News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The season so far

Author Topic: The season so far  (Read 3627 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The season so far
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »

Even I did not predict we would have amassed 39 points straight after Christmas. This team constantly springs up surprises, even more so to other teams in the league. Some of our results have been astounding, with today's result at Eastleigh yet another shock win. Perhaps this isn't such as shock to the management team and players. Lee and Neil know exactly when a team should peak, and amassing 12 points over Xmas is a welcome return. Are we now becoming a team to fear, rather then whipping boys. I know it is too early to say, but the likes of Barnet had a poor result today, Aldershot appear to be in freefall, how many other teams are going to start a drop in form. Lee has got us peaking at just the right time, as he did last year and look what happened to us.

I think as with other opinions, that we are seeing the benefit of a settled team, and barring further injuries do we really need to make any further signings? Playing more regular football for Greg at Stockport, will also benefit the team as we could see his fitness had suffered in his last game, but he has been hampered by other players playing so well. The difference with Masha has been a pleasant surprise this season as he has improved immensely playing a more regular game. The decision to send out Greg on loan, will help during the run-in as we will need to avoid injuries and I think Lee has this in mind. And what of Damien Reeves and his return of 15 goals so far at this stage of the season.  We have a great squad with strong players who all have a contribution to make, and a management team who make continual shrewd judgements which benefit both the team and the club.

What a pleasure it has been following Altrincham this season. Kiddy will have a hard game next weekend, I am hoping to go next Saturday, but not sure if we have something on Saturday night. Either way, it is worth going for the FA trophy as well, long time since I've been to Wembley (1986), and we are all due another visit. Key game this season will be Barnet at home and Bristol Rovers away. In all honesty though, every game is a key game now with our situation but there is much to now be positive about. Forget the Nuneaton game now, this was a fine win, and we are now one of the form teams in this league. There are more shocks to come me thinks, and the playoffs are not impossible, but a cup run would also give much needed revenue.

The more good football we play, the better players we will attract during the close season, so even if we do not gain promotion, we can become a well established conference side. Keep the faith all; this proves to be a roller coaster season. Fine team and great management and board, what more could we want.  And all this in my 40th season supporting this fine club. Now promotion in the playoffs, that would be a great reward, but I would also take a trophy run!!

Keep up the good work all, and......

How far can we go????

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The season so far
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »

If you have a look at the Sky sports table, this shows the last six results, win lose or draw. This makes very interesting reading when you look at the form sides, including us. Especially the teams in the playoff positions and on the fringe. There is only Bristol Rovers and one or two others who have better form than us. What has happened to Aldershot and indeed Woking and others above us??

anglo alty

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »

It is without doubt a fantastic effort and one we can all be proud of but with just under half a season to go we must carry on in the same vein we were in a similar position lge wise in 99-00 admittedly with a few less points but ended up relegated. So far so good well done Lee and the boys see u Sat at Kiddy a home game for me

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:19:41 PM »

It is without doubt a fantastic effort and one we can all be proud of but with just under half a season to go we must carry on in the same vein we were in a similar position lge wise in 99-00 admittedly with a few less points but ended up relegated. So far so good well done Lee and the boys see u Sat at Kiddy a home game for me
We were only 6 points clear of the drop at the same stage in 99/00 - http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference/1999-2000/table/2000-01-08
Strangely we'd only played 22 games, as opposed to 30 now. Can't recall if it was a bad winter or we'd won some cup games. Probably the former.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

We were only 6 points clear of the drop at the same stage in 99/00 - http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference/1999-2000/table/2000-01-08
Strangely we'd only played 22 games, as opposed to 30 now. Can't recall if it was a bad winter or we'd won some cup games. Probably the former.

This was the more worrying table from March

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference/1999-2000/table/2000-03-11
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:23:33 PM »

OMG did we really on pick up 5 points from being 10th in the table - bloody hell, never knew that.

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »

It was bad but i wouldn't worry about it

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »

OMG did we really on pick up 5 points from being 10th in the table - bloody hell, never knew that.

Oh yes it was terrible. I had the pleasure of 33 games that season and it felt good most of the time with some excellent draws but we needed the odd win.

It must be a league record fewest defeats relegation?
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The season so far