News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Luton losing TV money

Author Topic: Luton losing TV money  (Read 2267 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Luton losing TV money
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »

From the BBC.

Luton want TV contingency plans 

Luton managing director Gary Sweet wants to see contingency plans brought in to protect clubs in broadcast deals.

Blue Square Premier clubs are still waiting to hear the fate of Setanta, who cover the league's matches.

The Irish broadcaster has stopped taking on new customers as it "attempts to secure the future of the business".

Sweet told BBC Three Counties Radio: "I'm disappointed no contingencies have been made with so much money around in the game."

And he fears the club could lose up to £120,000 in lost television revenue.

"Clearly as a high profile club in the conference this season we were hoping to be shown quite a few times," he said. "Burton were shown six times this season, which probably took them up to about £110,000 to £120,000.

I do think that further contingency should be made in case of this sort of event

Gary Sweet
"I think if you run your business properly, then that £70,000 to £80,000 [from television coverage] has probably already been spent because clearly if you want to buy a player you want to get in ahead of your competition and you need to make other plans.

"Contracts for the season need to be signed up during the summer, so pretty much every football club would have spent that £70,000 so now for us it is about how we create initiatives to recover that money if, of course, Setanta do go bust, or if they don't get bought out by somebody else.

The clubs are waiting to find out what will happen, with the Irish broadcaster's future very much in the balance.

Sweet explained: "We have got the Conference AGM this weekend, which we are attending, which could shed a little bit of light on the current situation.

"At the end of the day £70,000-£120,000 is a lot of money to Luton Town FC. It isn't so critical that it could put us on the brink, of course, it's not like ITV Digital a few years ago.

"But certainly for a number of clubs in the Conference it could be a problem. It could give Luton a little bit of a competitive advantage because we are more stable than most others.

"I do think that further contingency plans should be made in case of this sort of event, especially with the experience of ITV Digital, which literally did put a number of clubs into administration."

I am sure you will have all found this hilarious.
Who was it that turned down £37,500 last season because the game was on a Thursday night and now they reckon they could lose £70,000 of TV money when most of these game are played on a Thursday night!!!!
I hope they get a reality shock like Oxford and Wrexham did and that they struggle in the conference - IF they dont go bust first.

Aussie Bob

Re: Luton losing TV money
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

"At the end of the day £70,000-£120,000 is a lot of money to Luton Town FC. It isn't so critical that it could put us on the brink, of course, it's not like ITV Digital a few years ago.

"But certainly for a number of clubs in the Conference it could be a problem. It could give Luton a little bit of a competitive advantage because we are more stable than most others.

Really ? not been in admin or anything lately ?......

I really wonder about the CVA/ Admin process where they can suddenly be broke and then a year later they are stable can turn down 37k  in tv rights for one game and spend a shedload on new players ? And they are now stable ?

The taxman should let a couple of clubs go to the wall if they dont agree to repay 100% of their liabilities , i know they are supposed to get as much money back as possible but as a deterrent i think  would work wonders...

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »

I would totally agree but lets just see how setanta will leave us financialy first
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Aussie Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:42:25 AM »

The only thing if Setanta does go down the gurgler it will impact all Conference clubs not just Alty....i am not sure how the missing 80K could be made up if it has been factored into this years budget ? . Even if Setanta is saved i would imagine they would look to keep the more high profile deals they have so not sure if they will retain the Conference football anyway...

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »

I really can't understand how luton got themselves into financial problems when they have such astute business management.

What a complete and utter cock.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »

I believe it's not (quite) as bad with Blue Square giving 15K and Setanta 70K ... but it's still going to be a bit of a bodyblow if it happens.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

Last season Luton had the 2nd highest average attendance in Div2 - and they're still skint!

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »

They lose £120k HAHAHAHAHA.

Now they know what it is like to lose TV money.

No sympathy with them after what they did to us last year. Now the boot is on the other foot.

They didnt have that money last year, so in reality we will lose out more than luton.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:31:09 PM by Jenga »

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »

The taxman should let a couple of clubs go to the wall .....

Is it the taxman? I though the Inland Revenue were the ones who always demanded their full payment. I think it's the other people who are owed money who are persuaded by the Administrator or whoever to take part of what they are owed to allow the CVA agreement to be signed. I assume they think anything is better than nothing and who can blame them.
I think it's the football authorities who need to be stronger.
I'd like to see a transfer cap were put in place based on the debt / banked (not potential) revenue of clubs ie clubs could only make transfers based on what they can prove they can afford - not gamble on potential increased or saved revenue if the players involved get them promoted / keep them up.
Football needs some financial reality.

Get rid of the idiots who think they can buy success by borrowing money because ManU , Liverpool and whoever else do. It's like trying to run a corner shop using Tesco's business strategy. 
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Luton losing TV money