PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More on Utd Reserves
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: More on Utd Reserves  (Read 10691 times)

markecky

More on Utd Reserves
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »

Looks like Salford are really concerned about crowds after only getting 4,800 last game.

"The most concerning thing for Salford – who had been hoping for crowds close to 8,000 at Barton – is that around 1,000 of the fans on Friday were from Hull FC. And with match day stewarding at the new stadium often in excess of £16,000 per game,Salford know they need to attract more fans.

They could find out in the next fortnight if Sale Sharks will be sharing the new stadium as they look to move away from Edgeley Park.

The stadium’s management company have also had further talks with Manchester United about the reserves playing there, and a party from the Premier League club will visit Barton early next month before committing themselves."

Got to hope that Sale do go there now....

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: More on Utd Reserves
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »

hope im wrong but from what ive read on the county yellow board , sale wont be moving

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »

Two rugby teams AND MU Reserves on one pitch.  I'm no groundsman but that is some wear and tear and I can't see MU reserves moving there if Sale go.

Who gets bigger gates Sale Rugby or MU Reserves?  More people = more pies so that may swing Salford one way of another.

Dislike MU hugely, but I do like their money coming into Alty FC!

It's a slice of life - other people making decisions that impact your future but you can't really influence them.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »

If they go we can always get northwich playing here next season, and if united do move to Salford I'm sure another clubs reserve side would be interested in using moss lane, the pitch is superb, and highly regarded in the northwest.Id love to see us do what northwich did and register a club in the north west counties league and have it as a reserve/ youth team giving players a chance to move on from the youth team.

fuertes

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »

I'm not a massive rugby fan, so can explain this to me? Do Sale see themselves as representing the entire Manchester area in rugby union? Stockport is a bit of a stretch for a team supposedly representing Sale, Salford likewise. Very odd.

I'd have thought United know they're on to a good thing playing at Moss Lane. It'd be very disappointing to see them leave.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

Id love to see us do what northwich did and register a club in the north west counties league and have it as a reserve/ youth team giving players a chance to move on from the youth team.

As far as I can see, that would be fantastic. It would be a real bridge between what the youth players experience now and the 'rough and tumble' of, say, step 7 and above. I'd love to see it happen. Would it be so very much more expensive for the club than playing in the NWYA? If not, it should certainly be considered.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »

It seems a bit of a scary precedent, that. Could Manchester City do that? Set up a team to play at some tin-pot level at that 7,000 seater they're building near Eastlands? And could they get up the pyramid and end up playing us?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

It seems a bit of a scary precedent, that. Could Manchester City do that? Set up a team to play at some tin-pot level at that 7,000 seater they're building near Eastlands? And could they get up the pyramid and end up playing us?

Quite a few big European teams have reserve sides in the national second tiers - barca, Real spring to mind - and I think they do it in Germany with teams like Bayern
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »

Sale are run by a rich backer..........they could not make it pay otherwise. They typically get 7000 at home and carry something like 50 playing and coaching staff let alone the admin side of things. They have several players at any one time receiving private medical treatment for various sports injuries. Their oncosts must be huge.

Salford won't get any pie sales from Sale Sharks ! They need the revenue and the corporate side of things to make things pay, hence any move to Salford must give them benefits over Edgeley Park in terms of hospitality packages......I cannot see a reason why playing in Salford over Stockport would benefit them ?
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

It happens in Spain. Barcelona's 2nd team are in the Second Division at the moment. Mallorca 2nd team play in the 3rd tier of Spanish Football.
They really should be beating teams like us

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »

I'm not a massive rugby fan, so can explain this to me? Do Sale see themselves as representing the entire Manchester area in rugby union? Stockport is a bit of a stretch for a team supposedly representing Sale, Salford likewise. Very odd.

I'd have thought United know they're on to a good thing playing at Moss Lane. It'd be very disappointing to see them leave.

Don't forget the original sale club still exist and play at heywood rd. Sharks seem more of a professional franchise for Manchester.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

With regards to reserve teams playing in lower divisions, European cultures do it because their lower levels aren't quite as strong. It would be disastrous for non league if there were 5 or so Premier league reserve teams in the BSP and 5 Championship clubs playing in the BSN
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

fuertes

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »

With regards to reserve teams playing in lower divisions, European cultures do it because their lower levels aren't quite as strong. It would be disastrous for non league if there were 5 or so Premier league reserve teams in the BSP and 5 Championship clubs playing in the BSN

This is exactly my point.

I know Real Madrid and Barcelona B play in the lower divisions over there, but lower division football is very poorly supported. Our pyramid is like no other. Wrexham took 1,500 fans to Stockport this weekend, for example. 1,500 fans to an away game in the 5th tier. Where else in Europe does that happen?

I don't think any reserve/second team should be allowed to play in anything other than a league specifically for reserves. We'd be the first to complain if the Premier League clubs had fringe outfits in the Conference, so why should we (or Northwich) do it to teams at Step 6 or whatever it is?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

. Our pyramid is like no other. Wrexham took 1,500 fans to Stockport this weekend, for example. 1,500 fans to an away game in the 5th tier. Where else in Europe does that happen?

exactly, the whole argument ( put forward recently by the chelsea manager) is made redundant by the over 36,000 who watched a league 1 game last weekend - with 9,000 watching a beamback
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More on Utd Reserves