PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Setanta on brink of collapse
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setanta on brink of collapse  (Read 3352 times)

baldrick

« on: June 08, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »

They have to find £35million by June 15th or the grim reaper will be paying a visit.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Setanta on brink of collapse
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

I have read that all the BSP clubs recieve around £85000 per year from Blue Square and Setanta. What proportion of this is from the latter and, therefore, how much are we likely to face losing if they go to the wall?

If they only pay out for the matches they screen for example then we'll hardly miss it but I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

Anyone know more?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »

we do get extra for each match screened but also a standard fee for the season, not good news
Bernard Taylors barmy army

markecky

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:35:27 PM »

Its not really being talked about but is is very very bad news for all Conference clubs.

I too have heard that the minimum clubs like us get is £80,000.

Last season the Conference board decided to try and make the money fairer for the clubs not on it as much.  So they reduced the fee for being on and put a larger amount into a pool to be split at the end of the season.   The big boys of course get the £80k plus their appearance money.

I don't know our wage but say it was 6k a week...its over three months worth of wages to us.

The conference aren't  getting a mention on this in the press as we are only "small" in comparison to the Premier league and the SPL but the effects could be massive.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »

If we're getting 80K overall, surely there must be some of this coming from Blue Square for sponsorship?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

markecky

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »

If we're getting 80K overall, surely there must be some of this coming from Blue Square for sponsorship?

No, 99% the two are seperate.

Narcissist

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:16:40 PM »

Channel 5 should be lining this up. No live league football on any of the freeview channels. Setanta had some good ideas to make it interesting with changing room cams and mid-half interviews. The viewing figures would be alright if it was marketed properly.

The only problem now is that if setanta pull out its value will be very little and i doubt we'll see 80k a year again in tv money at this level. But anything is better than nothing.

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »

The consensus from the bigger clubs seems to be "not bothered". I think they go by the logic that a biggish club being on TV will reduce the away following significantly. So, if Oxford play Cambridge away and would normally take 750, but because it's on TV only take 200, then 550 people x £20 = £11,000. TV, therefore, increases exposure but doesn't actually make them much money.

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as that, but I think they're right in as much as this would hit the smaller clubs hardest. In fact, I think the likes of Ebbsfleet and Salisbury might be right up sh*t Creek if TV money dries up.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:41:45 PM »

The consensus from the bigger clubs seems to be "not bothered". I think they go by the logic that a biggish club being on TV will reduce the away following significantly. So, if Oxford play Cambridge away and would normally take 750, but because it's on TV only take 200, then 550 people x £20 = £11,000. TV, therefore, increases exposure but doesn't actually make them much money.

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as that, but I think they're right in as much as this would hit the smaller clubs hardest. In fact, I think the likes of Ebbsfleet and Salisbury might be right up sh*t Creek if TV money dries up.

What about the likes of Altrincham!?

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »

too right.  That is a major part of our income.  That leaves a large hole in any clubs accounts.  It means we have to do 80k worth of trade to stand still. 

A big blow, and it will hurt.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

I was under the assumption we didn't 'budget' for money that wasn't guaranteed. For instance some BSP clubs budget for getting to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and semi finals of the trophy.

I can't see the board having budgeted for the setanta money, therefore its no loss to me, you can't lose what you never had. What it does mean though is that we COULD have lost some appearance money that'd helped a great lot.

markecky

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »

I was under the assumption we didn't 'budget' for money that wasn't guaranteed. For instance some BSP clubs budget for getting to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and semi finals of the trophy.

I can't see the board having budgeted for the setanta money, therefore its no loss to me, you can't lose what you never had. What it does mean though is that we COULD have lost some appearance money that'd helped a great lot.

I'd love to say you're right but its not true.

To maintain the same level as last year we would need that £80,000 and thats nothing to do with budgets

fuertes

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »

What about the likes of Altrincham!?

It'll hurt us, but I don't think it will drive us out of existence. Those two were touch-and-go about being able to see out the season anyway. I'd have thought they're absolutely f**ked now.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jenga

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 08:56:09 AM »

We have seen our team improve over the last two years, I am sure there is no coincidence that we have received money from Setanta each of these two years.

The big question now is where is ELAM going to go to get his big pay cheque.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team