PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AN HONEST DEBATE
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: AN HONEST DEBATE  (Read 8496 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: AN HONEST DEBATE
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

It is very hard to discuss this issue without sentiment coming into play and particularly for those of us of a particular vintage who remember Heathcote as an integral part of our 'glory years' in his playing days.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club, a great player and it must be remembered that he did a fantastic job in getting us out of the Conference North in the first place (way before anyone realistically expected us to). He is a club-man through and through and whatever you may think of his tactics or some of his 'outbursts', his commitment to the Alty cause can surely not be questioned. He has only ever had the best interests of the club at heart.

The problem is that we have reached a stagnation point and I'm sure GH feels this as much as the rest of us. He does, as others have said, not seem to be enjoying it as much as he used to (and who can blame him?). I'm sure all the neagtive talk on here and elsewhere about his ability and his temperament hurt. He is a proud man and he has already offered to resign. The difference is that this time I do not think that he will be talked around and I feel that would be the right decision for everyone involved (including GH). I do not want to continue to see (and take part in) this sort of discussion over his future ad-infinitum. That can only be detrimental to GH, to the club, to the players and to the fans. I feel that if he were to continue, the voices of dissent would grow ever louder and we would all be left with a sour taste in our mouths. I do not want GH to be remembered for negative reasons when he has achieved so much in the past for the club. Some people seem to be suggesting some sort of half-way house whereby GH stays if we go down, but leaves if we stay in the BSP. That is plainly not going to happen. How would you feel if you were GH and that offer was put to you? "You're not good enough for the BSP, but we'll take you as consolation prize if we go down" That is not, nor should it EVER, going to happen.

It has to be realised that all of the talk on here and elsewhere not only gets to the board and the manager, but also the players. When a negative feeling starts to pervade the support, it affects EVERYONE. We all know that the BSP has absolutely no resemblance to the APL that Alty distinguished themselves in so long ago. We all know that as a part-time team with limited resources we are never going to compete for promotion or play-off places, but I do believe that we can survive in this league with a shift in mind-set. If you start off the season with the premise that we are going to be battling to avoid the drop, that is sure to have an effect on morale. I think we need to be looking at REALISTICALLY (and I do feel it's realistic) aiming for a mid table finish. If that takes a new man at the helm, and I think it does, then so be it.

To use the business anology that some like to use:

If your business is struggling, sales are plummeting and you are only barely managing to keep your head above water year after year, do you stick with the same management team or do you try and employ new people with fresh ideas in an attempt to turn things around? It may well be that the changes do not alter the state of play and then you just have to hold your hands up and say "we gave it a go, perhaps we need to consider downsizing and competing at a lower level", BUT (and this is the important bit) it may just mean the difference between going under and stabilising and building a sound foundation for further growth. If you are to be successful in any walk of life, you do not make judgements based on the assumption that they may not work out (or on sentimentality), you strive to move forward and that sometimes involves taking risks. Nobody is asking for the future of the club to be put in jeopardy or money to be thrown around in a haphazard manner. We are just asking for some serious consideration to take place and perhaps for some brave decisions to be made.

I, and I'm sure the vast majority of our supporters, will be TRULY sad to see GH leave, but I do feel the time is probably right (for him and everyone concerned). I do not want him to be remembered for the wrong reasons. If he can be kept on in some capacity that is acceptable to both him and the club then all the better, but if not he will and should be remembered as a TRUE Alty legend (in the proper sense of the word and not the devalued way that it gets bandied about these days).

It's even hard just writing this because you almost feel like a traitor for suggesting such things, but what is the flip-side?

Uncle Globnasty,

A truly inspired, accurate and eloquent post.

I do hope that the Board read it.

Mind you, your "pseudo name" might cause your insightful statement to be dismissed....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 05:29:55 PM »

I'm not sure about this idea that this squad was better than the one we had last year and was well capable of staying up. It seems a bit easy to say but I'm not sure it's backed up.

2006-07 Team was generally

COBURN
ASPINALL  BAND MUNROE SCOTT
LAWTON  BUSHELL CHALMERS PEYTON
ONEILL LITTLE

2007-08 (Up til New Year when we realised we had to get worlds most loans in!)

COBURN
LANE  SHOTTON/MUNROE  TINSON  PEYTON
LAWTON  SEDGEMORE WHALLEY LOGAN /SENIOR
ONEILL LITTLE

Was it really that much better? It's a bit hard to say exactly what the main line up was for both sides but I would have said that we lacked much the same things as we ahd the previous season (an effective winger, a left back)

Furthermore Band, Bushell and Chalmers would all have got into this seasons team.
Band in place of Munroe who went back to his previous form.

Bushell wasn't everyones cup of tea but did at least protect the back for and provide a modicum of passing and tempo in a wy that Segde and Whalley never did. Also the back four has been exposed on so many occassions from midfield, the amopunt of work and covering that Chalmers did was greatly missed. Laughable now that we thought he wouldn't be such a great loss.

