Would you watch rugby on telly instead of going to the meet the recruits night

Yes
- 24 (66.7%)
No
- 12 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 21, 2007, 01:34:58 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Meet the recruits or rugby on telly  (Read 9377 times)

penfold

Re: Meet the recruits or rugby on telly
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 09:02:35 PM »

At the end of the day, whilst many Alty fans dont care about rugby (I being on of them) there are obviously people out there who will give it a miss due to the final and the club couldnt risk a poor attendence caused by another event and so it was in the best interests that it be moved to another date.

The addendence won't be affected on Saturday  because the Final is on ITV at 8pm where as the Alty game is usually kick off. So our attendence from home supporters won be any different to what it normally is. However, the Away support might be a little crap, if they want to watch the rugby and they cant be arsed traveling to Alty.

we're not talkin about the mytch attendance. read the name of the thread mate!

I am aware that we are not talking about attendence, i was just answering a point made by Moss Lane Man, he appeared slightly concerned.
Rugby depends where you gtrow up really, most people that had a middle class childhood ended up playing Rugby, where as those who didnt, or come form a working class background follow, football, after many generations there has become a divide in the fans attitude towards the game. Probably many years ago fans at a football games were probably like Rugby fans of today, however, with the development of major rivalrys this has slowly decreased in football, and violence is more common between fans at football.
I know its off the subject but it sort of relates, the cricket fans like englands barmy arm drink from 10am - till the end off pplay at cricket and you never get croud trouble there, so its jst football fans and there lack of respectt for the game which gives them a bad image.

altyf

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 10:10:44 PM »

QUOTE FROM PENFOLD
"The addendence won't be affected on Saturday  because the Final is on ITV at 8pm where as the Alty game is usually kick off. So our attendence from home supporters won be any different to what it normally is. However, the Away support might be a little crap, if they want to watch the rugby and they cant be arsed traveling to Alty"

Whoa whoa whoa, Im afraid you have completely missed my point "penfold", I was referring to the "meet the new recruits" night, "even-smaller-haired mike" was right, i wasnt at all saying the attendance at the match would be affected, I am fully aware of the KO time in the rugby as I am watching it myself, i was saying that it was a good move by the club to move the event despite the fact a lot of people dont like rugby...nothing on this thread relates to the match attendance its all about the "meet the new recruits" night.

YOU A*SE...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:19:16 PM by Moss Lane Man »

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18:29 PM »

Rugby depends where you gtrow up really, most people that had a middle class childhood ended up playing Rugby, where as those who didnt, or come form a working class background follow, football,

I'm exceptionally middle class yet believe Rugby to be a load of shite.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

baldrick

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 12:21:15 AM »

As the rugby is an evening kick off i think there would be time to play the football match then get the players in the bar for a light hearted meet and greet session and then put the rugby on telly for anyone interested. The match attendance won't be affected. Ebbsfleet will only bring 50ish. A lot of their fans deserted them in protest at the name change, although i'm sure most of them will gradually start returning.

altyf

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 08:08:30 AM »

I'm not even that confident they'll bring 50, last year they brought about 7 when we lost 2-0 i think it was.

crossie

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 12:09:14 AM »

Rugby depends where you gtrow up really, most people that had a middle class childhood ended up playing Rugby, where as those who didnt, or come form a working class background follow, football,

I think Penfold is trying to suggest that, if you played rugby as a Lad at school you normally tend to follow it, vice verser with football.
Ill have you know rugby isn't a load of s*it its a more physical game than football, and the player get on with the game instead of roling on the floor like fairys if someone clips there leg. AKA DROGBA  he's a right diving git, bit of a puff really. At least the rugby players have the respect for the Ref, and dont question his judgments. In rugby if you do argue with the ref, you team is sent back 10 yards if you conceed a penelty, you think they should introduce this in football but lets say sent them bk 5 yards or so?

penfold

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »

Exactly, thats the point i was trying to make thank you! An anyone who says rugby is S*ite hasnt lived and they are so missing out on a mint game.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 11:04:13 AM »

I think Penfold is trying to suggest that, if you played rugby as a Lad at school you normally tend to follow it, vice verser with football.
Ill have you know rugby isn't a load of s*it its a more physical game than football, and the player get on with the game instead of roling on the floor like fairys if someone clips there leg. AKA DROGBA  he's a right diving git, bit of a puff really. At least the rugby players have the respect for the Ref, and dont question his judgments. In rugby if you do argue with the ref, you team is sent back 10 yards if you conceed a penelty, you think they should introduce this in football but lets say sent them bk 5 yards or so?

