Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 After having a day to reflect on events...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: After having a day to reflect on events...  (Read 4827 times)

JT

« on: April 27, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »

Firstly, i'd like to congratulate every fan that went to Weymouth yesterday, because you were a credit to the club.  I was unfortunately unable to make the journey down but watched the game on setanta, and was proud to be a fan of the club when i heard the noise that you lot were making.

Obviously devastated that we have been relegated, but nothing will ever burn out the Alty flame inside of me, like any supporter of the club.  We may have been relegated but we will never lose our hardcore fan base.  So lets use this next season to rebuild and return to the BSP whenever it may be bigger, better and stronger.  Perhaps next season would be a good chance to graduate some of our successful youth team players into our first team as well as trying to retain most of our current players.  I personally think that GH should be the manager come August, however i know some others may disagree.  They are my thoughts anyway, lets all try and remain positive.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: After having a day to reflect on events...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:36:34 PM »

I AGREE,BUT WE BOTH WILL BE SHOT DOWN.

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

I'm still with GH. He is the best at this level with this budget. If we are given a reprieve early we could be aiming for mid table in the BSP next season. If we go down then we've a good chance of making the playoffs and winning promotion. Worst case scenario is we are given a late reprieve and we have an innevitable repeat of this season.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »

I'm still with GH. He is the best at this level with this budget. If we are given a reprieve early we could be aiming for mid table in the BSP next season. If we go down then we've a good chance of making the playoffs and winning promotion. Worst case scenario is we are given a late reprieve and we have an innevitable repeat of this season.

IF we survive you think mid table? I am sorry but if we survive 20th will do me, dont be unrealistic now !!!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »

I'm still with GH. He is the best at this level with this budget.

- On what basis?

If we are given a reprieve early we could be aiming for mid table in the BSP next season.

- On what basis?

If we go down then we've a good chance of making the playoffs and winning promotion.

- On what basis?

Worst case scenario is we are given a late reprieve and we have an innevitable repeat of this season.

Not quite the worst case scenario but the only one with any evidence.

:-\

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »

I think the word I used was 'aiming'. This season, due to the tiny amount of time GH had to build a BSP squad. we could only ever aim for one place above relegation (sadly, just missed by a point). Next season if we stay in the BSP and have time to build a team I believe, based on our performance in the second half of the season, we could be aiming for mid table. That's not a wild fancy, but based on how we were able to perform once we had made a few decent loan signings. Likewise, if we go down we will retain several key players, Colin Little for one, and have time to build a squad to compete in the BSN. My worry is a late reprieve causing us to have to go into the start of the BSP season with a BSN squad.

As for GH, I'm well aware he's not everyone's cup of tea (thanks for the Peakes) but he has proved himself in the second half of this season. Give him one season with a decent squad and I think he will prove himself even more.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:42:53 AM by Acton_Alty »

markecky

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »

The position of the workers has been made clear last week but it will be interesting to see which decision will hit season ticket sales the most.

The Fan

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »

Why do people think that a reprieve will lead to anything other than another season of fighting and scrapping for every point? All this mid table talk is, I'm afraid, nonsense.

Whilst I appreciate fully that we have been attempting to punch above our weight these last few seasons, the simple fact is that too much has gone on now around the club to make anything other than change a good idea.

So, my two penny worth is to make a managerial change (any Manager who offers to resign 3 or 4 times a year cannot believe he is in a position of strength) and benefit from the increased optimism that such a change could bring. If GH stays that I won't be too angry but I do think that change is for the better.

However, all I really ask is that we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop with these ridiculous statements from the board with their gaffs (well done Mr Rowley by the way, you got the bottom 4 spot on before all else) and thinly veiled comments aimed at anyone who is (quite ludicrously in their eyes) unhappy with poor performanes, abuse from the Manager, continual relegation etc. We all know that other clubs are run poorly, that we need to understand this, that we are part time, that GH is an Alty legend, that he works tirelessly, that we won't change the way the club is run, that anyone who voices a different opinion to the board can meet them in the playground at lunch for a verbal ruck etc etc

Don't justify how you run the club every week - just do it. If you think GH is the right man - keep him, if you don't let him go. Run the club from behind closed doors as opposed to the newsletter updates we regularly receive. Just don't call the fans workers one minute then feel the need to counter each discerning voice at every opportunity.

The board should realise that the support they receive (never more prevalent than on Saturday) is immensely dispraportionate to the quality of the product on show (most of the time).

Oh and finally, if Ken McKenna does genuinely want the job ..... snap his fcuking arm off !!!!!!!!!!!!

Never more proud than I was on Saturday.   

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »

Just think where we might have finished if Colin Little had not been injured early on in the Season
Harold

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »

To fire bullets it is  generally arequirement that someone supplies them.

We have been desperately short of  an armourer this season
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:17:26 PM by AltyTunnelSteward »

markecky

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »

The performance of Colin Little this year is made all the more amazing by the fact that he has to make most of the goals he has got himself.

He would/will be frightening if he got/gets crosses coming in or a corner that is not dollied up to the keeper at the perfect height.

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »

Why do people think that a reprieve will lead to anything other than another season of fighting and scrapping for every point? All this mid table talk is, I'm afraid, nonsense.

Aiming for mid table is not nonsense if we have an entire pre-season to prepare a squad. Can we seriously not build a team to do better than Salisbury and Kiddiminster - two sides we beat this season.

The Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »

Aiming for mid table is not nonsense if we have an entire pre-season to prepare a squad. Can we seriously not build a team to do better than Salisbury and Kiddiminster - two sides we beat this season.

Exactly what does this pre-season involve that will elevate us some 10 places higher than we have been the last 3 seasons? We had an entire season to prove we were better than 21st place and couldn't achieve it.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »

I think the word I used was 'aiming'. This season, due to the tiny amount of time GH had to build a BSP squad. we could only ever aim for one place above relegation (sadly, just missed by a point). Next season if we stay in the BSP and have time to build a team I believe, based on our performance in the second half of the season, we could be aiming for mid table. That's not a wild fancy, but based on how we were able to perform once we had made a few decent loan signings. Likewise, if we go down we will retain several key players, Colin Little for one, and have time to build a squad to compete in the BSN. My worry is a late reprieve causing us to have to go into the start of the BSP season with a BSN squad.

As for GH, I'm well aware he's not everyone's cup of tea (thanks for the Peakes) but he has proved himself in the second half of this season. Give him one season with a decent squad and I think he will prove himself even more.

A reasonable explanation AA (it wasn't me who was peaking you by the way).

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:31 AM »

Exactly what does this pre-season involve that will elevate us some 10 places higher than we have been the last 3 seasons? We had an entire season to prove we were better than 21st place and couldn't achieve it.
An entire season is no good when the transfer window is closed for most of it. Anyway, I don't want to argue forever on this point, I'd just like to see what we could achieve if we really had a fair crack at the BSP.

A reasonable explanation AA (it wasn't me who was peaking you by the way).

No worries. To be honest, I think anyone who gives their backing to GH is being Peaked at the moment - might say something about his level of support/strength of feeling among those who want him out. Guess we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:14:05 AM by Acton_Alty »
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team