Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 People who played for Alty that you never knew played for Alty.....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: People who played for Alty that you never knew played for Alty.....  (Read 4239 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: People who played for Alty that you never knew played for Alty.....
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »

Does anybody have details of Barry Woods Alty career?

York Alty,

As requested.....

Barry Wood played for Altrincham Reserves in the Manchester League during the 1968/69 season.

He made his debut for Alty's first team in a 2-0 defeat at Runcorn in the North West Floodlit League on Monday, 14th October 1968.

According to a subsequent issue of the Robins Review:

He wore the No. 8 shirt, played midfield and later switched to full back in an injury reshuffle.
Verdict from manager Freddie Pye: "I was satisfied."

As far as I can trace, his only other appearance for the Robins was as a used substitute in a 2-2 draw versus Hyde United in a North West Floodlit League fixture at Moss Lane on Monday, 21st October 1968.

For taxi phil:

Inbetween those two NWFL games, Alty lost 2-1 in an away game in the Northern Premier League at Worksop Town....but I don't think that Barry Wood played in that one.
Anyone else know different?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »

Didn't Ernie Taylor turn out for us in the early 60's ? He'd been a classy inside forward, and had the distinction of having appeared in the FA Cup Final  for three different teams (Newcastle, Blackpool, and Man.U.). Unfortunately he was past his sell by date when he reached Moss Lane.

Mickey Walker, a decent inside forward some years later, recently had a spell as caretaker manager at Doncaster Rovers.

I'm fairly sure that was a different Mickey Walker (unless we've had more than one playing for us - the one I'm thinking of played in the early 70's).
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »

Apparently a teacher at my school (John Cutting) started a few alty games when he was younger, though it may just be a rumour. Anyone know if that's true?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »

FAO Cult - do I remember watching Trevor Ross playing for Altrincham under Tommy Docherty? Seem to remember him banging one in from 30 yards at the Golf Road End. Played for England, I think?

jimmyhank,

Your memory is not playing tricks!

Trevor Ross did indeed make six appearances for Alty during the 1987/88 season.

Tommy Docherty signed him in December 1987 and he made his debut in a 3-1 home defeat against Macc on Boxing Day 1987 (this is the match when Paul Cuddy came on as a substitute and scored his only goal for the Robins with a 30 yard shot!).

Ross played for England schoolboys and Scotland Under-21s.

His goal that you refer to was indeed a long range shot that occurred in the 94th minute of an FA Trophy Second Round tie against Kettering Town at Moss Lane on Tuesday, 26th January 1988, thereby enabling the Robins to scrape a 1-1 draw.

By the time the replay came around, Docherty had been replaced by Jeff Johnson and Alty went on to win 3-2.

Tommy Docherty was relieved of his duties on the morning of that replay.
We were so poor in that first game.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 People who played for Alty that you never knew played for Alty.....