PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD  (Read 20908 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »

Fans often get criticised for overreacting to a defeat but I may be about to overreact to a draw here... nevertheless, I think yesterday's was exactly the kind of game that a successful football team would find a way to win. We can offer any number of excuses but that was two points dropped and for me, you couldn't get a better illustration of what differentiates the top teams from the 6th/7th/8th ones than that.

This is a pretty talented Altrincham squad but I just don't feel there's that streak of steel within them, the win-at-all-costs mentality, that we will need to get promotion. And I do feel that's down to the manager.

Hear what you're saying but I still believe that the main reason we didn't win yesterday was poor defending down the left and simple bad luck.  I've been to Alty away games where we have created little and not looked like we would score even against ten men.  

After going 2 - 1 down we keep on moving forward  and it was posts, bars, a wonderful save from the keeper and rogers thunderbolt hitting a defender in the face that meant we didn't turn one point into three.  I wouldn't call these excuses, on another day (Gainsborough?) they are goals.

Don't remember Stuart having a save to make and the centre halves dealt with most things well.

Whether you like the manager or you don't, I'm not sure that he could have done much differently yesterday.

And with Duncan Watmore we would have won in my opinion.

We wanted three points but we got one. Disappointing yes but 4 away points in a week is no disaster.

We need to keep the run going against BPA now.

I agree with pretty much all of that.

It's odd, sometimes a defeat or a disappointing draw doesn't affect you that much and you just shrug it off and then sometimes it really hits home for some reason. It was my first game of the season, so I probably am reading too much into it, but for me yesterday was one of those games that doesn't seem like a big deal but actually was symptomatic of a deep-seated problem.

There wasn't much that LS could have done differently yesterday but what he hasn't done during his entire time at the club is instil the ability to defend properly for an entire game. So many of the goals we concede come from lapses in concentration - we've always got a mad two minutes in us. Cult mentioned that stat about us never having kept a clean sheet away from Moss Lane under LS, which I think is so familiar now we've almost got to the point of accepting it. But it's dreadful and it doesn't look like changing.

I like Sinnott on the whole. I like the football we play under him and the way he conducts himself. I just don't feel in my bones that he'll ever bring us success. Really hope I'm wrong about that.

markecky

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »

Fans often get criticised for overreacting to a defeat but I may be about to overreact to a draw here... nevertheless, I think yesterday's was exactly the kind of game that a successful football team would find a way to win. We can offer any number of excuses but that was two points dropped and for me, you couldn't get a better illustration of what differentiates the top teams from the 6th/7th/8th ones than that.

This is a pretty talented Altrincham squad but I just don't feel there's that streak of steel within them, the win-at-all-costs mentality, that we will need to get promotion. And I do feel that's down to the manager.

Hear what you're saying but I still believe that the main reason we didn't win yesterday was poor defending down the left and simple bad luck.  I've been to Alty away games where we have created little and not looked like we would score even against ten men.  

After going 2 - 1 down we keep on moving forward  and it was posts, bars, a wonderful save from the keeper and rogers thunderbolt hitting a defender in the face that meant we didn't turn one point into three.  I wouldn't call these excuses, on another day (Gainsborough?) they are goals.

Don't remember Stuart having a save to make and the centre halves dealt with most things well.

Whether you like the manager or you don't, I'm not sure that he could have done much differently yesterday.

We wanted three points but we got one. Disappointing yes but 4 away points in a week is no disaster.

I agree with pretty much all of that.

It's odd, sometimes a defeat or a disappointing draw doesn't affect you that much and you just shrug it off and then sometimes it really hits home for some reason. It was my first game of the season, so I probably am reading too much into it, but for me yesterday was one of those games that doesn't seem like a big deal but actually was symptomatic of a deep-seated problem.

There wasn't much that LS could have done differently yesterday but what he hasn't done during his entire time at the club is instil the ability to defend properly for an entire game. So many of the goals we concede come from lapses in concentration - we've always got a mad two minutes in us. Cult mentioned that stat about us never having kept a clean sheet away from Moss Lane under LS, which I think is so familiar now we've almost got to the point of accepting it. But it's dreadful and it doesn't look like changing.

I like Sinnott on the whole. I like the football we play under him and the way he conducts himself. I just don't feel in my bones that he'll ever bring us success. Really hope I'm wrong about that.

I'm right on the middle ground when it comes to the manager but I do feel he is held personally responsible for if a player doesn't close down, or trackback and a goal comes from it then its fault with some people.  I've never really seen this with other managers before or at other clubs.

