PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worst Ever Game?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst Ever Game?  (Read 4262 times)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Worst Ever Game?
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

The wrexham local paper has a double page spread (for local chester fans) about this weekends game, in it there is mention of a 13-2 defeat to chester in the 60's.
Is this alty's worst game, I am too young to have been there, how bad were we? 
I still see the defeat to mossley in the cup a few years ago as a personal low point.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

fuertes

Re: Worst Ever Game?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »

The worst game in the last couple of years was Burton at home for me. Absolutely pissing down, arrived at the ground soaked, the Burton fans were kept out of the rain so we had to stand towards the Golf Road meaning I could see sweet FA, then they beat us 3-1, then I got re-soaked on the way home.

Rubbish.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »

0-7 at Morecambe middle 90's although we all seemed quite relaxed after the sixth goal went in, who was our keeper that day ?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »

Was it jerome john? Or was he in net for the 7 we conceeded at woking? Or even both games?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »

The wrexham local paper has a double page spread (for local chester fans) about this weekends game, in it there is mention of a 13-2 defeat to chester in the 60's.
Is this alty's worst game, I am too young to have been there, how bad were we? 
I still see the defeat to mossley in the cup a few years ago as a personal low point.

That was 30 November 1929. Even I'm too young to have witnessed that one!

My worst 'game-experiences' would have to include the 0-6 hammering at Holly Park, South Liverpool closely followed by Colne and Burnley ...
But the many good times have more than made up for it! My favourite being the 6-1 hammering of Macc AT Macc in the Champs vs runners=up end of season match. Seeing them lift the Cheshire League trophy in a ground, by that time, devoid of home supporters was a fabulous experience - although trying to get back to the station afterwards was a bit on the hairy side!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »

The Morecambe game was bad. i'll never forget the joggers nipple I got as well that day to compound things.

But my worst experience was going down 2-0 on a windy/rainy Tuesday night away at Vauxhall Motors in front of about 300, mostly alty.

If I ever needed a reminder that we had fallen from grace it was that night. Its also something that springs to mind when people seem to think that we'd be better off in the BSN winning lots more games.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »

Its also something that springs to mind when people seem to think that we'd be better off in the BSN winning lots more games.

I've never grasped that argument either.  Play at the highest level you can possibly can.

I know we had a spat with Mansfield recently but rather go to Field Mill than Solihull Moor any day (no disrespect like)

gunners11

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »

1990 my worst game was alty losing 7-3 slough or yeovil can anyone remember it my best game was when alty won 9-2 against merthyr tydfil

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »

But my worst experience was going down 2-0 on a windy/rainy Tuesday night away at Vauxhall Motors in front of about 300, mostly alty.

If I ever needed a reminder that we had fallen from grace it was that night. Its also something that springs to mind when people seem to think that we'd be better off in the BSN winning lots more games.

If you're talking about the 0-2 reverse in Nov 2004 then I disagree as we had a good team at that point. Our lowest ebb was losing 0-4 at home to Harrogate on the opening day, 0-4 at Vauxhall and 1-4 at Hucknall a couple of seasons earlier.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

worst games ever for me ...

woking away 4-0 lose on a (early 90's) thursday night the game before theywere at wembely , there sub player/keeper saving a penalty and just everything went wrong also there keeper cockface batty came back on and had a great game after receiving treatment

or 3-7 against slough long ago with jamie spencer in net that was terrible , kidderminster fa thropy q/f 5-0 lose (lee hughes hatrick) or freezing my ass of at general chemicals in sub zero tremptatures
FFS

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »

The 1979 FA  Trophy defeat by Cheltenham, who were a League lower than us, and had a striker in goal.

And much more recently last year's debacle at home to Forest Green, when we turned a 2-0 lead into a 2-5 defeat !

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »

Got to agree with Ballers, that is quite possibly the worst start to the season we have ever had. It was so soul destroying to see 15 Harrogate fans celebrate on Chequers. If I felt like that, God knows what people like Cult felt who had seen the glory days!!!

Guisley in the FA Cup in Bernards last game was pretty bad. Probably never felt more gutted as I did that day.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »

There have been many, however strangely mine is a nondescript league game at home to Farnborough, I'd say mid 90's but I can't recall. We lost without a whimper to a poor side, it rained in biblical style, the crowd was around 550, and Hugh had a drum. I'd travelled up for the weekend from London. I can't recall but I'd guess it might be our first relegation season?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26:46 AM »

There have been many, however strangely mine is a nondescript league game at home to Farnborough, I'd say mid 90's but I can't recall. We lost without a whimper to a poor side, it rained in biblical style, the crowd was around 550, and Hugh had a drum. I'd travelled up for the weekend from London. I can't recall but I'd guess it might be our first relegation season?

SW,

I reckon you could be referring to this one....

Saturday, 23rd November 1996
GMVC

Altrincham...0  Farnborough Town...3

Attendance: 643.

One week after the 4-1 FA Cup defeat at Preston NE and seven days before that 7-1 embarrassment at Woking.

Bleak.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »

0-7 at Morecambe middle 90's although we all seemed quite relaxed after the sixth goal went in, who was our keeper that day ?

Jerome John.

The previous Saturday, we had lost 4-0 at Guiseley in the FA Trophy with Paul Collings in goal.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worst Ever Game?