PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AN HONEST DEBATE
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: AN HONEST DEBATE  (Read 8494 times)

mortlakebob

AN HONEST DEBATE
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »

Firstly thanks to all involved at the club for all their hard work and efforts all season. We are all hurting tonight.

Please can we all have a constructive debate now about the club and in particular about the manager.

I'm a loyal fan, I have never been destructive in my comments about Graham Heathcote. He deserves better than that.
It doesnt mean that we are not allowed to start a heatlhy debate about his future.

This is a personal opinion - I'm trying to find out if it is shared by the majority of fans. If so, the board of the club please give us some respect and listen to our views.

Back in August, the chairman told us all that we were aiming for a 60 points target - we have fallen 19 points short.

9 wins (including 2 against opponents who ended the match with 9 men on the pitch) is a desperate disappointment.
In truth, despite all the totally relevant points made about part-time/money/the short build up last summer, this is a failure.

The squad Graham put together for the start of the season wasnt good enough - we werent competitive at Moss Lane for much of the season.

Graham's ability to get his players to pull out results in the key end of season games is at question.
Last seson's performance in the penultimate game at Tamworth was poor. Last week at Ebbsfleet was unacceptable.
In short, my opinion is that his ability to instill belief in his players at key times has a big question mark next to it.

Last week, Graham said "this league wears you down".
He's hit the nail on the head. It has worn him down to the point where he has not performed in his job as well as either of the last two seasons, despite having more money available to him to improve the squad.
I want a manager enthused by the challenge, not worn down by it. Its still one of the great jobs in non league football.

My message to the board is, just have a think about it.
This club needs a new talisman, it needs new energy, and it needs to re-kindle some excitement and enjoyment for the supporters again.

Graham will offer to resign, please have a think about whether that might just be the best thing for the club this time.
If you advertised the job, you would have a fantastic cast list of applicants.
Just look at the impact made by new managers at Macclesfield and Northwich this season.

I respect your loyalty to Graham, but i'm concerned that some of you on that board are in danger of being too loyal. Your role on the board is to look after the interests of the football club as a whole.

I'm sorry to start this off tonight. i'm a real fan. i've donated nearly a thousand pounds to club funds over the last three years. But I really think the board need to get their heads out of the sand and listen to the supporters, Its not just a minority, amd its not just destructive comment.

I'm particularly making this appeal to David Burns. Youve been chief exec of the football league. Youve seen more football matches than most of us on here put together. Please can you and your colleagues on the board take time out to think and listen at the very least.

Hamilton

Re: AN HONEST DEBATE
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:05:25 PM »

"Please can we all have a constructive debate"

That is so important!

One thing on your comments about GH: in fairness, he did not have enough time to get the squad he wanted at the start of the season as we only knew we would be in BSP fairly late. Maybe he could have got a couple of loanees, but I think he was at a disadvantage at the start.

It is also important to remember the great things he has done over the years decades.

Bath Alty

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:09:57 PM »

I think there is a concern that if we get rid of GH there is no guarantee that we would get anyone better.  Given GH has offered to resign so often how about accepting it this time but encouraging him to apply alongside other candidates.  If this can be done with an open mind it gives us a safety net that we don't end up going from frying pan to fire and would GH some confidence that he really is the best man for the job if he gets it back?

Personally I'm not close enough to the club to make a call on whether GH should stay or go so the above is purely a rather unusual suggestion.

One thing that does support GH's view is the worst part of the season was the run up to the transfer window.  GH was desperate to get new blood in but couldn't, once the transfer window opened he did improve the squad pretty well, if he had chance for a proper summer of rebuilding how would he have done?

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »

I'm not sure tonight is the right time to reply but here goes....

The manager of any part-time team is going to struggle in the BSP. You can debate the style of play but, on the basis of today's game you can't argue about the commitment of the players and some of that must come from the manager and his staff.

The question is would anyone else have done better with the same resources? Is there a better candidate who is willing to take the job on.
I think you can judge the quality of the man by the fact that he's offered his resignation in the past - presumably because he thought it might benefit the club. Try to think who many other managers have done or would do that. Most wait to be pushed out or quit to go somewhere else.