I agree with Globnasty as well.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »

I wish no ill on GH, he is an Alty legend. However, I think that maybe the time has come to freshen things up.  Nearly 6 years is a long time for a manager, and part of me feels that some of the energy and battle has gone.

Personally I would get a completely new face in, not a former player or an in house appointment.  I am sure that there are those out there who can work to a budget, or can show passion in the job.  I doubt very much that this is a job nobody wants.  This is a financially secure club with an improving infrastructure, tolerant board and growing support base.

Again, nothing against GH who has done an excellent job, but what might be best for the club as a whole is of prime importance.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »

It is very hard to discuss this issue without sentiment coming into play and particularly for those of us of a particular vintage who remember Heathcote as an integral part of our 'glory years' in his playing days.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club, a great player and it must be remembered that he did a fantastic job in getting us out of the Conference North in the first place (way before anyone realistically expected us to). He is a club-man through and through and whatever you may think of his tactics or some of his 'outbursts', his commitment to the Alty cause can surely not be questioned. He has only ever had the best interests of the club at heart.

The problem is that we have reached a stagnation point and I'm sure GH feels this as much as the rest of us. He does, as others have said, not seem to be enjoying it as much as he used to (and who can blame him?). I'm sure all the neagtive talk on here and elsewhere about his ability and his temperament hurt. He is a proud man and he has already offered to resign. The difference is that this time I do not think that he will be talked around and I feel that would be the right decision for everyone involved (including GH). I do not want to continue to see (and take part in) this sort of discussion over his future ad-infinitum. That can only be detrimental to GH, to the club, to the players and to the fans. I feel that if he were to continue, the voices of dissent would grow ever louder and we would all be left with a sour taste in our mouths. I do not want GH to be remembered for negative reasons when he has achieved so much in the past for the club. Some people seem to be suggesting some sort of half-way house whereby GH stays if we go down, but leaves if we stay in the BSP. That is plainly not going to happen. How would you feel if you were GH and that offer was put to you? "You're not good enough for the BSP, but we'll take you as consolation prize if we go down" That is not, nor should it EVER, going to happen.

It has to be realised that all of the talk on here and elsewhere not only gets to the board and the manager, but also the players. When a negative feeling starts to pervade the support, it affects EVERYONE. We all know that the BSP has absolutely no resemblance to the APL that Alty distinguished themselves in so long ago. We all know that as a part-time team with limited resources we are never going to compete for promotion or play-off places, but I do believe that we can survive in this league with a shift in mind-set. If you start off the season with the premise that we are going to be battling to avoid the drop, that is sure to have an effect on morale. I think we need to be looking at REALISTICALLY (and I do feel it's realistic) aiming for a mid table finish. If that takes a new man at the helm, and I think it does, then so be it.

To use the business anology that some like to use:

If your business is struggling, sales are plummeting and you are only barely managing to keep your head above water year after year, do you stick with the same management team or do you try and employ new people with fresh ideas in an attempt to turn things around? It may well be that the changes do not alter the state of play and then you just have to hold your hands up and say "we gave it a go, perhaps we need to consider downsizing and competing at a lower level", BUT (and this is the important bit) it may just mean the difference between going under and stabilising and building a sound foundation for further growth. If you are to be successful in any walk of life, you do not make judgements based on the assumption that they may not work out (or on sentimentality), you strive to move forward and that sometimes involves taking risks. Nobody is asking for the future of the club to be put in jeopardy or money to be thrown around in a haphazard manner. We are just asking for some serious consideration to take place and perhaps for some brave decisions to be made.

I, and I'm sure the vast majority of our supporters, will be TRULY sad to see GH leave, but I do feel the time is probably right (for him and everyone concerned). I do not want him to be remembered for the wrong reasons. If he can be kept on in some capacity that is acceptable to both him and the club then all the better, but if not he will and should be remembered as a TRUE Alty legend (in the proper sense of the word and not the devalued way that it gets bandied about these days).

It's even hard just writing this because you almost feel like a traitor for suggesting such things, but what is the flip-side?

Uncle Globnasty,

A truly inspired, accurate and eloquent post.

I do hope that the Board read it.

Mind you, your "pseudo name" might cause your insightful statement to be dismissed....

Seconded. Clearly when we all thought you were meditating out of the window on that hellish train journey back to London yesterday you were indeed deep in thought. The best post I've ever seen on here by some distance. Yes, I really really hope the Bord read this before they decide what to do next.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 10:20:25 AM »

Seconded. Clearly when we all thought you were meditating out of the window on that hellish train journey back to London yesterday you were indeed deep in thought. The best post I've ever seen on here by some distance. Yes, I really really hope the Bord read this before they decide what to do next.

I was deep in something, although I'm not at all sure it was thought.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »

We were all worried about Sarf's alimentary position given the kebab meat and cheese combo he downed after leaving the Dorothy on Sum early hours :P
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AN HONEST DEBATE