News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Respect

Author Topic: Respect  (Read 5869 times)

GB Alty

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Respect
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »

Some great tussles against John Carroll sides over the years and some top players referenced in that article too. A true football man.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:28:23 PM »

Very sad news at only 57 years old.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:44:29 PM »

RIP John, as I mentioned to Jamie earlier a name synonymous with our younger days watching Alty, and far too young to go.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:43:13 PM »

Very sad news indeed.

A "proper" , old school player and, like most of them at the time a proper nice guy to boot

RIP John.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »

An archetypal uncompromising centre half, whom I first saw playing for South Liverpool circa 1983 when they were managed by Kingy and George Rooney.

RIP - a well-respected character from many memorable Alty v Runcorn duels of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Here he is in a South Liverpool team photograph from Saturday, 24th October 1985 (alongside some players with connections to the Robins):

Back Row (l-r) Kenny Meadows (Asst Manager), Dave Higgins, Barry Whitbread, Tony Dunn, Russ Hughes, John Carroll, Laurence Iro, Mike Thomas, Cliff Roberts (Manager)

Front Row (l-r) Euan Simpson (physio), Joe Rice, Tim Rutter, Ronnie Kilshaw, Joe Rice, Steve Joel

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »

An archetypal uncompromising centre half, whom I first saw playing for South Liverpool circa 1983 when they were managed by Kingy and George Rooney.

RIP - a well-respected character from many memorable Alty v Runcorn duels of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Here he is in a South Liverpool team photograph from Saturday, 24th October 1985 (alongside some players with connections to the Robins):

Back Row (l-r) Kenny Meadows (Asst Manager), Dave Higgins, Barry Whitbread, Tony Dunn, Russ Hughes, John Carroll, Laurence Iro, Mike Thomas, Cliff Roberts (Manager)

Front Row (l-r) Euan Simpson (physio), Joe Rice, Tim Rutter, Ronnie Kilshaw, Joe Rice, Steve Joel

Steve Joel in that picture works at Arriva Bootle i have some good chats with him when i'm there with my job he spotted my Altrincham fc pen.
@AltyDaz

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »

Great memories of him at Runcorn and as one part of the McKenna-Carroll double act at TNS (New Saints), worth the admission fee alone to hear the banter and one-liners directed at the officials and anyone who dared barrack them . Many thanks John

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »

As well as Barry Whitbread, Laurence Iro also played for us.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »

As, indeed, did Tim Rutter (ex-Runcorn right full back), who recorded two appearances for us during the 1982/83 season.

I also think that the Tony Dunn pictured might also be the same one who made just a single appearance for Alty as a used substitute during the 1985/86 season.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »

Memories of when i first started following Alty the references and Carroll himself.

RIP

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

As, indeed, did Tim Rutter (ex-Runcorn right full back), who recorded two appearances for us during the 1982/83 season.

I also think that the Tony Dunn pictured might also be the same one who made just a single appearance for Alty as a used substitute during the 1985/86 season.

Euan Simpson may well have been our physio too at some point.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:48:46 PM »

Euan Simpson may well have been our physio too at some point.

I think that he was physio for the Birmingham FA Cup game & FA Trophy win at Wembley against Runcorn in 1986.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Respect