PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can we.....................
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can we.....................  (Read 5333 times)

boltonrobin

Re: Can we.....................
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »

We have some good headers of the ball, particularly Young and not forgeting the height of Senior! Not sure if Williams knows how to jump yet though. I understand he might be lacking in experience at this level and will come on as the season goes, but I think he needs some heading training. Anyway I digress.

LOL.....How high do you want him to jump?

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »

It's not just corners,we are not too clever on throw in's either,on a number of
occasions at home I have seen us nearly concede a goal from us directly giving
the ball away from our throw in.

fuertes

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »

I know it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but with Nicky Clee now staking a decent claim to be a first-team regular, I think we should really go for it on throws. When everyone is fit, just pile the box full with Young, Williams, Johnson, Lawton. Senior can stand right in front of the keeper to block him off. Then Nicky hurls it in.

I know people talk about the need to keep the back door shut, but invariably the more men you pile into the opposition box, the more players they bring back. Unless someone makes a terrible error, we shouldn't concede from a breakaway. This is the Conference, the players aren't good enough to slickly knock the ball around from their own box a la United vs Arsenal in the Champions League. They'll just punt it to the one man they've left up top.

Sorry for rambling. It just grinds my gears when a) we don't go for it on set pieces, and b) we encourage other to teams to go for it against us by bringing every single player back.

boltonrobin

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »

I think we have only scored from a freekick in the friendly against Bolton this season, when Williams hit the bar from a header and Youngy finished it off.

The thing is, I don't think that DJ, Youngy & Robbie have any idea where the ball is going to go from a freekick/corner? There doesn't seem to be a set playor plays in operation.  The ball is never delivered to the same place twice and all three run in different directions, hoping one of them get on the end of one.

I might me talking ***p, but that's what it looks like to me.

Jenga

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 12:42:40 PM »

We have some good headers of the ball, particularly Young and not forgeting the height of Senior! Not sure if Williams knows how to jump yet though. I understand he might be lacking in experience at this level and will come on as the season goes, but I think he needs some heading training. Anyway I digress.

LOL he is about 12 inches off the ground there and the Crawly player is crouching down. I am sorry but that is not a jump in my book but a hop in the air only.

Narcissist

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »

It might be worth inviting Chris Sharratt, Ricky Harris and Paul France back to Moss Lane, so that they can then hold a training masterclass to demonstrate the effectiveness of near post corners?

Bomber flick-ons. The stuff of legend. If we signed Clee for his long throws, surely we should have brought bomber out of retirement to flick them on.

I also remember sharratt and judas terry doing a little short corner routine where they pretended to try a short one and time the run wrong only for one of them to dart back and get the short pass after a pretend mix up.

Maybe after the success of bomber et al GH has decided to retire corners in his honour and in actual fact nowadays we do them badly on purpose.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »

We did score from a long throw/corner last season... Michael Welch against Weymouth I think. Didn't he flick it on at the near post and it went in??

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

It's even more baffling when you consider that GH was a fantastic taker of free kicks, and Ken McKenna was one of the best headers of a ball we have had at Altrincham, possibly equalling the great John Rogers.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »

LOL he is about 12 inches off the ground there and the Crawly player is crouching down. I am sorry but that is not a jump in my book but a hop in the air only.

He's clearly brought along some kind of metal pole to climb, anyway.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »

He's clearly brought along some kind of metal pole to climb, anyway.

If you can't find a pole then Roumanians are cheap!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can we.....................