Full time Stalybridge threw away a 2 goal lead away from home to lose 4-3 yesterday.  I've just looked at their forum and no one seems to blame Jim Harvey.

Anyway I'm falling into the trap of treating the views of a few as everyones.  This forum is made up of 30 regular posters and we have 600 fans.

We will have more ups and downs to come yet, lets hope the ups outweigh the downs and we can stick together and get behind the team to play our part.

Jimmy

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »

Knowing a bridge fan they seem to be happy just watching the young players rather than the hunger our fans have to go up so im not surprised Harvey didn't get heckled in my opinion I would've been fed up with Harvey not getting a very good side promoted

JDN

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »

Well if Stalybridge fans are satisfied then maybe we should be satisfied?

Stalybridge the benchmark for Altrincham

Maybe I and some others have been expecting to much

Midtable in the BSN is good, and a draw at Oxford City is not a bad result (they are above us after all)

markecky

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »

Well if Stalybridge fans are satisfied then maybe we should be satisfied?

Stalybridge the benchmark for Altrincham

Maybe I and some others have been expecting to much

Midtable in the BSN is good, and a draw at Oxford City is not a bad result (they are above us after all)

I think you know that's not the point I'm making.

I want to be in the playoffs this year.  Midtable isn't good at all.

I'm making the point that every miskick is the managers fault in some people eyes. 

JDN

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »

The earlier poster on here (JDN) sounds like a man with some serious issues unless he is just on a windup, such hatred towards a football manager is odd and then he said someone had no credibility when he was basically swearing to get his point over.

Like most others on here who get abusive, post extreme views or over-react when not necessary, he is another that hides behind a psuedonym
JDN is not a psuedonym

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

Leon has already summed it up really well there for me. That was a game we really should have won. On such a hot day having an extra man for an hour really should have tipped the scales in our favour but for the umpteenth time we shoot ourselves in the foot at the back again. Sure 7/9 represents a good week but we should be sat here with 9/9. We just don't seem to have the mentality to close games out and get the job done like a real top team would.

On a separate note, top day out drinking pints of Oxford Gold on the terraces in glorious sunshine, decent set up at Oxford City but they'll struggle to survive at our level on that support, there can't have been more than 150 home fans in the ground. Oxford United at home on the same day can't help though

JDN

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

At last some sense!

markecky

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »

At last some sense!

So you are dismissing everyone who has a different opinion to you as having no sense?

taxi Phil

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »

On a separate note, top day out drinking pints of Oxford Gold on the terraces in glorious sunshine, decent set up at Oxford City but they'll struggle to survive at our level on that support, there can't have been more than 150 home fans in the ground. Oxford United at home on the same day can't help though
Nice friendly club almost certainly living within their limited means. I wish them well.

And the Oxford Gold was bob on....as was the locally sourced sausage barm cake  ;)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »

I think that if we play the strarting 11 that we did against Gainsborough in a 442 we won't be far off. Trouble being that when 1 of the 11 doesn't start we're nothing like.

Keeping every one fit and not suspened is impossible.
Full time and proud of it

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

Only seen the home games so far this season so not as best placed to comment as others however if we continue as we have started so far again this season as in the last we are going to be one of the highest scorers in the leauge the worry is we will pretty much leak as many as we score again

Hopefully we wont and we will improve in defending for 90 minutes

Up the reds!
ParkINson's red and white army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »

Ecky,

However, you could argue that what he should have done differently during the close season is to have signed a better left full back though.

Mind you, filling that particular position, above all, seems to have been a recurring problem since our promotion in 2005.

With the exception of Matt Doughty's first spell with the club and the odd loanee such as James Jennings, quality left full backs at Moss Lane have been scarce in recent times.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »

Ecky,

However, you could argue that what he should have done differently during the close season is to have signed a better left full back though.

Mind you, filling that particular position, above all, seems to have been a recurring problem since our promotion in 2005.

With the exception of Matt Doughty's first spell with the club and the odd loanee such as James Jennings, quality left full backs at Moss Lane have been scarce in recent times.

Quite agree.  He has put his faith in Matt Doughty who is a committed and honest player but I do fear will be left badly exposed if someone has a pacey right winger.

Sad to say as I like Buzz but he is better coming forward than going back and that's not really what you want.

fuertes

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »

Generally speaking I agree, but Matt Doughty is okay. He made one or two good interceptions and going forward he showed he's still a decent crosser. And he drove into the area and had a good shot at the near post second half.

I suppose what I'm saying is that he's not ideal, but he's passable. He's a midtable standard BSN full-back. So let's just accept that's what we've got and get on with it. And give him plenty of support from the stands.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD