News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 My take on Saturday....

Author Topic: My take on Saturday....  (Read 4482 times)

markecky

My take on Saturday....
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »

Dissecting Saturday has been done, I'm still going over chances in my head now and thinking what could of been.

For me the positive from Saturday was not the free kids scheme.  It was the amount of kids I saw in Alty shirts willing them on. 

Some of the lads on here are bloody annoying when they use topics to ask each other "wat deh is avin for tea".  However I've got to say I see a bit of myself in these lads, they really seem to have the buzz for it.

I only hope they stick with us, and have stood up to the people at shcool who said "ha ha, Alty went down, there rubbish..I support Man United me" .  I can still remember it being me and Gaz Stuart arguing the cause for Alty at school  when many times it would have been easier to pop to JJB sports and buy a United kit.

The atmosphere on Saturday was the best I have ever experienced in the Golf Road end.  Years ago I can remember Gary Warrington going round trying to get kids to come and join us with the singing.  There was about 8 of us sometimes, maybe 12 on a good day.  On Saturday I looked to my left and right and there were lads as far as I could see getting right behind them.

Whilst I appreciate that we ain't going to get that every week if we can get something like it for the first few games on next year, Alferton won't know whats hit them.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: My take on Saturday....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »

any idea /can anyone gues how many kids went for free on saturday ? should try and use it next season when possible.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:00:16 AM »

That's absolutely spot on Ecky, the same thought I have every time I see that picture in the sponsors lounge of some God forsaken Unibond match and i can pick out who is singing. And you're right about seeing a bit of us in themselves (if you're reading this lads it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be fat and bald in 20 years tho), I guess you've got to remember we were younger before the internet. Remember the early 90's when nothing actually happened during the week (i.e. the conference in the days when ex-league teams went straight back up). We'd have been on here all week wondering if Charlie Bradshaw would be fit for Saturday etc.

I hope the younger lads who've come down this season have enjoyed it and stick with us (it's ok you daon't have to all post replies on here saying that you will), cos we can all support United and Chelsea and that. Some were in the King George on Saturday watching a game taking place only 30 odd miles away that they didn't go to, oblivious to the drama that would take place at Moss Lane as well. They were into it but I just thought, what's hard about this, I know rooneys going to do something good soon and if they lose they'll still win the leeague or there's always the Champs lge. Great, can it honestly mean that much. I know united lads who agree with me on that.

Alty is harder but well worth it and I think it's one of the few football grounds that gives a good atmosphere. I think we should send out the Barnet video to all the local schools.  :D

Altysmiffy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »

One thing  missed in my childhood was my dad taking me to football matches. Going to see Chester beat Walsall in a league cup match doesn't count, especially when you live in Timperley. That was the only match I ever saw with my dad & I can't help but feel I missed out on something.

I urge all dads (& mums - lets be politically correct) to spend this quality time with their kids!

I feel a campaign coming on!!!!!!

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »

My dad brought me to Alty when I was around 5 years old, I still remember sitting in the main stand and asking why everyone is shouting come on Alty when the team was called Altrincham.

Oh didnt actually realise at the time that my dad actually played for Alty when he was a youngster. He was the reserve keeper (Brian Jenkins) - who an idea for another post just sprung up. I think he played for the first time a couple of times.

Anyway I digress.

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »

I was thinking it was the biggest noise made in the Golf Rd for many a year.

I thought we'd suck the ball into the net.

Hopefully that's given the new generation of Garys Eckys Nashas and Hughseys the springboard to take over the Golf Rd as their new territory...innit.

Cadiz Alty

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »

I have to say it was the best support I have seen from the golf road end for years (like 30)
Not sure where they all came from,  but it was really fantastic.

As you say I hope they come next year??

Leighton_Alty

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »

i'm one of them kids today, i still go welly and got people saying that 'haha alty got relegated', all is what i said was 'we'll bounc eback believe me', and one of our P.E teachers plays for Burscough who have just been promoted to the Conference North and he says that we should beat them, but yeh i have had stick pretty much all week so far and had to argue it out!

Leighton_Alty

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 04:50:43 PM »

and i hope to be one of them people like gaz, ecky who actually start off a song :P and i'm gonna stick with alty til i die!

Butty

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »

sme but i go to ambrose n used 2 b a ballboy but i havent gone down recently and when i saw the free u14s thing i just couldent resist and dug out my alty shirt and got behind the lads, it was a really great performance and i miss being 8 and watching alty from the stands before i started ballboying it really was a bit of a blast from the past

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 06:42:42 PM »

and i hope to be one of them people like gaz, ecky who actually start off a song :P and i'm gonna stick with alty til i die!

Starting off a song at Alty. Shouldn't be an indicator of when I felt like I'd actually grown up and was a bloke/football supporter (pathetic really) but it was  :D :D :D

Leighton_Alty

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 08:28:34 PM »

haha ballers

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:48:39 PM »

i'm one of them kids today, i still go welly and got people saying that 'haha alty got relegated', all is what i said was 'we'll bounc eback believe me', and one of our P.E teachers plays for Burscough who have just been promoted to the Conference North and he says that we should beat them, but yeh i have had stick pretty much all week so far and had to argue it out!

is that mr thomlinson or something like that??

so many people have been saying the HAHA Alty got relegated/ u must be sh*t to get relegated from the conference at me and some other lads that go regularly. My reply has been 'it aint the end of the world, i'll still be watchin them next year, by the way, how many united/city games have you been to this season? how can you really support a team you never see? why dont you come to alty they aren't as bad as you think.' They normally jus say 'not many, f**k off, i aint wastin my afternoons watching that sh*t.'

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »

why dont you come to alty they aren't as bad as you think.'

Now, there's a backhanded compliment if ever I read one....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bath Alty

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »

I interviewed somone from Alty for a job down here a18 months or so back.  His CV said he was interested in football so my co-interviewer (Weymouth fan) asked if who he supported "I'm only a few miles from Old Trafford blah blah blah" so my colleague asked "do you ever watch your local team?" - "No!  Why would I want to waste my afternoon watching those over weight wasters?"

Fortunately the rest of the interview was almost as bad and we happily rejected his application!  The look on his face at the end of the interview when I told him I had driven from Bath to Hereford and back to watch those "wasters" the previous weekend  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:11:58 PM by Bath Alty »
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 My take on Saturday....