PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Graham Heathcote  (Read 6554 times)

Longman

Re: Graham Heathcote
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »

Of the loan players who came to Alty, it's clear that Shotton, Jennings and King were the real assets.

Cahill seemed to be mysteriously underused, to my mind.    

Turnbull was OK but I have to confess that Tansey proved to be a bit of a disappointment, particularly after the promising build-up he received.

Lynch didn't impress me that much, to be honest, and James Dean scored a wonder goal but then never looked interested again.

I would let Toulson return to Halifax.

Poor old Russell Saunders looked fine between the sticks until that unfortunate injury on his debut.
However, I did notice that he was playing on loan at Gainsborough Trinity the other week, so he appears to have recovered.

What about Greg Young Cult? I'll go on record as saying I think he's as fine and commanding a centre back as we've had since Paul Ellender in his prime. An absolute class act in my mind.

Greg Young is a permanent signing, he's not on loan.

Which is nice.

louise1925

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 10:26:23 PM »

Given the hefty proportion of loan players at our club lately, how many players will we have now all these have left? And of these, how many are good enough to keep? A new manager would have one hell of a job on his hands. I'm struggling to find 11 players to keep!

Longman

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »

Given the hefty proportion of loan players at our club lately, how many players will we have now all these have left? And of these, how many are good enough to keep? A new manager would have one hell of a job on his hands. I'm struggling to find 11 players to keep!

Definately keep ;-

Coburn
Young
Lane
Tinson (?)
Lawton
Owen
Little
Senior

I agree though, we are going to have to build a squad again!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »

you have been relegated 3 times now and still stick with the same manager why i ask ???

Matty, this is potential quite interesting.

1. Are you just fishing / taking the piss a bit? or

2. It's sometimes hard to see beyond our own bubble but from an outsiders perspective (albeit as you're a vics fan on here I reckon you've got a bit of an idea about GH/Alty etc) is it a strange sort of situation? What's the general feeling?

3. At the risk of all hell breaking lose what would your advice be?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:51:52 PM by Ballers »

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 12:15:59 AM »

Definately keep ;-

Coburn
Young
Lane
Tinson (?)
Lawton
Owen
Little
Senior

I'd be inclined toward keeping

Coburn - Exceptional Keeper
Lane - Brilliant signing yet mysteriously underutilised (anyone know why?) Sadly, I suspect he may well get a better offer
Young - Proper Centre Back
Lawton - Huge energy levels and totally committed
Peyton - ditto
Little - scores goals (and we need that)
Senior - bloody nuisance for opposition defenders (again, suspect he may well get a better offer)
Roca - Will be useful at a lower level and tbh we haven't seen enough to write him off as superfluous to our needs
Scotty - 1000% committed (and, without the injuries he's had over the past couple of years very useful as a player too)

That means we're 2 players short of even a startin 11 but I'm sure someone will surface.

As for the rest..

Tinson - Sorry to labour a point, had we signed him 5 years ago - brilliant, this season too old, too slow, probably, on reflection wishes he'd retired in May 2007

Owen - superb servant but sadly injuries have now got the better of him

Asa - Not sure about him tbh, maybe worth a squad place

Sedge - Feel REALLY sorry for him. Our system never suited him and he's become something of a scapegoat for our failings. Even if we wanted to keep him he'd probably make a very improper and anatomically impossible solution and who'd blame him.

The key thing for the future of the Club (whoever the manager might be) is to resurrect the Reserves so that the highly promising players George brings through the Youth team aren't all seen playing for some bugger else in the NLP match reports

Reading Robin

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:46:13 AM »

I'd keep O'Neill and Battersby along with those mentioned.  I've read the arguments that some players aren't capable, but i don't see where we are going to get 10 players better than those we have.  If we survive then i'd expect 4 or 5 signings plus a greater emphasis on loan players from the start.  If we go down then loan players may be harder to attract.

louise1925

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 07:57:41 AM »

I'd keep;
Coburn, Acton, Battersby, Scott, Peyton, Lane, Young, Tinson,
Lawton, Roca, Toulson (keep him on), Senior, O'Neil, Little
I'd release;
Aspinall, Owen, Sedgemore, McFadden

There's not a great deal wrong with our existing squad to be honest. A couple of decent loan players to replace the released ones should be okay for BSN. A central midfielder and a striker - the Rotherham pair perhaps?

Narcissist

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »

Definately keep ;-

Coburn
Young
Lane
Tinson (?)
Lawton
Owen
Little
Senior

I'd be inclined toward keeping

Coburn - Exceptional Keeper
Lane - Brilliant signing yet mysteriously underutilised (anyone know why?) Sadly, I suspect he may well get a better offer
Young - Proper Centre Back
Lawton - Huge energy levels and totally committed
Peyton - ditto
Little - scores goals (and we need that)
Senior - bloody nuisance for opposition defenders (again, suspect he may well get a better offer)
Roca - Will be useful at a lower level and tbh we haven't seen enough to write him off as superfluous to our needs
Scotty - 1000% committed (and, without the injuries he's had over the past couple of years very useful as a player too)

That means we're 2 players short of even a startin 11 but I'm sure someone will surface.

As for the rest..

Tinson - Sorry to labour a point, had we signed him 5 years ago - brilliant, this season too old, too slow, probably, on reflection wishes he'd retired in May 2007

Owen - superb servant but sadly injuries have now got the better of him

Asa - Not sure about him tbh, maybe worth a squad place

Sedge - Feel REALLY sorry for him. Our system never suited him and he's become something of a scapegoat for our failings. Even if we wanted to keep him he'd probably make a very improper and anatomically impossible solution and who'd blame him.

The key thing for the future of the Club (whoever the manager might be) is to resurrect the Reserves so that the highly promising players George brings through the Youth team aren't all seen playing for some bugger else in the NLP match reports

I agree here, but if we're in BSN then I would also keep Sedge and Owen. At that level I think they could be quite good in the middle. I'd like to think we'll try to keep the ball on the ground a bit more in the BSN and try to outclass teams. Our players have gained vast experience this season and certainly know how to get the swords out and battle hard. They have also learned a lot about playing football and we should retain this experience.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »

I'd keep O'Neill and Battersby along with those mentioned.  I've read the arguments that some players aren't capable, but i don't see where we are going to get 10 players better than those we have.  If we survive then i'd expect 4 or 5 signings plus a greater emphasis on loan players from the start.  If we go down then loan players may be harder to attract.

If Ken McKenna has been scouting for us we may have an influx of the Welsh!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 11:30:48 AM »

Only if they've got scouse accents!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

Only if they've got scouse accents!

From Flint then!

bigcol

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 02:25:19 PM »

It's not as daft as it sounds.  Parts of Wales are close to Alty (certainly as close as places like Crewe) and it may appeal to some of them if Ken has the right players in mind.

Longman

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

How long has Mckenna been scouting for us?
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote