PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Graham Heathcote  (Read 6548 times)

matnvfcmad

Graham Heathcote
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »

you have been relegated 3 times now and still stick with the same manager why i ask ???

le bignose

Re: Graham Heathcote
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

you have been relegated 3 times now and still stick with the same manager why i ask ???

I thnk its being asked by all mate. And we'll find out if its being asked by the board and GH himself come the forthcoming meeting ...... watch this space

I could go on about this debate but most has already been said. We have tried to have some sort of stability, and not just about results on the pitch, but results off the pitch, which GH knows better than anyone!! He understands this club, the roots, what it takes to run the club, the finances, the lot mate. And getting a "cowboy" manager in while we had our difficult times was asking for trouble. He's steadied the ship with the rest of the board and its only commendable.

But yes maybe now the ship can sail on its own, and we are not weighed down with finances constraints, it might just be the right time to change!! See prev debates on who wants what though

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »

I think the debate in the Dorothy sorted everything out too be honest.... A good place to hold a meeting about the club whilst in a sound frame of mind !!! ,, he he  ;)

le bignose

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »

I think the debate in the Dorothy sorted everything out too be honest.... A good place to hold a meeting about the club whilst in a sound frame of mind !!! ,, he he  ;)

hey up Gaz lad ha!! Yer we talked tactics didnt we mate ....... so when we handing in our application then bud  ;D

Only just had courage to come on and write today after servere depression !!!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »

Yeah I've been puttin the odd little thing on myself but not going over the top...

i can print out my Football manager record if you like and send it with it ? (altho not been on for a year or so but didn't seem to do Kevin Keegan any harm ???, how'd you like to be Director of Football if I can secure the job ?.. he he

le bignose

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »

Yeah I've been puttin the odd little thing on myself but not going over the top...

i can print out my Football manager record if you like and send it with it ? (altho not been on for a year or so but didn't seem to do Kevin Keegan any harm ???, how'd you like to be Director of Football if I can secure the job ?.. he he

ha Director of Football, the position you get when your not fully up to the managers job, but find you a job which sounds important !! Gaz i can see our managerial relationship may breakdown before its started  ;)

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »

I can answer the vics fan question

in the first year it was after he'd guided us into the conference on a budget that would have paid for about 3 vics players and taking aside the debacle of the points debate we did really well and should have been seen to survive on merit.

In the second year we finished on 50 points and looked as if we could push on.

The only time really sacking has come into question would be after an embarassing defeat to vics which concluded a difficult 1st half to the season...it was decided clearly to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his previous record, the fact that we'd really planned the season and the players for BSN and the fact that we had the transfer window to change things....in fairness the 2nd half of the season was much better and we have again finished above Droylsden, Stafford and Farsley and are thus the top non league part time team in the country.

In ther last 2 seasons we have ben a goal away from surviving on merit which all alty fans would have seen as a tremendous achievement.

So a question for vics fans;

Your lot have been in admin before, have hardly any income streams yet a bigger budget than us.........how long before you hit the skids again and with no ground who will bail you out?

Alex

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 03:43:01 PM »

The only time really sacking has come into question would be after an embarassing defeat to vics which concluded a difficult 1st half to the season...it was decided clearly to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his previous record, the fact that we'd really planned the season and the players for BSN and the fact that we had the transfer window to change things....in fairness the 2nd half of the season was much better and we have again finished above Droylsden, Stafford and Farsley and are thus the top non league part time team in the country.

i think on record that is histon but i do agree with everything that you said, the first half of the season is what has cost us and when heathcote could change things he did (due to transfer window restrictions) he brought in Young (who has been tremendus) King (who was just what we needed in midfield) Jenninngs ( who was the left back we had been crying out for) Cahill (who looked quite usefull and troubled a few center halfs) and turnbull has been a good player too and tansey and toulson looked ok in parts and at times so has battersby (goal against the forest green was fantastic). so i say wait and see what happens

