PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cheshire Senior Cup  (Read 5480 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Cheshire Senior Cup
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »

We start at home to Chester on November 4th.

Cheadle Town v Stockport County is potentially interesting in an uninspiring draw (in keeping with the competition generally I suppose).

Sandbach United fans will probably enjoy their trip to Prenton Park more than Macclesfield's will relish visiting 1874.

Teasierbeaver

Re: Cheshire Senior Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »

Sandbatch United have fans?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »

Can't see Chester being as poor as they were in the pre-season.
Full time and proud of it

roytonmike

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »

As November 4th is a Saturday (the date of the FA Cup 1st Round Proper, as it happens), I presume the Senior Cup ties will be scheduled for the midweek prior to this date. If that is the case,  the Shaw Lane game will have to be postponed. If the Trophy game the previous Saturday went to a replay the Senior Cup game would have to go back a week. Hopefully someone will see sense & fix the Senior Cup game for Tuesday November 7th. I don't imagine Chester will send a full 1st XI, by the way - nor will we, I guess.

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »

I remember a few years ago, probably mid 80's we had a Cheshire Senior Cup game on a Saturday sometime in December if I remember rightly, whilst at the time
we were competing highly in the top flight of non league, yet the Cheshire Cup game took precedent ahead of an APL game.

I can understand the National FA Cup / Trophy takes priority, but not a localised minor county cup competition. 

Once again, the Cheshire FA think they are the gods of the footballing world.

roytonmike

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:46:57 PM »

I remember a few years ago, probably mid 80's we had a Cheshire Senior Cup game on a Saturday sometime in December if I remember rightly, whilst at the time
we were competing highly in the top flight of non league, yet the Cheshire Cup game took precedent ahead of an APL game.
I can understand the National FA Cup / Trophy takes priority, but not a localised minor county cup competition.  
Once again, the Cheshire FA think they are the gods of the footballing world.
Senior Cup games on Saturday afternoons in the 1980s -
8.3.1980 semi-final v Witton at Runcorn; lost 1-2; had to postpone APL game at Maidstone (fortunately the following Saturday was available)
9.1.1982 Rd 1 v Stalybridge (home); won 4-1
6.3.1982 semi-final v Macc at Witton; won 2-1
24.4.1982 final v Runcorn at Crewe; won 1-0; start of the mad week when we played Sat, Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri. Sat!
9.3.1985 semi-final v Vics at Macc; drew 3-3
20.4.1985 final v Runcorn at Vics; lost 0-2
15.2.1986 quarter-final v Runcorn (home); drew 2-2
Do any of those fit the bill? At a guess you may have been thinking of the first one because it caused quite a stir at the time - we wanted to play our reserves in the Senior Cup while fulfilling the Maidstone fixture with our 1st XI but I think both the league & the County FA said no  
Since 1986 CSC has always been midweek; I think I'm right in saying that Conf Nat games take precedence over Senior Cup (not that Conf Nat teams field full 1st XIs in their county cups, of course) but at all levels below that county cups take precedence over midweek league games. I could be wrong about that - perhaps someone out there knows that rule book better than I do.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:49:05 PM by roytonmike »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »

Anyone know if Sandbach Utd have any links with Sandbach Ramblers? Went there in the early 70s with my dad. Funny feeling we may even have lost to them but not sure.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »

Anyone know if Sandbach Utd have any links with Sandbach Ramblers? Went there in the early 70s with my dad. Funny feeling we may even have lost to them but not sure.
Feb 19th 1972, Senior Cup 2nd Round, Ramblers 2 Robins 1. Dennis Fidler scored for us - we were abject. As far as I know the Ramblers lost their ground & went west later in that decade - I worked in Sandbach from 1977-81 & have no recollection of them at that time. The present United club is said to be an amalgamation of Sandbach Albion & Sandbach Ramblers (who presumably re-formed at some point) dating from about 2004. Hope that helps.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »

Cheers Mike, it was in my formative years of supporting, remember Willie Mailey getting some stick, did he play fro nearby Crewe for a spell?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

roytonmike

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »

Cheers Mike, it was in my formative years of supporting, remember Willie Mailey getting some stick, did he play fro nearby Crewe for a spell?
Yes - see my piece in next Saturday's match programme for a bit more about him!

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »

They are a separate club playing at a different ground on the outskirts of Sandbach. I think the reformed club, mentioned by Mike, had a limited connection to the original club. When our game at Darlington was off in Febtuary, I saw thrm beat Charnock Richard 3-1 in front of 102 spectators. The match was refereed by the chairman of the Cheshire League who accepted no dissent whatsoever and Sandbach's win was largely due to the fact they had cottoned on to this (unlike Charnock) although former Alty reserve Boris Melingui had an excellent game after coming on as sub, also scoring a goal.

Surprisingly, the ground didn't have a proper stand then,  just a couple of tiny covers behind the goal, although I believe they have put one up since, as this was their first season in the NWCL. There were loads of pitches outside the main ground,  though, and I think they are one of the biggest clubs in the country in terms of the number of players they have in all their junior sides.

I can also remember us playing the original Sandbach Ramblers in a Cheshire Senior Cup game on a Saturday in 1975. For some reason, the game didn't start until 3.30, but that 30 minute delay felt like an eternity to a 10 year old!

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »

are they all ramblers ?

oh i see i was a bit behind on my reference to the erstwhile ramblers .

talking of teams in that locale are middlewich still a minor force in south cheshire . i recall a very funny day out there which i assume was a senior cup game on a saturday.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:22:13 PM by thegazelle »

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »

are they all ramblers ?

talking of teams in that locale are middlewich still a minor force in south cheshire . i recall a very funny day out there which i assume was a senior cup game on a saturday.

I think that was January 1977....FA Cup 3rd Round Day....my recollection is of a 2-0 win.

roytonmike

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »

are they all ramblers ?
I think that was January 1977....FA Cup 3rd Round Day....my recollection is of a 2-0 win.
7th January 1978 - it was indeed Middlewich Athletic 0 Alty 2; scorers Johnson & Rogers; Middlewich goalkeeper was I believe one Willie Mailey (see earlier in this discussion!)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »

are they all ramblers ?
7th January 1978 - it was indeed Middlewich Athletic 0 Alty 2; scorers Johnson & Rogers; Middlewich goalkeeper was I believe one Willie Mailey (see earlier in this discussion!)

My first ever away game. Dave Carrick, I think, was another ex-Altrincham player playing for Middlewich Athletic that day.

Middlewich Athletic also folded, but, unlike Sandbach, the new club continue to play on the same ground, Seddon Street. They are now called Middlewich Town and play in the Cheshire League Div 1,  one division below our reserves.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Cheshire Senior Cup