PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Defending corners
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Defending corners  (Read 4651 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Defending corners
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

Good topic, without doubt i would have reeves and watmore stood on the halfway! Bringing everyone back invites necessary pressure! Sinnott isn't great at basic tactics!

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

Good topic, without doubt i would have reeves and watmore stood on the halfway! Bringing everyone back invites necessary pressure! Sinnott isn't great at basic tactics!

Not just a Sinnott tactic this though, we've brought everyone back under McKenna and Heathcote.

Could argue that we like to play it out from the back anyway, passing it around, that the opposition will try to close us down and the strikers can find space upfield. I'm not saying I agree with having everyone back, but can see why we do it.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Jimmy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »

Yes but we don't play it out just blast the ball to nobody hence pressure continues correct it isn't just as Sinnott idea however it's still wrong

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

The Youth team have played this way since 1997-98 when I became Manager, Simple arithmetic, leave 2 up front, occuping 3 defenders & G.K. We have 9 defending V. 8 ATTACKING, 1 of whom is taking the corner. Clear the ball & the 2 up front, hold & mid-field come & support.

Mister Heslop,

I don't know where they taught you arithmetic but I reckon that should read 7 ATTACKING, 1 of whom is taking the corner, if the opposition have kept back three defenders plus their goalkeeper.

And to think that you used to make a living working in Accounts Departments...!

However, I totally agree with your reasoning on this issue.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »

I'm sure United or whoever do it for a reason. There's plenty of ways to defend corners.

What i would always say was that it depended on the players. i.e. if it was Dale Johnson/Kevin Hulme etc bring them back for corners.

What Chris Senior and Colin Little ever offered to the set piece defending I could never ever work out though...

Get back in yer box!

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »

Agree with George...   Everybody back is a pub team tactic i.m.h.o.

1)  A crowded penalty area leaves a keeper under more pressure.
2)  Cleared balls are coming straight back to you.
3)  More chance of deflections and goal mouth scrambles.
4)  More likely the opposition's 'big centre half' will both be up rather than one back.
5)  No out ball possibilities...
I could go on...     ...very poor,

Another tactic I can't personally stand is all players to one side of the pitch for a goal kick, if you are going to do it, at least leave your opposite winger out on the other side as an outlet and to keep the opposition guessing.  Pub team tactics again...

Jenga

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »

Agree with George...   Everybody back is a pub team tactic i.m.h.o.

1)  A crowded penalty area leaves a keeper under more pressure.
2)  Cleared balls are coming straight back to you.
3)  More chance of deflections and goal mouth scrambles.
4)  More likely the opposition's 'big centre half' will both be up rather than one back.
5)  No out ball possibilities...
I could go on...     ...very poor,

Another tactic I can't personally stand is all players to one side of the pitch for a goal kick, if you are going to do it, at least leave your opposite winger out on the other side as an outlet and to keep the opposition guessing.  Pub team tactics again...

Agree with all those points. As a goalkeeper a crowded penalty area is a nightmare as it is very dificult to chose whether to attack the ball (catch or punch) or whether to stay on your line.

Personally I would rather have 3 upfront.

Two sat between the edge of the penalty area and half way line (one in the centre and the other between the centre and the sideline where the corner came from) as the ball usually is pumped away to the same side as the corner was taken.

Then have the third being stood in and around the centre circle.

The ball generally is pumped/headed mid way inside your own half, play the ball forward to the guy in the centre circle then have the other two running forward to support the front man who can then lay it off again and find a position in the box. All good in theory i know, but it does work in my experience.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Defending corners