PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Very Disappointed
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Very Disappointed  (Read 8075 times)

Alty365

Re: Very Disappointed
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 12:46:14 PM »

Can someone please remind me when Berkeley returns from international duty. I only saw a brief glimpse of him in the friendly against Bangor, but I thought he looked ok. Maybe he could be the answer to our problems?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »

O'Neil isn't a striker but someone who can link play between midfield and attack .. who holds the ball up and allows players to 'catch up' with play .. He's not a striker but a forward.

Jenga

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 12:48:45 PM »

It has been said before, O'Neill is not a striker, I still dont get it why people think he is. O'Neill is there to hold the ball up and lay it off to others. However there is now a new argument potentially.

The problem I believe lies in Colin Little.

He is not the proven goalscorer he once was. He is not fast enough, tall enough, or strong enough.

It is Colin who needs to now be replaced.

Sorry to all you Colin ites - I am sure I will get peaked for it but look to your head, not your heart on this one.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »

Yes, I feel that GH has addressed most of the other deficiencies in theteam but not been able to get us a big target man - which, it seems to me, we have been crying out for for quite some time (and why he took the gamble on 'tuck shop' Thommo)

Having said that, people who can fill that role well enough to get 15 a season in this league are few and far between - and certainly not available at the kind of money we're able to offer.

If it were up to me, I'd give Robbie Lawton a few games up there along side Colin (when he comes back). He's got the legs and has certainly got the size to create space for others rinning through - and it doesn't look like GH will play him in central midfield consistently.

With Pottsy/Logan supplying ammunition, what have we got to lose?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 01:52:48 PM »

It has been said before, O'Neill is not a striker, I still dont get it why people think he is. O'Neill is there to hold the ball up and lay it off to others.

But at present he's even failing to fulfil that job description!

He lacks physical strength and defenders brush him off the ball all too easily, as was demonstrated by Aldershot's back four last Saturday.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »

It has been said before, O'Neill is not a striker, I still dont get it why people think he is. O'Neill is there to hold the ball up and lay it off to others. However there is now a new argument potentially.

The problem I believe lies in Colin Little.

He is not the proven goalscorer he once was. He is not fast enough, tall enough, or strong enough.

It is Colin who needs to now be replaced.

Sorry to all you Colin ites - I am sure I will get peaked for it but look to your head, not your heart on this one.

Thats a very brave post Mr Jenga.  Colin Little is not the player he was but his touch and vision is still way above anyone else in the team.  He is simply a class act, but he needs the ball to be fed to him.  If he had been on the end of one of Potts 4 killer crosses then he would have scored at least one.

Got to say he's lost a bit of appeal for me with his "I'll go if GH goes" article in the paper.  I thought he always wanted to end his career at his local club regardess of who the manager is.

Still one of Alty best players for me though.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »

Got to say he's lost a bit of appeal for me with his "I'll go if GH goes" article in the paper.  I thought he always wanted to end his career at his local club regardess of who the manager is.
/quote]

Ecky,

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one to be disappointed by those remarks from Colin Little.

The club is not about a single individual.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

moousee

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »

As a club, we seem breed stikers that are fast but lightweight. We need a bullish center forward to help Colin out. I think that you are spot on with Lawton, probably sitting back behind the striker. That way we could comfortably deal with either Little or Senior up front. Both just need a decent ball delivering, and they could make do. Senior in particular impressed on saturday, he is really nippy and uses his size as a nuisance , not a hindrence. Pott's playing for at least an hour each match would be a huge bonus as well. We dont NEED a new striker on loan (although it could help), we have perfectly capable players, we just need to get them sorted in the best way...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:37:11 PM by moousee »

Butty

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »

[/quote]

maybe colin knows something from the inside and he meant that as ill stay at alty until im not needed anymore, maybe he knows that Graheme will be at the club for the future who knows?

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »

As a club, we seem breed stikers that are fast but lightweight. We need a bullish center forward to help Colin out. I think that you are spot on with Lawton, probably sitting back behind the striker. That way we could comfortably deal with either Little or Senior up front. Both just need a decent ball delivering, and they could make do. Senior in particular impressed on saturday, he is really nippy and uses his size as a nuisence, not a hindrence. Pott's playing for at least an hour each match would be a huge bonus as well. We dont NEED a new striker on loan (although it could help), we have perfectly capable players, we just need to get them sorted in the best way...

Well said with Potts and Carlos on the wings delivering fast low ball Little and Senior will do fine.

altyf

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »

I love senior, o'niell and little and would love to see little and senior have a go with potts and logan on the wings. Little wouldnt just lose class like that, he may not be tall or fast but he can do a job and just needs a help from the rest of the team. Im a big fan of o'niell, if you disagree thats fine, just an opinion i really love his effort and commitment and I hope he starts to play like last season! Because I think hes been poor so far.

Bath Alty

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »

So if Little wasn't so senior and Senior wasn't so little we'd be fine.

I'll get my coat..

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 12:49:49 AM »

Little has had no service this season so far.

He has been given nothing by the midfield and that is why he has done very little.

He may be passed his best but most strikers would look sh*te given the service Little has had in the first three games (despite this he did manage to score once).
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

highwayman

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 07:28:02 AM »

"So if Little wasn't so senior and Senior wasn't so little we'd be fine."

Ha Ha Ha - that's brill!!!!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk