segregation wise, it was completely OTT and I still don't see why (800 Wrexham fans excepted) the home fans are penalised when a few hundred away fans turn up 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:25:33 AM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »

Today, I was in the sponsors lounge, but you have my sympathy very much.

I doubt there was any fun banter between both sets of fans, as they were too far away to hear each other, losing a lot of the atmosphere and my favourite aspect of supporting the Robins at home. Who cares if the away fans get wet. If Southport cannot find us shelter when we go to their games, why the heck should we. The open away end also loses it's sound, unlike the Golf Road and Popular sides.

United shove the away fans into a corner, Barcelona I noticed, shoved the Chelsea fans onto the third tier, where the game must have looked as if it was being played by ants. I have a lot of respect for my club, and enjoy it's unique closeness to the fans. I also feel as if I belong to the club as well, but I did feel the segregation was unnecessary. The only time this was needed, was when we played Wrexham.
I have often stewarded the sterile area in between, and there are very very few problems between sets of supporters. Certainly the Gainsborough fans were fine yesterday, those in the bar afterwards were ok as well. They just hated Boston instead of Macc!

Forget the rain, they will have to get wet!!

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »

I don't understand why any segregation is necessary at this level of football.

If there a history of trouble between the two sets of fans then OK.   

One of the side effects of segregation is to make us look Billy Big Bollocks to opposition fans. Very few clubs deem it necessary to segregate us when we visit them.   

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »

Completely agree with everything said about segregation , didn't see the need yesterday ,surely as an away fan you will check out the facility's before going to the match
and be prepared  , i do this when i go away ,i think ecky has the best idea about the fencing , that way they can give some shelter if it rains .

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »

I think it's right to keep away fans in the away end - I certainly don't like them being able to walk round and stand in our home end. I just can't see why we allow them to stand in part of the popular side when the capacity of the chequers end is about 1,400. If it rains, they get wet - live with it.....
Come on Alty!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »

We are too nice sadly,the club needs a meaner streak, thats why weve won the fair play league, and why we're midtabe.The away end holds over 1,400, there can only have been a tenth of that from gainsborough yesterday.Its an away game, you deal with it.Home suppporters match day experience shouldnt have to suffer at the expsense of the first away following gainsborough have bought in living memory...

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »

It was correct to segregate yesterday. To have such draconian segregation given the numbers brought made no sense at all.  It would be great if the club could explain why it was like that.

Eckys idea is a very good one.  How about a double fence on the final third of the popular side, towards chequers, with a smaller but adequate no man's land between the two? You can then accommodate away fans if need be, and the rest of the popular side becomes usable, particularly the middle section with the raised roof. You could also leave that final third empty and leave everyone on chequers if you needed a bigger no man's land.

As for the rain, its all very well being nice and accommodating to away fans, but if the knock on effects inconvenience and alienate the regular home fans then the priorities are getting lost.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:46:45 AM by Bob »

roytonmike

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »

I don't understand why any segregation is necessary at this level of football.
If there a history of trouble between the two sets of fans then OK.   
One of the side effects of segregation is to make us look Billy Big Bollocks to opposition fans. Very few clubs deem it necessary to segregate us when we visit them.   
Completely in agreement with this post. If the opposition are bringing hundreds (eg Halifax, potentially Chester next year, or - God forbid - FCUM), or if there is 'previous' (eg Barrow) then give them the open end and do as Ecky suggests regarding fencing, but for Heaven's sake allow home fans to spread out along the popular side to at least the end of the newer roofed section. In the vast majority of cases the opposition bring penny numbers, so segregation is totally unnecessary. One of the pleasures of BSB North is having the freedom to stand where you like - we should be happy to extend that freedom to our guests just as they do to us.   
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Todays Segregation