PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can we.....................
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can we.....................  (Read 5331 times)

Longman

« on: September 13, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »

start whipping corners in please?

When are we going to relaise that these floated / punted corners do not work or cause defences any problems?

Nonleaguer

Re: Can we.....................
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »

Too many times we :

a) cannot clear first defender
b) hit it right over the box where no one is waiting
c) play it too close to a massive keeper.

Why not mix it and trying hitting it towards the penalty spot ?

Longman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »

Just whip the bloody thing in with pace so players can attack it and defenders are nervous!!!

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »

I've been complaining about us not having someone out wide for the knockback or overhit since the bloody mid 80's !

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »

We really do need to sort out our set pieces, because we are pants. Tom Kierney is quality but his corners are sh*te, whip the bleeding ball in. Just played with my team on Sunday and yeah it is miles and miles apart in standards but we scored three quality headers from a ball being whipped in from a corner. We have Williams, Youngy and Dale who can get on the end of a good ball. Also why do we do out swinging corners, it is pointless. We need to sort it out because it is very very poor and has been for years. We hardly ever score from a corner. A whipped ball can cause all sorts of problems only needs a mis time touch by a defender or pock from one of our players. After the first 25 mins we played well and deserved the 3 points in my opinion. Senior and Denham never stopped, hands up to them both !!!!

Longman

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »

We really do need to sort out our set pieces, because we are pants. Tom Kierney is quality but his corners are sh*te, whip the bleeding ball in. Just played with my team on Sunday and yeah it is miles and miles apart in standards but we scored three quality headers from a ball being whipped in from a corner. We have Williams, Youngy and Dale who can get on the end of a good ball. Also why do we do out swinging corners, it is pointless. We need to sort it out because it is very very poor and has been for years. We hardly ever score from a corner. A whipped ball can cause all sorts of problems only needs a mis time touch by a defender or pock from one of our players. After the first 25 mins we played well and deserved the 3 points in my opinion. Senior and Denham never stopped, hands up to them both !!!!

True.

Chris Denham works his t*ts off every game, he was unlucky not to bag his second screamer of the season yesterday!

VofD

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:39:55 PM »

It is just not the corners. The same happens with free kicks into the opposition box. And why not try the occasional short corner? Anything but the rubbish we have had already. I posted the same thing during the Cambridge match. >:( >:( >:(

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:33:05 PM »

In contrast one of the funniest things I heard yesterday was someone shouting "put the corners above the keeper to put him under pressure!".

We have some good headers of the ball, particularly Young and not forgeting the height of Senior! Not sure if Williams knows how to jump yet though. I understand he might be lacking in experience at this level and will come on as the season goes, but I think he needs some heading training. Anyway I digress.

The balls do need to be whipped in, or put on to the penatly spot.

There MUST be someone at the back of the 18 yard box, pretty much on the corner of the side of the box and the 18yard line to pick up the balls that overshoot or get headed backwards.

Actually back to Senior and his positon on corners, he seems to have been told to stand on the keeper. Now I can understand he isnt going to challenge for headers but in the same token he isnt really going to trouble the keeper either. He should be outside the box or the positon at the back. Johnson for my money should be on the keeper with Young, Denham and Williams (maybe) running in to head the ball and getting some power on it rather than heading it from a standing position.

Would welcome your thoughts on the above.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:43:37 PM »

Completely agree almost all of our corners are cleared or overshoot the attackers and end up on the edge of the 18 yrd box. a player hanging back there would be able to cross the ball back in and continue the attack
Bernard Taylors barmy army

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 09:25:53 AM »

Totally agree about Chris Senior. He can produce a strike of real quality on occasions, and would be much more useful at the edge of the box away from the big men. OK, from Chris's perspective, they're ALL big men, but I'm sure you get my drift !

fuertes

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »

Is this a case of our lack of training time dictating our set-pieces?

It's almost like we've decided we have a limited amount of time to work out systems, style of play, get used to everyone's strengths and weaknesses, so we've just said, "floating ball to back stick everytime - hopefully Youngy will get his head on it".

markecky

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »

Thats a good point Fuertes...Crawley could decide to spend all day on a Friday just doing corner after corner for example.

However takiing that into account the fact that stats show we have not scored from a corner since December 1995, its not good enough.

Every time Histon got a corner and dropped it on the back post I thought they would score.  I just don't get that feeling with us..

Jenga

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

Indeed Fuerties does make a good point.

I do remember we scored from a corner at Marine, cant remember when it was though.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »

Is this a case of our lack of training time dictating our set-pieces?

It's almost like we've decided we have a limited amount of time to work out systems, style of play, get used to everyone's strengths and weaknesses, so we've just said, "floating ball to back stick everytime - hopefully Youngy will get his head on it".

Except Greg Young doesn't go up for corners now. Robbie Williams does.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »

It might be worth inviting Chris Sharratt, Ricky Harris and Paul France back to Moss Lane, so that they can then hold a training masterclass to demonstrate the effectiveness of near post corners?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team