News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The situation as I see it

Author Topic: The situation as I see it  (Read 3529 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »

It's a horrible one, that's for sure. It's at times like these that I do not envy football club chairmen/directors one bit.

My sense is that GH would be happy to leave now but probably wants a pay-off. But in the meantime, we have a manager who no longer really wants to manage and that's no good to anyone.

I think the board does not feel we can afford to give him a pay-off but equally does not have the stomach to sack him.

So what to do? My feeling is that for a club with our financial restraints to offer a manager, however great his record of service, a pay-off would be absurd and not in our best interests. Therefore, and I say this with a heavy heart, I believe it falls to the board to put their duty to the club ahead of their loyalty to their friend.

This may have further implications for the club at board level. So be it. The alternatives - sticking with a manager who's lost his appetite for the job or hamstringing the next manager by giving the present one a pay-off - are just not acceptable.

AltyIan

Re: The situation as I see it
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

Well if Graham does ask for a pay off he surely does not love the club as much as he boasts does he?

bigcol

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »

Also, if attendances drop, then that's another thing to factor into the financial equation.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »

GH has done so much for this club he deserves to be the one to decide when its time for him to go.
He should not be sacked.
He has done his best with what little financial help is available.
I also think there is more competiton in the area for Conference standard players when they become available and will be more competitive next season when Macc and Stockport are relegated.
We keep forgetting that what has not changed is that we are the top part-time club in the country. What has changed is that the Conference is no longer a part-time league.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »

GH has done so much for this club he deserves to be the one to decide when its time for him to go.

I've read it all now. Managers decide when they should leave ??? ... See you in 2025 when we can talk NW Counties football and the retirement of GH (maybe).

joe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »

He should not be sacked.
I also think there is more competiton in the area for Conference standard players when they become available and will be more competitive next season when Macc and Stockport are relegated.
We keep forgetting that what has not changed is that we are the top part-time club in the country. What has changed is that the Conference is no longer a part-time league.

So we have to stick with him whatever happens? Thats like me saying i've emtied 329,000 bins since i've been at this company so you can't sack me!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »

you are un(black)SACKable, esp now there are wheelie bins :)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »

He should not be sacked.

I think he's decided in his own mind that now is the time to go. The problem is he's not going.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »

GH has done so much for this club he deserves to be the one to decide when its time for him to go.- PAST DOES NOT EQUAL FUTURE
He should not be sacked. - ?????
He has done his best with what little financial help is available.- IS HIS BEST BETTER THAN SOMEONE ELSE GIVEN THE CHANCE, OR INFACT GOOD ENOUGH ?

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »

Well he is in a job where being rubbish is possibly an asset !

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »

It's a horrible one, that's for sure. It's at times like these that I do not envy football club chairmen/directors one bit.

My sense is that GH would be happy to leave now but probably wants a pay-off. But in the meantime, we have a manager who no longer really wants to manage and that's no good to anyone.

I think the board does not feel we can afford to give him a pay-off but equally does not have the stomach to sack him.

So what to do? My feeling is that for a club with our financial restraints to offer a manager, however great his record of service, a pay-off would be absurd and not in our best interests. Therefore, and I say this with a heavy heart, I believe it falls to the board to put their duty to the club ahead of their loyalty to their friend.

This may have further implications for the club at board level. So be it. The alternatives - sticking with a manager who's lost his appetite for the job or hamstringing the next manager by giving the present one a pay-off - are just not acceptable.

Leon, absolutely spot on. The time has come for the Board to bite the bullet and sack Graham Heathcote. Our league form going way back to last season has been appalling for far too long. I shall be at Eastbourne next Saturday whatever happens this week but ultimately the buck stops with the manager and the current performances are just not good enough.

Jezza

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 10:07:02 PM »

This is not just a footballing decision, it's about the whole make up of the club and of difficult decisions that I can't see being made....Graham (I think) wont resign, the board wont sack him because of friendship and each is almost the others raison d'etre.....

I simply cannot see a resolution to this unless a new board is suddenly put in place and it will be a very sad day for all when Goodwin and co cease involvement.....

I just keep hoping the 'cote and the players will just suddenly turn it round with a run of performances that see us shoot steadily up the table by xmas.....and we all live happily ever after.

But the day does have to come when the 'cote and the board hang up their....well whatever they hang up......it'd be even sadder though if the day was delayed so long things turned sour.

I trust the board and the 'cote will take note of all comments and the intentions behind them and not just take umbridge at some of the worse criticisms.......I hate it when the majority of fans spend all season praising the board and then the board get all upset at a few comments said in the heat of a moment and we are all labelled moaners and ps2 football managers....really pi$$es me off that does.

This is though about the football club...we have always said we as fans will be around long after the current hierachy has long departed....and i agree with the many comments that there would be a long list of impressive applicants for the manager's job at Alty.

I still think the 'cote should be able to turn it round...but he should do it in the next few winnable games....if he can't then we are in big trouble relegation wise.....and what's the rest of the season gonna be like if we limp toward relegation a la Northwich's record?

Dougals Dad

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »

Well he is in a job where being rubbish is possibly an asset !

Bin there, done that!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team