PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Development players
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Development players  (Read 8446 times)

Knutty robin

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Development players
« on: January 02, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »

I can't confess to having any real knowledge of the standard of the young and up and coming players but there seems a reluctance to blood any.  We might even find a decent striker!

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Development players
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:48:40 PM »

I can't confess to having any real knowledge of the standard of the young and up and coming players but there seems a reluctance to blood any.  We might even find a decent striker!

Several are on loan and we do now get updates.

I think the standouts for potential are Hussain and signing Goodson, think both are still injured.

Think Morton has a good reputation but didn't start last game out on loan.

Not sure if any of the younger players are anywhere near National League standard yet,  but a lot of credit to the academy set up.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 01:41:46 PM »

Unfortunately the levels at which the majority, if not all, of these players are operating is so far below where they need to be if they're going to be any functional use to the first team I can't see much chance of seeing another Duncan Watmore, Nicky Daws or the like

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 03:33:06 PM »

Goodson probably our best opportunity to see someone develop. Boston are a good size club; whilst struggling theres potential there.

Brockbank played at CN level as well.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 04:38:51 PM »

I don't think any are anywhere near the required level, but that's not a criticism of the setup. It's easy to forget this is a new Academy that is still developing. It needs to prove itself capable of generating consistent Northern Premier League talent as a baseline, and this season is certainly the first one I can think of where we have had such a big cohort of young players out on loan.

It seems to be a much more professional setup than the one Duncan Watmore came through, who was beyond a generational talent. I think we all know how unrealistic it is to expect another Watmore in our lifetime, lightning doesn't strike twice. The closest we've had in the decade since is probably Sam Heathcote's appearances in the National League in 2015/16, followed by Lawrence Taylor's National League North introduction in 2016/17 - maybe Joel Torrance's move to Salford?

So, we've got a long way to go but you can see the forward steps we're taking. I don't think we're ever going to be Crewe-lite with a conveyor belt of talent through to the first team. I just don't see how we can compete for Greater Manchester's talent pool with the number of clubs and academies on offer. That's where Crewe and to a lesser extent Chester are able to capitalise. They have their own catchment areas.

It would be amazing to see a local Academy graduate captain the side one day but it's likely that our Academy will serve the purpose of giving qualifications and opportunities to young lads, generating the occasional first-team squad player every couple of seasons.

I'm excited and interested to see how it develops.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 04:57:53 PM »

It would be good to see if Goodson has potential with a couple of rw appearances later in the season. It could be he might eventually be more useful to us than, say, Jackson or Kaja.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 08:16:35 AM »

Whilst they're struggling now - and it would be lovely if we were the ones to eventually replace them - Rochdale's model which allowed them to punch above their weight for the past 15 years or so is a good one to follow.

They've produced (or picked up early in their academy careers) quite a lot of talent around the L1 level such as Will Buckley, Matty Lund, Jamie Allen, Joe Rafferty, Callum Camps, Ollie Rathbone, Aaron Morley, Andy Cannon, Scott Hogan - with Craig Dawson being their 'Watmore'.

It'll be a gradual process, but for now if we can get to the point that we're developing the odd Conference player and banking a fee, that's got to be the first step.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »

Apologies

Just to clarify, my point related to the level of football our developing players (inc Reserves) are playing at, not the quality of the individuals per se

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 10:06:59 AM »

Apologies

Just to clarify, my point related to the level of football our developing players (inc Reserves) are playing at, not the quality of the individuals per se

Are reserves playing at an adequate level is a question I've asked? I appreciated its allowed marriot and a few others to get fit but could they play higher or should we scrap and have a 23' team playing with academy grads
It's all my fault.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 09:28:50 PM »

I see Mike Clegg has joined as Chief Scout from Ashton after the two recent hidings they were given.

Well connected fella in non league circles, should hopefully open up some new avenues for us.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 09:51:45 PM »

Apologies

Are reserves playing at an adequate level is a question I've asked? I appreciated its allowed marriot and a few others to get fit but could they play higher or should we scrap and have a 23' team playing with academy grads

I think having a reserve team is a good thing. The problem is that it plays at step seven and reserve sides are not allowed higher than that as I understand it. I'd like to see them in the North West County league but they won't allow it.
Having an academy and/or u23 set up is not quite as good imho as it doesn't provide the 'rough and tumble' to harden the youngsters up playing in a 'man's' league.
You've only got to look at how well West Didsbury & Chorlton have done with mostly ex Alty reserves.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 01:50:32 AM »

There's a young chap (Billingsley?) scoring a few goals at youth and reserve level.

Anyone got any info on him?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2023, 10:38:38 PM »

I see Mike Clegg has joined as Chief Scout from Ashton after the two recent hidings they were given.

Well connected fella in non league circles, should hopefully open up some new avenues for us.

Is he the ex man u player who retired from playing in his mid to late twenties?
If so, isn't he still on the staff there?

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2023, 10:59:54 PM »

Is he the ex man u player who retired from playing in his mid to late twenties?
If so, isn't he still on the staff there?

I think he is somebody different who just happens to have the same name.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 11:03:56 PM »

There's a young chap (Billingsley?) scoring a few goals at youth and reserve level.

Anyone got any info on him?
Yes, it is Lewis Billingsley, who has been very prolific at that level.

He has recently gone on loan to Ashton Athletic in the North West Counties Premier, where he scored two goals on his debut. He certainly looks like he might be one for the future, but I imagine he will go on loan somewhere higher again as the next step.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Development players