I'd prefer to see how we get on next season (hopefully) competing with teams on a more equal basis.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:13:28 PM »

As we all know the problem is Part time!!

Until we can go part or all the way to full time we will struggle.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »

I think if we get a reprive this season then give GH another go he should have some sort of cash for players which as we all know he has not had.If at the end of next season we are in the same possision then look at changes,but lets give him a fair playing field.
Harold

Narcissist

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:05 AM »

I think if we get a reprive this season then give GH another go he should have some sort of cash for players which as we all know he has not had.If at the end of next season we are in the same possision then look at changes,but lets give him a fair playing field.

This is deja vu surely. Lets give him another chance??? Im not sure i want to wait another season to make a decision that is plainly clear already. This is our second consecutive relegation, how many managers survive that?

The excuses have ran dry for me. Following defeat at Ebbsfleet last week GH said he didnt know what had happened there and neither did the players. Its time to hand over the reigns to someone else, someone who can fill in the gaps in performance where we've been dreadful this season, someone who would know.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »

Fantastic to see a proper debate rather than the usual, he's crap or he's great.  For me the start of the season was appauling and we only managed to keep our chins up because the other four teams down with us also kept losing.  Since Jan we have been lots better using loan players, does that not point to the fact that with the right calibre of players the management team can make a difference.  Grahame Barrow also is an experienced manager and for me we should be considering the management as a team.
Northwich and Macclesfield's new managers have made a big difference but again with resources, steve bull hasnt achieved quite as well at stafford. 
For me we should keep the management team as the sacking and changing of managers does not help advance clubs. However if the board do make a change then the new manager needs years not months to change the focus of this club, there are no short term fixes that work in the long term.
I am still proud to have a club to support, whichever division we are in.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »

It's time for a change
All this “ a new manager may do worse” stuff is ridiculous. To use the popular business analogy if your failing to meet target year after year you wouldn’t stick with the same manager because a new guy might be worse.
For me, Grahams problem is that he is too negative and cautious by nature. I understand the reasoning behind his “keep it tight and stay in the game policy” but for me, all that does is put our defence under pressure and limit our options as we set up too deep (we see the whole team in the penalty box when defending corners ffs!).
The other problem is the defensive plan gives the players a negative mind-set. When we do concede the daft goal just before half-time, it must be difficult for the players to switch into “lets have a go” mode.
So the football hasn’t been pretty this season but neither has it been effective. Unfortunately I know a number of people who have vowed not to go to ML next season if GH is still manager - can we aford to lose more fans?
I’ve heard from a number of sources (away from this forum) that Ken Mc would jump at the chance to manage Alty. Ken is a winner – I would argue that Graham is not. If Ken Mc was available and willing to take the job, we would be mad not to get him before he joins Brabin at Southport. Perhaps there is a place for GH as general manager?

In my opinion its time for Graham to do the decent thing and fall on his sword.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »

I don't care who is manager...I just want to be entertained and see a left back at left back.

It's good to see so many 'playstation football managers' debating on here with the wisdom and experience to acknowledge the start of season difficulty (although i find the excuse all the cream had gone when the club has always made a point of picking the stars and bargains out of the dregs does not wash with me because we can't afford the cream anyway) and also the improvement from the transfer window onwards acknowledging the fact Graham did a good job to stop the rot.

Ken Mckenna has not been snapped up by anyone and I'm sure would love the chance at Alty.....his management record at TNS while good may not be noted by clubs in this country because it's in wales and he had money....Alty may be a great stepping stone for him.

If Ken is intersted I'd go with him....I can't think of anyone else.

I'd like the board to see if Rod (if he's still on speaking terms with us) can get becks and dave gardner to take over and I'd love a return for mad-dog in some coaching role.

Ironically if no reprieve is available I think the cote is the man for the job to work in the BSN.....if we get reprieved then what's the point of same old same old in the BSP?

There is surely a place for the cote at Alty as suggested as general manager and scout???? No-one is saying we dont want the cote ever to darken our door again!!!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

I don't care who is manager...I just want to be entertained and see a left back at left back.

