PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD  (Read 20920 times)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »

sad though it is looks to me that Brackley and Chester are too strong for us and we won't beat both to the league title.  That being said we can make the playoffs easily as there is nothing between the rest in my opinion.  Our problem is that pre season seems to have been wasted as the team looks to only now be gelling.  The reeves unsettlement and the disappearing mcgivern along with signing two striker that at my kindest "need a bit of confidence" have taken the sting out of our start.  Isn't it interesting that the top two had fantastic seasons last year as well and are full of confidence.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jimmy

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2012, 09:20:42 AM »

Dissapointed seems every time we look like were a decent side we take a step back

PeterJ

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2012, 09:31:17 AM »

Regular forum reader but not posted before. Last game I got to was Solihull in September last year! So don't tell me there was no improvement. Enjoyed yesterday, thought we were unlucky not to win it when we hit the bar and post and that guy cleared off the line. The earlier poster on here (JDN) sounds like a man with some serious issues unless he is just on a windup, such hatred towards a football manager is odd and then he said someone had no credibility when he was basically swearing to get his point over. If you win your home games and draw your aways you won't be far off going places.

Hoping to get back for BPA and see if we can break into that top five

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »

Exercise is bad for you - well established fact known to all people over 30!
I did my last marathon in Dublin October 2001 and was aged 49.
A point we would have settled for before the game,but in the end i felt a bit deflated at the final whistle,sounded a good game on RR.
Hope JL enjoyed his fried egg he cooked at half time on the walls of the stand and hope all our injured players are ok
Harold

Jimmy

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »

Regular forum reader but not posted before. Last game I got to was Solihull in September last year! So don't tell me there was no improvement. Enjoyed yesterday, thought we were unlucky not to win it when we hit the bar and post and that guy cleared off the line. The earlier poster on here (JDN) sounds like a man with some serious issues unless he is just on a windup, such hatred towards a football manager is odd and then he said someone had no credibility when he was basically swearing to get his point over. If you win your home games and draw your aways you won't be far off going places.

However last year we won at Halifax to me it's been inconsistent this season like last the table shows little improvement

taxi Phil

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

However last year we won at Halifax to me it's been inconsistent this season like last the table shows little improvement
I think it's an improvement on last season. We've played seven matches. The three wins include victories on two grounds where we lost last season. The drawn game was disappointing but not exactly a disaster. The defeats ? Two of them to the only two sides to have 100% records after seven games. Vauxhall Motors ? Always a bogey ground where we SHOULD always get a result but contrive not to !

Yes there are still problems to be ironed out. As I already noted, left back is, yet again, our Achilles' Heel. Midfield creativity is in the hands of a loan player. We're thin on the ground if injury and suspension problems start to bite.

But I see no reason why we can't make the play-offs - and don't forget this squad is the possibly the youngest we've ever had, so there's scope for them to push on.

Glass three quarters full......................

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

I was disappointed last night, but having had time to think, things are definitely looking up.
We are playing better every game, if we had have had a full strength team we would have won yesterday ( and at Vauxhall, but that wasn't through injuries!).
Look very good for the playoffs and every home game I believe we are capable of scoring four or five without breaking sweat. There can't be a team providing better entertainment than us in the country, though whether this suits Lee or not is another matter!

Jimmy

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »

I got in ten minutes late so missed a little but Oxford were poor with eleven men to not win against ten poor players in the heat is disappointing to say the least

jacksparrow

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

4 points from 2 away games is a good return in anyones book , what is baffling is that i don"t have a clue of what our style of play is ,does anybody know? after only 7 games we play like Kevin Keegans Newcastle , great when its going well , crap when not ! at least not knowing adds to the matchday experience !!!

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »

Fans often get criticised for overreacting to a defeat but I may be about to overreact to a draw here... nevertheless, I think yesterday's was exactly the kind of game that a successful football team would find a way to win. We can offer any number of excuses but that was two points dropped and for me, you couldn't get a better illustration of what differentiates the top teams from the 6th/7th/8th ones than that.

This is a pretty talented Altrincham squad but I just don't feel there's that streak of steel within them, the win-at-all-costs mentality, that we will need to get promotion. And I do feel that's down to the manager.

Jimmy

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »

Quality post leon

Jimmy

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »

4 points from 2 away games is a good return in anyones book , what is baffling is that i don"t have a clue of what our style of play is ,does anybody know? after only 7 games we play like Kevin Keegans Newcastle , great when its going well , crap when not ! at least not knowing adds to the matchday experience !!!

Our style of play is four four two a style that is good on the eye but makes you light in midfield but can we or lee play another way I'm not sure at the higher level of the game it's outdated

markecky

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

Fans often get criticised for overreacting to a defeat but I may be about to overreact to a draw here... nevertheless, I think yesterday's was exactly the kind of game that a successful football team would find a way to win. We can offer any number of excuses but that was two points dropped and for me, you couldn't get a better illustration of what differentiates the top teams from the 6th/7th/8th ones than that.

This is a pretty talented Altrincham squad but I just don't feel there's that streak of steel within them, the win-at-all-costs mentality, that we will need to get promotion. And I do feel that's down to the manager.

Hear what you're saying but I still believe that the main reason we didn't win yesterday was poor defending down the left and simple bad luck.  I've been to Alty away games where we have created little and not looked like we would score even against ten men.  

After going 2 - 1 down we keep on moving forward  and it was posts, bars, a wonderful save from the keeper and rogers thunderbolt hitting a defender in the face that meant we didn't turn one point into three.  I wouldn't call these excuses, on another day (Gainsborough?) they are goals.

Don't remember Stuart having a save to make and the centre halves dealt with most things well.

Whether you like the manager or you don't, I'm not sure that he could have done much differently yesterday.

And with Duncan Watmore we would have won in my opinion.

We wanted three points but we got one. Disappointing yes but 4 away points in a week is no disaster.

We need to keep the run going against BPA now.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »

The earlier poster on here (JDN) sounds like a man with some serious issues unless he is just on a windup, such hatred towards a football manager is odd and then he said someone had no credibility when he was basically swearing to get his point over.

Like most others on here who get abusive, post extreme views or over-react when not necessary, he is another that hides behind a psuedonym
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »

If we actually look closely at our form so far and the teams we've played it doesn't make too bad a reading at all.
Bar our seemingly new bogey team, Vauxhall we've only lost to the teams in 1st and 2nd whilst beating most mid-table sides and Harrogate who are now in 6th. The league table from the main site shows it quite well: http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/table12.htm
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford v Alty MATCHDAY THREAD