PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Scunny Post Match Interview
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scunny Post Match Interview  (Read 3084 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Scunny Post Match Interview
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2022, 05:46:19 PM »

I've got to say, when the transition was announced in May I did envision us signing the likes of Nick Haughton, Danny Elliott, Sam Minihan, Matty Warburton, Kurt Willoughby, Elliot Newby and so on. Those tried and tested full-time footballers in the northwest that have historically been on the circuit at the likes of Chester, York, Halifax. I presumed our aim was to go full-time and start competing with these sorts of clubs for those sorts of players. Players that would improve us and provide stability in our inaugural season.

Regardless of whether we've competed for them and come up short, or simply not had the resources to do so - for me if we're going full-time and not able to attract that calibre of player to the club then the whole model and transition is a massive gamble. There are no two ways about that.

Now, I wasn't expecting a squad of Galacticos and I knew there would have to be an element of Moneyball to make this work, but there's only really Josh Lundstram, James Jones and Ross Barrows who have come in and provided reliable experience at this level or above? Look at what we've lost in the other direction and there's a huge vacuum of experience and leadership. Players like Moult, Hancock, Densmore, Thompson will not have been here on peanuts. Where has that money gone, when you look at this squad now?

We're weaker now than when we had a part-time squad, regardless of the spin that's put on it. The interview lauds the signing of Byrne which does look like a strong one, but we've replaced Densmore with a lad who had nothing to do but Alty TV commentary on Tuesday night. You could argue that we actually attracted better 'full-time' players when we were part-time when you look at the acquisitions of Alistair Smith, Joel Senior, Ryan Colclough, Kyle Ferguson, Dan Mooney, Matty Kosylo... So that draws into question whether our budget is actually worse off now we're having to account for full-time wages across a bigger squad and more backroom staff. It might be naïve of me to make that point.

I've still got faith in the full-time model as it stands, and still generally believe that it was a decision the club (not Parky, as some seem to believe he forced us into this?) had to make. This was not going to be an easy ride, going full-time is not a switch you flick to immediately progress and fly up the table, but I'd be lying if I said our start to the season hasn't introduced some serious doubt about it all. We've replaced Mooney, Hancock and Kosylo's injury with kids on loan and free agents who are probably here to get fit and f**k off.

I predicted 17th and I would be delighted with it based on what I've seen so far, and those who know me will know I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to anything about Alty. It's absolutely vital that we stay up this season and if we do, with this current squad, I think it'll be Phil & Neil's greatest achievement to date. All of the above said, there's still part of me that's expecting to win on Saturday and go on a 10 game unbeaten run. We've always been that sort of side and it really could just be confidence. I just don't know what to think at the moment.

Good post mate.

Another concern and I appreciate we often start slow but we are way off the fitness levels of last season. I commented last season on how good shape the players were in and you could see this as we often ended the game the strongest team.

They had personal training goals away from training PT. Is full time meaning the majority do the same cardio, which may not be correct for them.

I appreciate we need to work on finishing, defending etc but really think we need to concentrate on fitness. You can have all the skill in the world but without fitness your half the player.

From what I have seen the only players at the fitness levels expected are Colclough, Toby and Lundstram. This isn't good enough.

Are we more unfit being full time.....? Our tempo and closing down is way off, compared to last season.

I agree with both of you here, I've been saying fitness was poor for weeks now. I agree we look weaker now fulltime than I envisaged. I do hope we can sort it out. Great posts off both of you.

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Scunny Post Match Interview