Longman

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »

i think on record that is histon but i do agree with everything that you said, the first half of the season is what has cost us and when heathcote could change things he did (due to transfer window restrictions) he brought in Young (who has been tremendus) King (who was just what we needed in midfield) Jenninngs ( who was the left back we had been crying out for) Cahill (who looked quite usefull and troubled a few center halfs) and turnbull has been a good player too and tansey and toulson looked ok in parts and at times so has battersby (goal against the forest green was fantastic). so i say wait and see what happens

For me Young has been an unsung hero this season (even though we've been relegated obviously!)  If he was playing as well as he has for us for Halifax then i'm a bit confused as to why they let him go!?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »

Of the loan players who came to Alty, it's clear that Shotton, Jennings and King were the real assets.

Cahill seemed to be mysteriously underused, to my mind.    

Turnbull was OK but I have to confess that Tansey proved to be a bit of a disappointment, particularly after the promising build-up he received.

Lynch didn't impress me that much, to be honest, and James Dean scored a wonder goal but then never looked interested again.

I would let Toulson return to Halifax.

Poor old Russell Saunders looked fine between the sticks until that unfortunate injury on his debut.
However, I did notice that he was playing on loan at Gainsborough Trinity the other week, so he appears to have recovered.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Greenscarf

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »

Any discussion between Vics and Alty always ends up at the we've no debt / you'll go bust again statement!!

Serious question, though - is it possible to resolve this ongoing situation? If you stick within a budget and don't go into debt you are likely to drop down a level(s) and win little thus losing support - as fans won't tolerate a lack of ambition or watch a team that isn't good. On the other hand if you gamble or are controlled by someone / people who pile their own money in for a while and try to buy success a) it doesn't last for long and b) you risk going bust but the fans generally turn up whilst it lasts as you get some degree of success.

American football has the draft system where the 'worst' teams get first pick of players at the start of the season and success does go around. It's much more tightly controlled. Can't see that ever happening here though.

Alty and Vics have both been on both sides of this - Pye then White and Swales did it for you years ago and now you've swung the other way. We've had Connett (some sympathy for us please!!) using money from somewhere and now the new owners (too soon to assess yet) after many years of a board with little cash.

If you/we get off the merry go round where does that leave us, solvent in lower leagues? Falling further behind the FGR's and Grays etc? I know someone will say it won't last for them and I agree - but they are merely replaced by others who do the same thing!!

Alex

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »

we tryed that and nearly ended up with no club to support, so i don't think we will be doing that anytime soon.

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

Greenscarf has a point but there is a system that is suppoed to sort everything out.

It's called the wage cap

Unfortunatly it is ignored or too vaguely worded with loads of loopholes.

A strict wage cap based on a club only being able to spend (say) 60% of it's auditted and approved turnover from crowds, prize money, legitimate and defined sponsorships and merchandise would do the trick and everyone would then go part time apart from the clubs with gates of over 3,000.

But that's far too sensible to ever happen.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »

Of the loan players who came to Alty, it's clear that Shotton, Jennings and King were the real assets.

Cahill seemed to be mysteriously underused, to my mind.    

Turnbull was OK but I have to confess that Tansey proved to be a bit of a disappointment, particularly after the promising build-up he received.

Lynch didn't impress me that much, to be honest, and James Dean scored a wonder goal but then never looked interested again.

I would let Toulson return to Halifax.

Poor old Russell Saunders looked fine between the sticks until that unfortunate injury on his debut.
However, I did notice that he was playing on loan at Gainsborough Trinity the other week, so he appears to have recovered.

What about Greg Young Cult? I'll go on record as saying I think he's as fine and commanding a centre back as we've had since Paul Ellender in his prime. An absolute class act in my mind.

ib,farsley

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »

just out of interest how many  perm players have you got? You have mentioned a lot of loan players there. The big subject at farsley at mo, is how many players will b with us next year. If your in conf north next year, will you need a lot of new faces?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Graham Heathcote