Would you watch rugby on telly instead of going to the meet the recruits night

Yes
- 24 (66.7%)
No
- 12 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 21, 2007, 01:34:58 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Meet the recruits or rugby on telly  (Read 9374 times)

baldrick

Meet the recruits or rugby on telly
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:34:58 PM »

The club have postponed the meet the recruits night due to fears that rugby on telly would reduce the attendance. Are they right or wrong? My opinion is that these things attract the real hardcore fan who would rather miss their own wedding than lose the chance to meet the new players.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Meet the recruits or rugby on telly
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »

The club have postponed the meet the recruits night due to fears that rugby on telly would reduce the attendance. Are they right or wrong? My opinion is that these things attract the real hardcore fan who would rather miss their own wedding than lose the chance to meet the new players.

agreed and i just cant get in to rugby hope they win it but crap game imo

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »

I agree personally Baldrick but I think the club would rather these occasions were well attended so although I'm sure the regular 30 or so would still be there it is preferable if a wider audience can be attracted.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

penfold

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:53:47 PM »

Watch the rugby any day, its a once in a 4 year period when we get the chance to watch a final in the world cup, so me and many other ENGLAND fans will be watchin the RWCF. Also the club would make a nice little profit from showing the game in the bar due  to the amount of people drinking and watching the game. So in my opinoin meeting the recruits can be on any other night if the week.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »

Men playing with odd shaped balls and cauliflower ears; sweating and pushing and heaving in a maelstrom of male hormones, heads up arses in the scrum.......what's all that about?

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Alty365

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »

i just cant get in to rugby hope they win it but crap game imo

As much as I love football and would never want any other event to compromise the success of a club event, I disagree strongly with the above. Having watched all England's players put their bodies on the line from start to finish in their last two games and seen their steely determination win the day against the odds, I consider rugby union to be one of the finest sports there is. It's not just the game itself that makes it such a great sport, it's little things like the amount of respect shown towards match officials. I was watching Canada v Australia a couple of weeks back and the referee told one of the Canadian forwards off for swearing. The burly forward simply responded by saying "sorry sir" and the game continued without any further disruption. The level of respect these guys have for the match officials is a far cry from the antics of footballers who think nothing of manhandling referees and, in the case of John Terry a few weeks ago, grabbing the ref's arm as he was about to dismiss one of Chelsea's players. Football is, and always will be, my favourite sport, but there is so much that should be learned from the fine example set by rugby union. Another little thing is the passion shown by the players. Look at the way the football and rugby teams sing our national anthem. Most of the footballers either stare at the floor or mime the words with a look of embarrassment on their faces. The rugby lads belt it out with pride and look as though they actually mean it.

I could go on all day but I think you get the idea.  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:12:07 PM by Alty365 »

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »

i just cant get in to rugby hope they win it but crap game imo

, it's little things like the amount of respect shown towards match officials. I was watching Canada v Australia a couple of weeks back and the referee told one of the Canadian forwards off for swearing. The burly forward simply responded by saying "sorry sir" and the game continued without any further disruption. The level of respect these guys have for the match officials is a far cry from the antics of footballers who think nothing of manhandling referees

I'm not a fan of rugby union, but I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments quoted. Football would be a better game with this attitude.

baldrick

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 06:29:28 PM »

Coming from the south i rate rugby in the same league as marbles or tiddly winks, but i thought northerners were into rugby league, not union. I know there is an England rugby league team but Union at international level seems to be far more popular.

penfold

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »

Ur right there most of the rugby teams around hear are Rugby league, however the nearest rugby club to Alty is Sale Shark (the best team ever) and they won the guiness premiership 2 seasons ago. I think there is only one other club further North than Sale and that is Newcastle Falcons.

altyf

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »

At the end of the day, whilst many Alty fans dont care about rugby (I being on of them) there are obviously people out there who will give it a miss due to the final and the club couldnt risk a poor attendence caused by another event and so it was in the best interests that it be moved to another date.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 07:09:24 PM »

, it's little things like the amount of respect shown towards match officials. I was watching Canada v Australia a couple of weeks back and the referee told one of the Canadian forwards off for swearing. The burly forward simply responded by saying "sorry sir" and the game continued without any further disruption. The level of respect these guys have for the match officials is a far cry from the antics of footballers who think nothing of manhandling referees
[/quote]

As a match official myself I cannot do other than agree 1000%

Also I know that any coach abusing a match official like football managers do gets banned not only from the touchline but entirely for months not weeks and, in most cases also gets sacked.....if only!!!!!

bighairedmike

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »

As a match official myself I cannot do other than agree 1000%

Also I know that any coach abusing a match official like football managers do gets banned not only from the touchline but entirely for months not weeks and, in most cases also gets sacked.....if only!!!!!
[/quote]

We would have been managerless ages ago if people got sacked for abuse!

After watching as much of the rugby world cup as was possible i would be insane not to watch the final. Also the rugby league team is Great Britain and not England as England do not have test status. This will change next year and effectively take over the Great britain mantle. Rugby is probably my second favourate sport after football and the level of respect for officials, opposing players and their own country from players is absolutely immense.

penfold

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »

At the end of the day, whilst many Alty fans dont care about rugby (I being on of them) there are obviously people out there who will give it a miss due to the final and the club couldnt risk a poor attendence caused by another event and so it was in the best interests that it be moved to another date.

The addendence won't be affected on Saturday  because the Final is on ITV at 8pm where as the Alty game is usually kick off. So our attendence from home supporters won be any different to what it normally is. However, the Away support might be a little crap, if they want to watch the rugby and they cant be arsed traveling to Alty.

Butty

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »

can i also add, as a rugby player, that the fans also are very good. Often at rugby matches, there is no segregation, and the fans also drink a lot more than football fans. Another thing is the respect for the anthems. The players belt out there anthem, as do the fans, and, completely unlike football, the opposition fans fall silent and respect the opposition national anthem

bighairedmike

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »

The addendence won't be affected on Saturday  because the Final is on ITV at 8pm where as the Alty game is usually kick off. So our attendence from home supporters won be any different to what it normally is. However, the Away support might be a little crap, if they want to watch the rugby and they cant be arsed traveling to Alty.

we're not talkin about the mytch attendance. read the name of the thread mate!
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Meet the recruits or rugby on telly