Rugby players do go down if somebody clips there leg, because they don't expect it. I dare say Drogba gets elbowed in the air more than rugby palyers do. it's all about anticiapation, if I know someones running at me I am steeled for it, if I'm running with a football and someone kicks my leg it hurts, I'm not expecting it. Rugby players go off injured when they twist their ankles just like footballers do.

They did try the 10 yard rule in football but it's of lesser importance in football. It may have been better if you were allowed to move the ball anywhere in a 10 yard radius.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 01:11:36 PM »

I'm aware of what Penfold was trying to suggest.

Your hackneyed and cliched arguments have won me over.

Rugby is great!
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

penfold

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »

I'm aware of what Penfold was trying to suggest.

Your hackneyed and cliched arguments have won me over.

Rugby is great!

Thank you im glad someone has common sence out there.
Someone before said rugby players go down easy just like the footballers. The thing is when a footballer twists his/her ankel they alsways get a stretcher, waste about 5mins in a match. Rugby players on the other hand atleast try and play on for abit longer or if they do go off the pitch they will walk off. A strecher is only used when a player is totaly screwed, i.e they have broken there legs or recieved an neck injury. So rugby rules as far as im concerned, iv beening playing for 6 years now, and no one will change my argument to this!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 03:25:25 PM »

Well I was forced to play rugby at a school that did not play football and I have no time for the game at all (not to mention many of the objectionable types who used to play the game).

Exactly, thats the point i was trying to make thank you! An anyone who says rugby is S*ite hasnt lived and they are so missing out on a mint game.

Oh dear god, I haven't lived. What am I to do? Does this mean that I don't really exist?

Horses for courses. It's like trying to compare oranges with lemons.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

markecky

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »

I felt like a right woman the other week with that France game.   I watched the last seven minutes.

I didn't know  what was good and bad, how many points they should get for what, or if booting it out for a throw was a good thing and how long was left.

Can't understand why there is not more dead arms in it, or why people don't do knuckle heads in the scrum.

teasybeaver

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 03:44:59 PM »

i just cant get in to rugby hope they win it but crap game imo

As much as I love football and would never want any other event to compromise the success of a club event, I disagree strongly with the above. Having watched all England's players put their bodies on the line from start to finish in their last two games and seen their steely determination win the day against the odds, I consider rugby union to be one of the finest sports there is. It's not just the game itself that makes it such a great sport, it's little things like the amount of respect shown towards match officials. I was watching Canada v Australia a couple of weeks back and the referee told one of the Canadian forwards off for swearing. The burly forward simply responded by saying "sorry sir" and the game continued without any further disruption. The level of respect these guys have for the match officials is a far cry from the antics of footballers who think nothing of manhandling referees and, in the case of John Terry a few weeks ago, grabbing the ref's arm as he was about to dismiss one of Chelsea's players. Football is, and always will be, my favourite sport, but there is so much that should be learned from the fine example set by rugby union. Another little thing is the passion shown by the players. Look at the way the football and rugby teams sing our national anthem. Most of the footballers either stare at the floor or mime the words with a look of embarrassment on their faces. The rugby lads belt it out with pride and look as though they actually mean it.

I could go on all day but I think you get the idea.  :)

I have fond memories of playing rugby against Altrincham Grammar. They had a 2nd row who wore a rather fetching pair of sports goggles! The guy played with the passion that is mentioned above!

Unfortunately the rest of his team were crap and we panned them every time!

Who was that man!  ;)

Alty365

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »

It was I     ;D

In the three years I played for our rugby team I can only recall winning twice, against Marple Hall and Sale Grammar. We also drew one match against Knutsford.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:53:35 PM by Alty365 »

penfold

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »

[/quote]

I have fond memories of playing rugby against Altrincham Grammar. They had a 2nd row who wore a rather fetching pair of sports goggles! The guy played with the passion that is mentioned above!

Unfortunately the rest of his team were crap and we panned them every time!

Who was that man!  ;)
[/quote]

They are still pritty crap now, but they probably improved a little bit since then.
And someone before but i was forced to play and i hated it! How can you be foreced to play, you either play the game if you good at it and want ( the WANT)  to play on the school team or you dont.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Meet the recruits or rugby on telly