It's good to see so many 'playstation football managers' debating on here with the wisdom and experience to acknowledge the start of season difficulty (although i find the excuse all the cream had gone when the club has always made a point of picking the stars and bargains out of the dregs does not wash with me because we can't afford the cream anyway) and also the improvement from the transfer window onwards acknowledging the fact Graham did a good job to stop the rot.

Ken Mckenna has not been snapped up by anyone and I'm sure would love the chance at Alty.....his management record at TNS while good may not be noted by clubs in this country because it's in wales and he had money....Alty may be a great stepping stone for him.

If Ken is intersted I'd go with him....I can't think of anyone else.

I'd like the board to see if Rod (if he's still on speaking terms with us) can get becks and dave gardner to take over and I'd love a return for mad-dog in some coaching role.

Ironically if no reprieve is available I think the cote is the man for the job to work in the BSN.....if we get reprieved then what's the point of same old same old in the BSP?

There is surely a place for the cote at Alty as suggested as general manager and scout???? No-one is saying we dont want the cote ever to darken our door again!!!

'Cote would be excellent in the role of some sort of general manager. The club is very keen to get football in the community and to develop the juniors - GH not only has a record as a great coach (Bernard Taylor was at his most successful with GH as his coach) and he would also make the juniors only too aware of the work ethic that is required to be successful. As shown by his appearances on Setanta & BBC this season, he can be a great ambassador for the club (when not stressed into arguing & fighting with people!).

No matter what anyone's opinion of GH - he is undeniably an Alty legend

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »

I know people say we didn't have the time to prepare a BSP side in time, but you look at the team from the Exeter game back in August and you tell me that back then you thought they weren't good enough (note the comments are thoughts back in August)

1. Stuart COBURN (arguably best goalkeeper the club has ever had)
15. Chris LANE (brilliant signing)
4. Karl MUNROE (much improved player from his first season)
5. Darren TINSON (finally get the man who has been a thorn in our side for 10+ years)
2. Steve ASPINALL (at this time we didn't have a left back)
7. Robbie LAWTON (play him in the middle, and he'll do the business)
6. Jake SEDGEMORE (good passer of the ball, and we could score goals from corners and free kicks)
8. Val OWEN (the bite needed in midfield)
21. Gareth WHALLEY (class player)
9. Colin LITTLE (29 goals in 2 seasons of a struggling side)
12. Joe O'NEILL (last seasons player of the year)

Subs: 10. Rod THORNLEY (doesn't have pace like he used to, but knows where the goal is)
          14. Stephen ROSE (decent squad player)
          17. Colin POTTS (fitter,with a point to prove.winger)
          19. Chris SENIOR (the pace needed to go at tired legs)
          20. Matthew BERKELEY (looked ok in pre season.no harm in seeing what he could do)

Obviously some of the signings didn't work. When a player a Whalleys class comes around, you can't turn it down, so I don't blame GH for that one.

It's annoying on paper, we arguably had our best side since 98/99. But it has ended up statisically being the worst since 96/97.

Still absolutely gutted, just watched it again and it still feels how I felt there.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

LOOKING AT THE DEBATE,THE OPINION IS THAT GH SHOULD GO.
IF GH DOES GO,DO YOU THINK THE BOARD WOULD GIVE A NEW MANAGER A BIGGER BUDGET?
I THINK NOT.
IF THAT IS THE CASE, I FEEL WE WOULD STRUGGLE TO GET ANOTHER QUALITY MANAGER.
REMEMBER,THE CROWDS IN THE BSN WILL BE A LOT LESS THAN THE BSP.

Alty365

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

If there was a change of manager I think it would be wrong to move GH "upstairs" as this has the potential to completely undermine the new boss.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »

GH has never any money to spend on players and the wage bill is capped. Whilst this is the case we will struggle.

I agree we need to prepare for the premier if we can and manage in the North if we have too.

KM is to expensive I believe, stick with GH and give him some funds if possible so we can compete for players, but will they come not knowing which league we are in?
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AN HONEST DEBATE