News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 My heart goes out to Barry Pond...

Author Topic: My heart goes out to Barry Pond...  (Read 4086 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:49:13 PM »

He works admirably to attract sponsors to Moss Lane and now next season he is faced with the unenviable task of trying to persuade people to sponsor a home game against Redditch or Vauxhall Motors rather than the likes of Oxford United or York City.

Well, at least our Chairman is looking forward to a return to the Blue Square/Conference North....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altyf

Re: My heart goes out to Barry Pond...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:54:20 PM »

i second that...well done barry

Leighton_Alty

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »

i third that ;D

lukealty12

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:02:27 PM »

i fourth it

theflaggers

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 05:46:36 AM »

the flaggers will again sponsor a game no matter what league we are in, hopefully so will all the others from last year. It is a really well organised day, food is always good and Barry and Co make it a special day. 

markecky

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:27:41 AM »

Having done the commercial  managers job for 9 months I can tell you from the inside that it is the hardest job I've ever had.  Barry and his team do it for nothing and everyone gets so well looked after.  Ist another part of the club that few see but is so important.

Whilst all our supporter related sponsors will stay loyal, I fear that some of the sponsors we acquired a couple of years back may poiltelty say "give us a ring if you get back up"

Another reason why the delight of Conference North from some quarters is baffling.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:09:45 AM by markecky »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 11:03:59 AM »

Ecky,

Thank goodness somebody understood the point I was trying to make!

This season we had about 25 to 30 Oxford United supporters in the Alty Sponsors' Lounge for their team's debut at Moss Lane.

Next season, there won't be 25 supporters in total on the away end for the respective visits of Vauxhall Motors, Gainsborough Trinity, Redditch and so on.....

Yes, the lasagne in the Sponsors' Lounge is enjoyable......but the ensuing home defeat against Alfreton Town may well bring on a severe bout of indigestion.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »

Agree that Barry and co do a sterling job.

Undeniably it will be harder in the North...I'm assuming budgets will relieve some pressure.

If we are succesful we will get the best of both worlds hopefully with a swift return we all crave to the top flight  and a season of local cheaper football that a lot of supporters will appreciate and hopefully will still attract half decent support.......IF WE ARE SUCCESFUL.

A poor season in the North just doesn't bear thinking about while we'd all have lower expectations in the top flight.

Ecky I think it's a purely selfish view some of us have...I simply could not get the time or money to get to exeter, Weymouth, Oxford and struggled mentally with giving Oxford £18 to subsidise their living the dream...and I hated missing so much of the season. I acknowledge for our Southern exiles they have the opposite problem now and sympathise. I'm not jumping for joy about being in the North and if you saw me on sat'dee you'd have seen the desperate will urging the ball to go in the net. However I'm just looking at the positive and possibly realistic side of things and trying to maintain a bit of enthusiasm and excitement for a season in the North!!!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 11:40:10 AM »

Firstly I'll echo the praise to Barry and Co, who do a brilliant job.

I'm with Jezza on this.  I don't think any Alty fan is glad we're relegated,and when next season kicks in it'll hurt like hell at times.  I think its just a case of looking on the bright side and trying to stay positive. It's better to be like that than feeling sorry for ourselves.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »

Weel said, Bob
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »

I should also add that I am looking forward to playing hucknall and erm another chance to taste their simply terrific burgers..no other reason..no none.

teasybeaver

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

Agree on the whole thing. The internal (volunteer) network at the club is amazing and I envy the fact that I cant make any such similar commitment, you cannot fail to be proud of supporting this club, its just inspirational to see the effort that people make!

I also agree that a lot of people now who think the conf north is good for the club are wrong. If we'd won last saturday the same people would be saying how conf north would have ruined us! Its ok to be gutted about this relegation, the hardest thing to swallow is the fact that it wasnt about the Aldershot game, from day 1 we just weren't good enough! A few games into next season when we've lost a few fans and the away crowd contributes less than a corner flag to the atmosphere it will become clearer to some people how big a drop this is!

But you have to find a positive in order to move forward. For me the positive is that we have the opportunity to enjoy some good results, possibly trophies, even another play-off final and the icing on the cake is that for next season at least we probably wont have to face droylsden and the non-league circus of embarrasment that is the Dave Pace show!

(even if they are in conf national, we still know its all fake success)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team